Sign in to follow this  
Joshpantera

Greenland Ice Sheet: gains even if temporary

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/key-greenland-glacier-growing-again-after-shrinking-years-nasa-study-ncna987116?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR20ICmgHxDSo85iQNYlZSEvl9-hLEXEIHaqxgMWsKQbDBBbCEN3dzJcqC8

<snipped from article>

WASHINGTON — A major Greenland glacier that was one of the fastest shrinking ice and snow masses on Earth is growing again, a new NASA study finds.

The Jakobshavn glacier around 2012 was retreating about 1.8 miles and thinning nearly 130 feet annually. But it started growing again at about the same rate in the past two years, according to a study in Monday’s Nature Geoscience. Study authors and outside scientists think this is temporary.

“That was kind of a surprise. We kind of got used to a runaway system,” said Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland ice and climate scientist Jason Box. “The good news is that it’s a reminder that it’s not necessarily going that fast. But it is going.”

It's a NASA study, we can't trust it!

Facetiousness aside, I read this the other day. I wonder if it's due to the same effect wherein the warming of the Arctic pushes cold air south thus cooling the southern regions? In the same year as this is reported it's also reported that the arctic ice broke up and allowed ships through for the first time. I guess one of the challenges is figuring out what is long term trends among the short term cycles.

And just under that article is another: https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/hole-opens-under-antarctic-glacier-big-enough-fit-two-thirds-ncna965696?icid=related Possibly Antarctica is melting faster than normal.

6 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

It's a NASA study, we can't trust it!

Facetiousness aside, I read this the other day. I wonder if it's due to the same effect wherein the warming of the Arctic pushes cold air south thus cooling the southern regions? In the same year as this is reported it's also reported that the arctic ice broke up and allowed ships through for the first time. I guess one of the challenges is figuring out what is long term trends among the short term cycles.

And just under that article is another: https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/hole-opens-under-antarctic-glacier-big-enough-fit-two-thirds-ncna965696?icid=related Possibly Antarctica is melting faster than normal.

We had a hell of winter this year in the US. Lot's of fronts. Very cold. Mostly part of an El Nino pattern. One or more polar vortex events. But this pattern had systems skimming above Florida for the most part. All in all it was mild here but dam cold north and west of here. I know during those run away polar vortex's it can be colder down here in the lower 48 than it is up in Alaska and Canada, short term. 

Whether these El Nino based winter storms going off the Atlantic coast as Noreaster's had a direct relation to the last two years of north Atlantic Oscillation, I'm not sure. But I would think the steady stream of winter systems would have a cooling affect on sea temps in the north Atlantic. These systems were generally coming in from the pacific, crossing the country and then going offshore from about the Carolina's north to New England and then out to sea. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.