Goodbye Jesus

Job search post religion - any tips?

Samuel

I’ve been finding it hard to re-evaluate my insterests and job search criteria post religion.

I was wondering if anyone out there had to reconsider their interest in the work world after or while deconverting.

Hey @Samuel,

I grew up in the Oh See and found job hunts to always be brief and productive. That place is the commercial, free-enterprise mecha of the world! It seems that all walks of life are pro business there - regardless of political and/or religious leanings.

That said just be careful and do you homework on prospective employers  before opening your trap. I worked for an electronics firm there in the 90s that flat out told a few of us one day that "You WILL go to the Harvest Crusade at the Anaheim Stadium and you WILL give your life to Jesus!". Incidentally the employers brother actually had spoken at one of these things in the past. That brother's company is in your face as you head south towards Newport Beach on the "Double-Nickel" in Costa Mesa.

• Like 2

As MOHO says, just keep your eyes and ears open. I found So. Cal. to be quite open as a general rule. While there are the mega-churches, there are probably as many folks down there who could care less about what you believe, particularly in the West LA, Hollywood, Santa Monica and SFV areas. I found the Jewish community to be quite tolerant and welcoming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 9:32 AM, MOHO said:

Hey @Samuel,

I grew up in the Oh See and found job hunts to always be brief and productive. That place is the commercial, free-enterprise mecha of the world! It seems that all walks of life are pro business there - regardless of political and/or religious leanings.

That said just be careful and do you homework on prospective employers  before opening your trap. I worked for an electronics firm there in the 90s that flat out told a few of us one day that "You WILL go to the Harvest Crusade at the Anaheim Stadium and you WILL give your life to Jesus!". Incidentally the employers brother actually had spoken at one of these things in the past. That brother's company is in your face as you head south towards Newport Beach on the "Double-Nickel" in Costa Mesa.

Wow, that’s crazy. That’s can’t be legal lol. But Newport, Costa Mesa, Anaheim, that’s my area right now. I’ve been thinking about moving to Nor-Cal though. 

I don’t know if anyone else has the experience of being very used to the customs and norms of religious employers. Maybe it’s cause I just grew up around religious people and haven’t completely become accustomed to non-religious. I’ve got my BA in business and I’ve done all the billing for a small IT company using quickbooks etc... but I feel somehow I just gravitate towards the religious employers kinda like a codependent relationship. 

If it’s just me that’s ok, weird me. 

• Like 1

I couldn't work for someone whose religion was thrust upon me as an employee. I just quit seeing a doctor who used the word "blessed" at least four or five times during my latest exam. And we don't patronize several local businesses who overtly flaunt their religion or political views. I don't think religion or politics should be mixed with business (unless, obviously, it's directly a part of that business).

• Thanks 1