nontheistpilgrim

Fundamental fundamentalism in all Christians?

13 minutes ago, webmdave said:

In response to the original OP, I would say that yes, all "true" Christians at their core are fundamentalists. In this case I am not confining the use the word fundamentalist to its historical definition, but applying it in a looser, wider way to describe Christians who are convinced beyond question that the doctrine and dogma that defines their chosen slice of Christianity (the fundamentals of their denomination) is the purest and most accurate version of ultimate truth. And, these individuals are quite often self-appointed evangelists who believe their God has commamded them to share their "accurate" version of "truth" with "every creature." The quote above is a good example.

I hereby ‘like’ this post.  Evidently there is no ‘like’ button for posts made by our administrator @webmdave.  I wish there were, especially since you’ve been ‘coming out of your shell’ and commenting more lately!

• Thanks 3

On 3/11/2019 at 4:14 AM, nontheistpilgrim said:

So my question is: do folks here agree that there is a fundamental fundamentalism underneath the surface of most Christians in the pews? And has this got implications for our attitude to curious people who come here?

I also am interested in any views about possible differences in this subject between USA and UK.

I would have to say no, believers of Christianity do have a common set of fundamental beliefs, but that commonality should not cause one to define them as fundamentalists. Basically, I see the question as two questions rolled into one when really they should be asked separately; Fundamentals versus Fundamentalist.

The second question I must say no, it should have zero bearing on your attitude towards people, in my opinion. I think you may be asking about our methodology of interacting with people, which may vary from person to person.

I have never been to the UK, so I cannot speak to any differences if any.

41 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I would have to say no, believers of Christianity do have a common set of fundamental beliefs, but that commonality should not cause one to define them as fundamentalists. Basically, I see the question as two questions rolled into one when really they should be asked separately; Fundamentals versus Fundamentalist.

The second question I must say no, it should have zero bearing on your attitude towards people, in my opinion. I think you may be asking about our methodology of interacting with people, which may vary from person to person.

I have never been to the UK, so I cannot speak to any differences if any.

I like webmdave's viewpoint.

I would like to clarify in response to Lefty. I will maintain, for now, my original position.

It may be relevant that you have never been to UK. (I have never been to the USA which is why I added a proviso.)

I live in an English city and my time as a minister was amongst people who came from (or to a lesser extent were the offspring of people who came from) the Caribbean and Africa. You will know that these areas were heavily influenced by an evangelical / fundamentalist missionary push. I have witnessed the other end of this, to a small extent, in both the Caribbean and East Africa. As a minister I was continually 'battling' against what I perceived as a fundamentalist sub-ideology. Discussions about creationism, abortion, other faiths etc were not un-common. Many of these people watch 'THE GOD CHANNEL', as do some much more liberal Christians it seems to me.

Enough, I'm getting a bit angry and depressed!😨 Perhaps my fundamentalist upbringing is showing in a blinkered outlook?

In my experience there are Christians that “say” they don’t take the Bible literally, but it seems to me they pick and choose what parts they acknowledge as myth and which parts they take literally. If they didn’t accept that some of the Bible is literally true and historically accurate, I don’t think they’d be Christians.

If they don’t believe Jesus was a real person/Deity why would they even claim to be a Christian? I think a person has to believe Jesus  and God are one and the same to identify as a Christian. At least that much seems to be required. 

I have come to the conclusion that MANY people don't know why they believe what they believe.  It's just an assumption they got from someone else's assumptions, and is assumed to be the truth.  And if you question their assumptions, they may get angry and simply tune you out.  They don't want to do the work to figure out things for themselves, and don't want to admit they might be wrong about something.  They would rather live in their own fantasy world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

I have come to the conclusion that MANY people don't know why they believe what they believe.  It's just an assumption they got from someone else's assumptions, and is assumed to be the truth.  And if you question their assumptions, they may get angry and simply tune you out.  They don't want to do the work to figure out things for themselves, and don't want to admit they might be wrong about something.  They would rather live in their own fantasy world.

Very true, I believe. Very sad, too.