Sign in to follow this  

Gun Sanctuaries?

So some US Sheriffs are creating areas where they refuse to enforce some gun control laws.  They admit that they took the idea from Liberal Sanctuary Cities where Federal immigration laws aren't enforced, but is this okay?  As far as I know this is a States' Rights protest not a Federal Law thing.  Should Sheriffs be able to defy State law when they don't like it?  Are they freedom fighters or anarchists?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-sanctuary-idUSKCN1QL0ZC?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner

45 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

Sheriffs are elected by the people directly.

So are state officials, gerrymandering aside.  Whose elected officials take precedence?

47 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

Besides, the right to bear arms is protected by the Second Amendment of the Constitution. 

No one is disputing that.  What they're taking about is age limits and more scrutinizing background checks.  Is that so bad?  What do you think about the Governor's statement that noncomplying Sheriffs would be held accountable if someone dies because of their not upholding state law?

On 3/4/2019 at 11:31 AM, 1989 said:

So some US Sheriffs are creating areas where they refuse to enforce some gun control laws.  They admit that they took the idea from Liberal Sanctuary Cities where Federal immigration laws aren't enforced, but is this okay?  As far as I know this is a States' Rights protest not a Federal Law thing.  Should Sheriffs be able to defy State law when they don't like it?  Are they freedom fighters or anarchists?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-sanctuary-idUSKCN1QL0ZC?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner

They are neither freedom fighters, nor anarchists. Just some elected official that works for the County Manager.

Nevada passed a law in 2017 regarding background checks on private sales. The Attorney General squashed it , saying it was unenforceable.

We just passed another similar law a week ago. I imagine it will be squashed also. 

My guess is that these gun laws require the spending of dollars to enforce, while writing speeding tickets brings in dollars, and that's more desirable. I seriously doubt the Sheriff's Office gives a rat's behind who buys a gun. The greater concern is budget.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, 1989 said:

So are state officials, gerrymandering aside.  Whose elected officials take precedence?

No one is disputing that.  What they're taking about is age limits and more scrutinizing background checks.  Is that so bad?  What do you think about the Governor's statement that noncomplying Sheriffs would be held accountable if someone dies because of their not upholding state law?

Cops are generally above the law. They do pretty much whatever they want.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.