SeaJay

Dissolving the Fermi Paradox

On 3/28/2019 at 11:25 PM, SeaJay said:

Well, this is depressing. Basically, there's at least a 53% chance we are alone in our galaxy and a 40% - 85% chance we are alone in the universe. 

www.sciencealert.com/three-of-the-world-s-greatest-minds-just-published-a-disheartening-take-on-the-fermi-paradox

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.02404.pdf

^ On page 13 under 4.0.4 K3 Update: "The Fermi observation thus raises our 52% credence for being alone in the galaxy to somewhere between 53% and 99.6%, depending on the type of evidence considered. It likewise raises our 38% credence for being alone in the observable universe to somewhere between 39% and 85%. In both cases the evidence from scanning nearby stars for radiation signals produces changes on the scale of a few percentage points, while the evidence of a lack of interstellar settlement in the Milky Way or other galaxies produces much larger changes."

The math used and jargon spoken is way above my understanding but what they are pointing towards is the bias used in calculating the Fermi Paradox. There are simply too many unknown qualities to say the universe surely has other intelligent life in it - despite its size. Life on earth might be unique after all.

I still can't fully wrap my head around those percentages even though they are by respected scientists. Something doesn't add up though, because on one hand, they say we simply do not know enough to go with the notion that the universe has other life in it, yet they can confidently come up with those percentages?

I have seen one Christian website suggest this points to there being a design process for us being here. And whilst I am struggling with my faith, I admit it does make me think perhaps there is an intelligent mind responsible for us being here. I understand the above proves nothing, but it does make me think.

I've posted on here in the past, and you might remember me as the guy who is terrified of eternal punishment. I've been having a terrible time with that fear since 2010. I've posted on here in the past and asked for help and I have had that help (thank you). For me, the idea was, if I could destroy my faith then I'd have no eternal punishment to be afraid of. It has really messed with my head for the longest time. That's why the above statistics worry me. I can't help think that if we are unique, special, the only life in the universe, then for me I can't ignore the fact that the bible says as much. 

Either way, it's a bit sad to think we might be the only life in the universe.

Talk about "home alone!"

Aliens exist and roam the earth by light projectors. I've talked to one many years ago, or I could be nutz (But you never know) 

According to my calculations, I think there is a 50% chance scientists are half wrong. 😎

I am reminded of this:

“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.” ~ Terry Pratchett, Mort

Also, really weird that I've stopped getting notifications these last few days. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, SeaJay said:

I am reminded of this:

“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.” ~ Terry Pratchett, Mort

Also, really weird that I've stopped getting notifications these last few days. 

It's that darn illuminate again. Bastards keep close tabs on all things ex-C. We start getting a little too close to the truth about reptilian, shape shifting aliens running the world and bam, no more notifications. Keep pushing it and bam again, thread disappears. Test our luck further, the whole site goes down. 

Uh, what aliens? 

Yes, yes, it's impossible for life to existence in the universe beyond the earth. Fermi paradox and all. Nothing to see here! 

😂

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, SeaJay said:

I have seen one Christian website suggest this points to there being a design process for us being here. And whilst I am struggling with my faith, I admit it does make me think perhaps there is an intelligent mind responsible for us being here. I understand the above proves nothing, but it does make me think.

Well of course Christian apologists will say this points to there being a design process for us being here.  If we're the only ones, they'll say "Isn't it awesome that God created an entire universe just for us!".  If the universe turns out to be teeming with intelligent life, it will be "Why would God create all these galaxies and planets and only populate one world with beings to worship him?".

I've posted on here in the past, and you might remember me as the guy who is terrified of eternal punishment. I've been having a terrible time with that fear since 2010. I've posted on here in the past and asked for help and I have had that help (thank you). For me, the idea was, if I could destroy my faith then I'd have no eternal punishment to be afraid of.

@SeaJay, I'm glad you're still coming by here and I'm glad it's been helpful to you.  Sounds like you're not free of the fear yet though, and I'm sorry to hear that.  Tell us, does Christianity still play a role in your life?  Do you ever attend church, or pray, or read the Bible, or read Christian apologetics?  Doing any of those things, even occasionally, is going to hinder somebody in your situation from escaping the fear. 

It has really messed with my head for the longest time. That's why the above statistics worry me. I can't help think that if we are unique, special, the only life in the universe, then for me I can't ignore the fact that the bible says as much.

The Bible says as much?  The same Bible that says there was day and night before the sun was created?  The same Bible that says a woman was created from a man's rib?  I wouldn't say the writers of Genesis and other scriptures knew whether there was or was not life on other planets.  Or that they understood the concept of "planet".

• Thanks 1

@TABA No I don't go to any church, I don't read the bible any more, nor do I have much to do with Christianity. Haven't done for almost 10 years. I still prayer though but that's about it really. 

2 hours ago, SeaJay said:

@TABA No I don't go to any church, I don't read the bible any more, nor do I have much to do with Christianity. Haven't done for almost 10 years. I still prayer though but that's about it really. 

Do you pray to a specific deity that you believe exists, or do you just find it helpful to pray?  

2 minutes ago, TABA said:

Do you pray to a specific deity that you believe exists, or do you just find it helpful to pray?  

I pray to God of the Christian bible

5 minutes ago, SeaJay said:

I pray to God of the Christian bible

If you have a fear of Hell and you want to destroy your faith, then praying to that god doesn’t seem like a good idea.  When I stopped believing in that god, for a while I still was inclined to pray sometimes when under stress.  I decided to direct those prayers to Jupiter instead.  I felt the same feeling of relief after praying, like I had shared my troubles.  Of course I had no belief that Jupiter existed.  But it showed that it was the act of praying that helped, not any divine response.  Before long, I lost any remaining desire to pray and instead I now try to meditate regularly instead. You might want to try this too.  I think it’s really important for somebody with your fears to make a clean and utter break with Christianity. 

I hope my suggestions help you, my friend.  I’d love to see you enjoy the peace that I have experienced since deconverting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, TABA said:

If you have a fear of Hell and you want to destroy your faith, then praying to that god doesn’t seem like a good idea.  When I stopped believing in that god, for a while I still was inclined to pray sometimes when under stress.  I decided to direct those prayers to Jupiter instead.  I felt the same feeling of relief after praying, like I had shared my troubles.  Of course I had no belief that Jupiter existed.  But it showed that it was the act of praying that helped, not any divine response.  Before long, I lost any remaining desire to pray and instead I now try to meditate regularly instead. You might want to try this too.  I think it’s really important for somebody with your fears to make a clean and utter break with Christianity. 

I hope my suggestions help you, my friend.  I’d love to see you enjoy the peace that I have experienced since deconverting. 

Thank you very much for the kind words. It’s appreciated 

On the same Jupiter line of reasoning, hell, you could do a 'Mork Calling Orson, come in Orson,' Robin Williams type of thing (since we're talking space and aliens). 😂

You and Orson could have heart to hearts. He can guide and direct you. And it can become very obvious that Orson is your own inner dialogue, as is Jupiter or jesus for that matter. Then maybe tighten it up and pray to your own inner dialogue, as your own inner dialogue. Very conscious at that point of what exactly is taking place during any prayer, of any type, addressed to anything.

That seems like a good way to 'awaken.' 

• Like 1