LogicalFallacy

I'll Let Myself in: Tactics of Physical Pen Testers (Breaking through door security)

• Like 1

Reminds me of my high school days. We used to pick the cabinet locks with a paper clip. We could also get into the circuit breaker boxes in the hallway. We had two lunch sessions so when we were at lunch and others were in class we'd open a breaker box and trip the classroom lights. One of the guys was good at cracking the combination locks on the lockers. He'd open two and we'd switch the contents and close them up again. Somehow we thought that was riotously funny.

In the end, security is just a state of mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, older said:

In the end, security is just a state of mind.

"A lock only keeps out an honest man."

Casey

• Like 1

Love it! I sent the link to our locksmith at work. I so want to try some of these. I also am watching the "This key is your key, this key is my key" video on YouTube. I realized our home security guts box has the same key that we use for many of our card access boxes at work.

I used to have a lot of bypass tools but gave them to the locksmith because I didn't want to keep crap I'm not using. I'm at the age where I don't want to have to move stuff anymore, so selling and giving away nearly all my stuff. I had a hundred Master combo locks and would sit at my desk at HP and figure out the combos while talking to customers. I also picked locks for fun and had dozens at my desk, including cuffs that I learned to pick behind my back, and gun trigger locks that were defeated with a street sweeper tine. Those were the days. No way I could do a lot of it now. But the keys to keypads was very enlightening. We use those all over the place, and I've seen them on other buildings. Whee!

Once when I visited my sister who lives 700 miles away, she needed to get into the yard at the public school where she taught. But it was Sunday and the place was closed up tight. I pulled out my office key and tried it in the padlock on the gate. It fit right in and with a little wiggle the lock popped open. And this was an allegedly commercial-quality Schlage lock. A colleague of mine at work showed me that, because the building was on master keys, you could use your office key to bump the locks of most every door in the building.

• Thanks 1