Goodbye Jesus

Acts 1:12-14

Moxie

I've seen so many Christians misuse the "upper room" mentioned in Acts 1:12-14 to give themselves a higher spiritual status and treat others as unclean. 

I used to belong to a Christian forum where there was an "Upper Room" for believers and a "Seekers Room" for unbelievers. Seekers were not allowed in the upper room. Not only does such separation prevent Christians from doing the witnessing they say they do, but also hurts others by casting them out as unclean.

The upper room is literally a room upstairs. The writer is stating a fact. It's like saying "the curtains were blue."

You're right, although it's not unusual (IMO) for people to develop more elaborate symbolic interpretations of texts like that. But someone ought to remind them also of Acts 10 :P

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I have never heard someone argue that. I always understood it to be the second level of a structure....bizarre interpretation. 

• 4 weeks later...

In my church circle there were references made to having "an upper room experiance" which was essentially being filled with the 'holy ghost. Never saw no ghost but some people (the same ones ) would on occasion 'speak in tongues' ... I.e. they would babble incoherently and people would praise God that his spirit was filling said person's... again. 

Pretty much all sites have off-limits areas.  Is this really an issue?  Maybe I'm not seeing the problem?

mwc