Sign in to follow this  
DevilsCabanaBoy

Checkmate Christians!

An approach that I have learned to take with Christians is to NOT tell them about all of my best evidence against Christianity until/unless the reach a point when they are honestly questioning/seeking.

Otherwise, if they encounter even the most convincing airtight arguments when they are not in a place of openness, they will devise a rationalization that satisfies them in the moment, effectively rendering that argument useless (for them).

Better to save all of our awesome arguments until the door of their mind is open - then the arguments will be fresh and effective.

Key to my deconversionwas encountering arguments I hadn't heard as a believer in my time of reevaluating my world view - I hadn't yet immunized myself against those great thoughts...

• Like 2

On another site I engaged a fundy that was answering every question by quoting scripture. My response was to challenge the authenticity of scripture and it’s supposed inerrant status.

We exchanged several posts. I presents numerous factual errors that are in the Bible and asked him how an inerrant Bible could contain such obvious flaws. To his credit he acknowledged that the Bible isn’t inerrant. Then I asked him how he could trust the Bible’s claims if it isn’t inerrant.

When he got back to me he told me he’d been praying about this problem and he’d ask God why the Bible isn’t inerrant? Then he said God told him He didn’t need an inerrant Bible because He gave Him His Son and Jesus is all sufficient and all anyone needs to know.

That was his final post to me. That exchange just confirmed that an indoctrinated mind will find a way to validate what it’s been trained to believe one way or another. 

• Like 2