Goodbye Jesus

Please debate: The Christian Bible God is a narcissist created by narcissistic human's minds

Lyra

Throughout the Bible, the Christian God's motivation has always been his own huge ego.

In the Old Testament, entire cities and civilizations (full of plenty of innocent people too) got ravaged and burned to the ground because they "displeased Him." In the Abraham/Isaac story, he gives a kid PTSD by having his dad almost murder him, then says "nevermind, I just wanted to test your obedience," and it's seen as some kind of benevolent and loving sacrifice. If a parent made their kid kill a pet to test their obedience to the parents, people would be making reports, because that's ABUSE!

Later, in the New Testament, God's "Good News" and "loving sacrifice to save us from hell" consists of believing that His son is Himself, because if you don't have that much blind faith, then He won't forgive you for all the "evil" you've done by being a normal, flawed, ordinary person not perfect enough for Him. (I'm capitalizing Him because that's how narcissistic abusers see themselves -- superior to everyone else.) And if you commit the grave sin of not being perfect enough for Him, which no one is, then you're deemed evil trash worthy of eternal torment.

Like, he can't just be benevolent by deciding to forgive, or judging based on more sensible factors (like whether or not you're hurting other people). No, you have to believe that he is the son of himself, and that if you believe that then he'll spare you from the eternal hell that he created, and if you follow his dictatorship accordingly then his mercy makes you a hero.

This is some Stockholm Syndrome shit right there.

And then, when we have world problems even today, like starving kids in Africa and human trafficking victims in Thailand and people who spend their lives since birth in prison camps in North Korea, people defend it with things like: "God is just using them to highlight His glory, since it gives His followers a chance to help them and set an example!"

What kind of person would allow horrible, long-term torture and suffering of millions of innocent people, just to prove a point that's ultimately about glorifying their own ego?

What kind of person hurts others to make themselves look good?

A narcissistic abusive asshole, that's what kind.

Please debate. :)

• Like 1

I've been watching a lot of sermons lately that highlight David and his relationship with God.  How God forgave him after his affair with Bathsheba.  No one seems to mention that God killed David's son for his transgression before letting him off the hook.  I keep waiting for it, but it never comes.

Ive been hearing about how patient and loving God is, but no one mentions how after Moses came down Mt Sinai with the Ten Commandments and found the Jews worshiping a Golden Calf God wanted to kill all of them and start his Master Race over with Moses instead of Abraham.  A lot of placation and two thousand or so dead and God calmed down and let things be.  Preachers don't talk about that either.

Of course, I've been accused of watching Christianity that really only wants your money, and there's probably some merit to that.  The local pastors I watch on the local stations are much more willing to wade into the nastiness.  Not too far probably, but they've read their shit and don't care about offending anyone.  Hell, they're preaching just as much shit about "watered down" Christians as they are about the Gays and the Liberals.  I'm getting off subject here though.

Point is, you're right, God is a classic abuser (I love you so much I'll make you suffer if you don't love me back), and His own book is all you need to "prove" it.

• Like 1

All Gods and religions have human origins. If it had not been for Constantine, it is unlikely Christianity would have survived. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator