Goodbye Jesus

The bullshit rule

DevilsCabanaBoy

The golden rule:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. 

A bullshit rule. 

Why? 

Treating you the way I like to be treated won't make you treat me the way you want to be treated. 

You can treat me any bullshit way, no matter if I perceive I should treat you the way I want to be treated.

If everyone wanyed to be treated nicely, and everyone followed the golden rule, then it would work. But in that case I'm not sure it would really be an improvement on the Bill and Ted admonishment:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

If everyone wanyed to be treated nicely, and everyone followed the golden rule, then it would work. But in that case I'm not sure it would really be an improvement on the Bill and Ted admonishment:

That's a cornball of a movie now. 

4 hours ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

The golden rule:

A bullshit rule. 

Why? 

Treating you the way I like to be treated won't make you treat me the way you want to be treated. 

You can treat me any bullshit way, no matter if I perceive I should treat you the way I want to be treated.

Not bullshit at all.

You treating me respectfully and kindly is much more likely to result in me reciprocating that behaviour. However if you are an arsehole to me, depending what context and how arseholey you are I will go out of my way to 'get even'. Simple human nature.

A simple bit of personal experience should help demonstrate the concept. My neighbour and I recently had a.... misunderstanding. That's being kind, the neighbour was being a jerk. Looking at my text I thought shall I rain down on this moron or shall I handle this responsibly and see if I can talk sense and salvage the relationship. I chose the latter, and treated the neighbour respectfully, but firmly in the matter. In the end he closed off by saying I wish we were all as mature as you. In the end he reciprocated my behaviour. Now what would have happened if I'd gone nuts on his arse? We'd probably be in in court or something.

The rule probably isn't so much a rule as a behavioural observation.

Another way of putting it is "Thou shalt refrain from being a dick".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Another way of putting it is "Thou shalt refrain from being a dick".

God needed 10 and you did it with one.

Brilliance. Shear, unadulterated brilliance! :notworthy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sort of an entertaining thing on interpretation: this is the second time recently I've heard someone interpret the golden rule as "treating you the way I like to be treated" (instead of treating you the way you would like to be treated, or treating you the way I expect I would want to be treated if I were you). I always interpreted is more or less in the latter way, along with "love your neighbor as yourself.  I thought the point was to reflect on the idea that other people are also Selves, Subjects, in the first person, rather than just objects, others, in the second/third person. It's about perspective taking. Anyway, I just find it funny because I always assumed that was the only interpretation of that injunction, but apparently I was wrong.

Edit: also I think Wil Wheaton gets first dibs on "don't be a dick" as the #1 rule ;) It used to be the tagline on his blog...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

I don't know that it ever wasn't. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wellnamed said:

also I think Wil Wheaton gets first dibs on "don't be a dick" as the #1 rule ;) It used to be the tagline on his blog...

In any event it's tougher than it sounds.

Just ask Mrs. MOHO.  :)

11 hours ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

The golden rule:

A bullshit rule. 

Why? 

That's right. Maybe I want to be bitchslapped while wearing a latex suit and a ball gag. (Not that I've really thought about it much)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

That's right. Maybe I want to be bitchslapped while wearing a latex suit and a ball gag. (Not that I've really thought about it much)

How boring would it be if everyone was programed to follow the golden rule.

Golden Rule:  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Silver Rule:  Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you.

Brazen (Brass) Rule:  Do unto others as they do unto you.

Iron Rule:  Do unto others as you like, before they do it unto you.

Nepotism Rule:  Give precedence in all things to close relatives, and do as you like to others.

Tin Rule: Suck up to those above you, and abuse those below.

Tit-for-Tat Rule:  Cooperate with others first, then do unto them as they do unto you.

- Carl Sagan from Billions and Billions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it more appropriate to say for every action there are consequences.

Indeed, the so-called "golden rule" is bullshit designed to motivate the masses to behave themselves as the ruling religious class desires.

In the south where I'm from, this rule is usually prefaced with the phrase "Hold my beer. Hey ya'll watch this..."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my bad I thought this thread was about the Texas residence homestead exemption.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

With talk of a part 3......

On 4/4/2019 at 12:17 AM, midniterider said:

What if someone wants a hot poker shoved up their ass? 

A battery charger clipped to their nipples? 

Jesus didn't think this one through very well, did he........

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

What if someone wants a hot poker shoved up their ass? 

A battery charger clipped to their nipples? 

Jesus didn't think this one through very well, did he........

Jesus was pretty 'vanilla', imo.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 9:50 AM, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

The golden rule:

A bullshit rule.

Why?  Treating you the way I like to be treated won't make you treat me the way you want to be treated. 

Although all religions of the world are pure horseshit, many or most of them still have some "good" moral codes that I think are good for absolute atheists like myself. The golden rule is one of them.

Yes, I like the golden rule, at least a common sense version of it. But my number one moral code is the "negative golden rule." It says "don't do unto others as you would not want them to do unto you."