Goodbye Jesus

Why Christianity must be rejected

Castiel233

1-The Bible is rife with contradictions

2-Evidence for Jesus outside of the Bible is very thin

3-Prayers are not answered

4-Christians cannot even agree with each other on Salvation 

5-Even breaking one rule is akin to breaking them all, stole  a bottle of wine when you were 20, you are the same as Hitler. 

6- God knows all from beginning to end, we can do nothing to earn Salvation yet somehow we are still responsible for it. 

7-Looking at someone lustfully is the same as sleeping with them and must be punished after death with forever fire. 

8-Rape victims are complicit in being raped and must be punished, either with marriage to their rapist or death

9-God , the author of love, mercy,   goodness and justice personally killed people in the OT and plans to roast them in the afterlife.

10-Loving your wife who supports you is wrong, yet loving an invisible, mind reading serial killer who lives in the sky is right. 

• Thanks 3

It definitely looks like you have rejected it.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:47 AM, Castiel233 said:

5-Even breaking one rule is akin to breaking them all, stole  a bottle of wine when you were 20, you are the same as Hitler. 

6- God knows all from beginning to end, we can do nothing to earn Salvation yet somehow we are still responsible for it. 

7-Looking at someone lustfully is the same as sleeping with them and must be punished after death with forever fire. 

8-Rape victims are complicit in being raped and must be punished, either with marriage to their rapist or death

9-God , the author of love, mercy,   goodness and justice personally killed people in the OT and plans to roast them in the afterlife.

10-Loving your wife who supports you is wrong, yet loving an invisible, mind reading serial killer who lives in the sky is right. 

Religious indoctrination is so good and effective believers simply do not see the things you’ve listed. The indoctrination process has effectively turned their critical thinking skills and their brains normal cognitive dissonance responses off. And it’s difficult, to the point of being almost impossible, to turn their brains back on. Group think now controls them. They have essentially become programmed robots. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Geezer said:

And it’s difficult, to the point of being almost impossible, to turn their brains back on

This is tremendously encouraging to those unequally yoked among us.

Thanx @Geezer !!

2 hours ago, MOHO said:

This is tremendously encouraging to those unequally yoked among us.

Thanx @Geezer !!

I’m sorry MOHO, I sincerely wish that was not true,  but something registered with us and we were able to turn on our brains back on....so there is hope. :3:

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 1:47 AM, Castiel233 said:

Yes religions in general, including Christianity, are some of the most ridiculous beliefs of our time, and of all past times.

Still, I believe we must be fair about this stupidity so I wish to address the points of your Rant one by one.

1-The Bible is rife with contradictions.

Yes, nearly all bible scholars agree with this statement.

2-Evidence for Jesus outside of the Bible is very thin.

Tis true, but this statement may not go far enough.  Many or most bible scholars assert that there is no historical evidence for the Jesus of the bible at all.

This is a subjective statement. Some people swear that their prayers have been answered. Of course they are delusional but still we till can't prove that their prayers were not answered. It could be considered strong evidence for an individual that their prayers were never answered. But as a general statement no evidence for it can be found.

4-Christians cannot even agree with each other on Salvation.

This is true but it is not evidence against any particular sect of religion. One religion could be correct and the others wrong. Yes, impossible but still it is not a good point of argument against Christianity.

This statement is not true for any Christian religions that I know of. Catholics, for instance, generally break it down to two categories: venial and mortal sins. Venial sins are the small stuff and Mortal sins are breaking one of the ten commandments in a severe way: i.e. killing a few people, baring false witness where someone goes to jail for a crime they did not commit, and you somehow benefit from this. Maybe you were coveting his wife and now can act upon her in his incarceration, etc.

6.- God knows all from beginning to end, we can do nothing to earn Salvation yet somehow we are still responsible for it. 

Yes, this is a good argument against all Abrahamic religions.

Yes this is a fairly good argument IMO but religions can vary significantly on this matter.

8.Rape victims are complicit in being raped and must be punished, either with marriage to their rapist or death.

Very few, if any, Christian religions of today believe in this interpretation of the Old Testament. 

Yes God killed and instructed the Jews to kill many people according to the Old Testament. But generally no Christian religions of today believe that God is responsible for "the joke of" Hellfire.  So the argument that God knows all beforehand and allows one to go to hell is a fairly good argument against many Christian religions.

This statement is too sarcastic and runs contrary to most Christian religions.  It is not a good argument against religion IMO. But it is totally consistent with a Rant, and this is the category for it-- so congrats :)

OK, you've made some good points but you would still need to refine some of your points to get out of this Rant category. Yes, all the world religions past and present are a complete and absolute joke, but some very brilliant people still believe in this bullshit so logic and respect must prevail when trying to show logical flaws of a religion to a religious person, right?

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, pantheory said:

2-Evidence for Jesus outside of the Bible is very thin.

Tis true, but this statement may not go far enough.  Many or most bible scholars assert that there is no historical evidence for the Jesus of the bible at all.

I generally agree with the points you've made in response to Castiel. However the above one I am very curious about.

You claim:  Many or most bible scholars assert that there is no historical evidence for the Jesus of the bible at all

I'd just like to clarify: Do you mean no historical evidence for a historical Jesus, or no evidence for the 'Son of God bible version'?

I ask because my understanding in line with Erhman et al is that the majority of bible scholar's think that a historical Jesus existed. Of course Christians go further and say this proves all the miracle's but no scholar attempts to prove miracles historically because its... well impossible to prove the supernatural from an historical perspective. (I'd tentatively suggest it's impossible to prove today as well. Person very sick gets better - supernatural? Prove it. Can't)

However there are a few scholars (Price, Carrier etc) who go further and suggest that not only is there no "bible Jesus" but there wasn't even an historical one.

So what version exactly are you referring to?

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I generally agree with the points you've made in response to Castiel. However the above one I am very curious about.

You claim:  Many or most bible scholars assert that there is no historical evidence for the Jesus of the bible at all

I'd just like to clarify: Do you mean no historical evidence for a historical Jesus, or no evidence for the 'Son of God bible version'?

I ask because my understanding in line with Erhman et al is that the majority of bible scholar's think that a historical Jesus existed. Of course Christians go further and say this proves all the miracle's but no scholar attempts to prove miracles historically because its... well impossible to prove the supernatural from an historical perspective. (I'd tentatively suggest it's impossible to prove today as well. Person very sick gets better - supernatural? Prove it. Can't)

However there are a few scholars (Price, Carrier etc) who go further and suggest that not only is there no "bible Jesus" but there wasn't even an historical one.

So what version exactly are you referring to?

No evidence accepted by many or most bible scholars that the person described as Jesus of the Bible ever lived. If you know of such accepted historical evidence please give me a holler.  The evidence should refer to an author/ historian that wrote about Jesus during his own lifetime, accepted as being authentic. Not writings after this time when history could have been distorted by hearsay or fabricated for a purpose or money.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, pantheory said:

This is a subjective statement. Some people swear that their prayers have been answered. Of course they are delusional but still we till can't prove that their prayers were not answered. It could be considered strong evidence for an individual that their prayers were never answered. But as a general statement no evidence for it can be found.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-prayer-prescription/

• Like 1