United Methodist Church Rejects Gay Marriage and LGBT Clergy

This doesn't surprise me at all, but it's relevant to me because I'm tangentially associated with United Methodist.  I remember a year or two ago when my mom's affiliated church held an after-service meeting to discuss how they would react or what they would do if the board approved gay marriage.  She skipped the meeting, so I don't know what they said (I don't attend at all), but I can guess (they'd leave the organization I'm sure).

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/2019/02/united-methodist-delegates-reject-recognizing-gay-marriage-lgbt-clergy.html

This issue points to a growing challenge for Christianity in the 21st Century.  With growing acceptance of same-sex marriage  etc in the general population, most denominations are liable to split along conservative-liberal lines.  But liberal Christianity has trouble keeping people around.  It doesn’t offer very much and it still has to deal with the cognitive dissonance around the basic problems with the theology.  So while fundamentalism will always attract a devoted core, it remains to be seen whether liberal Christians end up leaving theism and religion completely or whether a post-Christian religion will one day emerge to appeal to those who still need something ‘spiritual’. 

• Like 1

I only know a few people in this church. It seems the Methodists are content to claim the Christian religion without going to all the bother of learning stuff and following rules. They can rest easy in the knowledge they are still good Christians. They seem to be good people with no interest in theology, just the Christian label. If the church suddenly began telling them whom they should hate, whom they should vote for and what they should think, they will rush to get out the door.

Maybe there is another kind of Methodist, this is just what I have seen.

2 hours ago, florduh said:

I only know a few people in this church. It seems the Methodists are content to claim the Christian religion without going to all the bother of learning stuff and following rules. They can rest easy in the knowledge they are still good Christians. They seem to be good people with no interest in theology, just the Christian label. If the church suddenly began telling them whom they should hate, whom they should vote for and what they should think, they will rush to get out the door.

Maybe there is another kind of Methodist, this is just what I have seen.

That's kind of what I've gotten from the handful of Sundays I've spent at the church I'm affiliated with.  They're Christian on Sundays, then get back to their regular lives.  I think the men have a monthly Bible study, but that's as far as it goes.  When I told one member about some churches' Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday worship schedule their jaw practically hit the floor.  Another family recently left for being too filled with the Spirit; they testified every service and sang loudly and Glory! and such-not.  They were asked to tone it down and decided to find a new church instead.  I guess you can have too munch God after all.

3 hours ago, TABA said:

This issue points to a growing challenge for Christianity in the 21st Century.  With growing acceptance of same-sex marriage  etc in the general population, most denominations are liable to split along conservative-liberal lines.  But liberal Christianity has trouble keeping people around.  It doesn’t offer very much and it still has to deal with the cognitive dissonance around the basic problems with the theology.  So while fundamentalism will always attract a devoted core, it remains to be seen whether liberal Christians end up leaving theism and religion completely or whether a post-Christian religion will one day emerge to appeal to those who still need something ‘spiritual’. 

There's definitely a schism on Untied Methodists' horizon; the Liberal opposition to the majority was too invested in their paradigm to just buckle under.

I agree that in America there's a growing acceptance of homosexuality, but the real breadbasket of Protestant Christianity is in sub-Saharan Africa, where conservative values are still very much in vogue.  United Methodist could loose members in America over this ruling, but it won't hurt them as much as it would have if they went the other way and offended the church overseas.  That's your moneymaker right there.

• Like 1