Goodbye Jesus

Really need advice

Bazz99

10 hours ago, Karna said:

So MOHO....Is tithing a fundy trait?

What are other fundy characteristics?

No, tithing is not exclusively a fundy thing nor an xitan concept.

Fundy, short for fundamentalism, can be attributed to strict adherence to any doctrine but is classically used as a description of religious zealots or those with zero tolerance for they personally interpret scripture. 

An example would be Mrs. MOHO and her son (adult - not living with us) who read a passage and make every attempt to adhere to it in their daily lives. You might wonder at this point what happens when they read a conflicting passage but still have a burning desire to adhere, unrelently, to scripture. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bazz99 said:

Anyone still out there?

We’re still here.  You asked about tithing.  The most common version is where Christians feel called to give 10% of their income to “God”.  Since you can’t actually give money to a deity, it boils down to writing checks to their church.  Most of it is used for ministers’ salaries, building maintenance, all the stuff that goes into running any organization.  The church I attended was entirely self-supporting. A small portion (usually very small) is used for helping the needy.  In the USA, contributions to churches are almost always tax-deductible.  

You’ll be shocked to learn this, I know, but the Bible isn’t actually clear about tithing.  I believe there are one or two Old Testament references to giving one-tenth of one’s possessions.  The NT says different things about giving, but many Christians are certain that God wants 10% minimum of their gross income. 

That’s probably more than you ever wanted to know about tithing. 

• Thanks 1

And I would assume a part of that money is pumped into third world countries for nefarious acts of covert conversions by missionaries. These missionaries think they do god's work, but they do not realize (or they do) that they are very much effective in wiping out cultures indigeneous to the other lands as also dividing the communities along religious lines.

That is what is happening in India. Literally billions of dollars are pumped into India and neighbouring countries from the churches in US and Europe. The poor in these countries are tempted to have a better life and education and medical services ONLY if they accept Jeebus. Kids from such families are brainwashed so that they go against the family culture. If a handful of households accept this offer from a village, these households eventually turn against the rest of the village. Such things breed animosity and divide the previously peacefully existing community.

Helping the poor is good. But helping the poor in return of their allegiance to a foreign concept and witholding help unless this Jeebus demand is met is not good.

Andy West (an ex British journalist and present TV entertainer) came under heavy backlash couple days ago when he tweeted that prayers were not required for the people killed in the Easter bomb blasts in Sri Lanka. He said first of all prayers dont work. And then he said, while working as a journalist, he first hand saw Buddhist orphans that lost their parents in the Asian tsunami, were offered help (food, shelter) by western missionaries only if they loved Jeebus in return. He said instead of sending prayers, the world would be better if western religion was not forced upon the local religions which disrupted the existing communities.

• Like 2

So basically you pay to go to church. Wow.

Jesus didnt charge an entrance fee to the sermon on the mount did he?

So how does these pastors keep for themselves as income

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Margee said:

I met my first love 15 years ago (hadn't seen him in 30 years) and we had a reunion when I was a single woman. It was one of the most exciting times of my life. We went together (as teenagers) from 15 to 17 years old. 

He flew me right across my country and we instantly clicked. We were teenagers again. And we fell completely in lust. Thought it was love of course. Long story short after the thrill wore off....turned into a complete disaster. So be careful of those young, once wonderful teenage feelings.

When emotions run strong it is hard to separate lust from love. Margee's experience is not unique. Many of us thought we were in love but discovered with time and distance that we just had the hots for each other. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, older said:

When emotions run strong it is hard to separate lust from love. Margee's experience is not unique. Many of us thought we were in love but discovered with time and distance that we just had the hots for each other. 

That's pretty much how it was for me and the Mrs.

Over time, however, we have grown to love and respect each other - despite the unequal yokieness. Well you know...there's the MOHO is low enough to walk under a rattlesnake while wearing a top-hat because he's nonbeliever. But aside from that...we're good. :kiss:

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
7 hours ago, MOHO said:

That's pretty much how it was for me and the Mrs.

Over time, however, we have grown to love and respect each other - despite the unequal yokieness. Well you know...there's the MOHO is low enough to walk under a rattlesnake while wearing a top-hat because he's nonbeliever. But aside from that...we're good. :kiss:

Good lord! You will burn in Hell for eternity, isn't that enough for her?!?! 🤣 But I'm glad to hear you love and respect each other. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On April 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM, Bazz99 said:

So basically you pay to go to church. Wow.

Jesus didnt charge an entrance fee to the sermon on the mount did he?

So how does these pastors keep for themselves as income

What gets to me about tithing is that these Christians believe that their god had the resources to create an entire multi-billion light year universe...but he needs money. Ffs :D

• Like 1

The Church of Christ,  that I was unfortunately a member of for way too long, interprets the Bible as literally as possible. Tithing was Old Testament Law, but Christians are under the New Covenant because the Law had been nailed to the cross. Tithing is OT Law the New Covenant says to give as you have prospered. 

In the c of C that was interpreted to mean give as you believe God has blessed you financially (In other words 10% is the bare minimum and does not reflect giving as you have prospered). No one actually said that, but people understood that’s what it really meant. :ouch:

• Sad 1

Feeling pretty low tonight guys

12 hours ago, Bazz99 said:

Feeling pretty low tonight guys

Sorry, man.  I hope things look better today.  What’s up?

Spent the day with her yesterday, a wonderful day

But tinged with sadness. Says that she has too much too lose and must choose God over me.

This despite saying she was in love with me.

She said she will be married to her husband until he dies. Its gods law.

She says even if it takes 20 years she believes god will fix him and cure him of paranoid schizophrenia.

How do i possibly compete with that?

Btw we also laughed, flirted, hugged. 

5 minutes ago, Bazz99 said:

But tinged with sadness. Says that she has too much too lose and must choose God over me.

This despite saying she was in love with me.

She said she will be married to her husband until he dies. Its gods law.

She says even if it takes 20 years she believes god will fix him and cure him of paranoid schizophrenia.

How do i possibly compete with that?

She's a religious nutter.  You're not.

You should strongly consider using intellect, reason, practicality and simplicity over emotional tugs, hormonal urges, wanting to get laid and wishful thinking.

Move on.  Really, move on.

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

You are a masochist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

She's a religious nutter.  You're not.

You should strongly consider using intellect, reason, practicality and simplicity over emotional tugs, hormonal urges, wanting to get laid and wishful thinking.

Move on.  Really, move on.

^  ^  ^

She has told you in no uncertain terms that it's not going to work. The best thing you can do is to not ever contact her again. Get into some activities that will occupy your brain. Sign up for a course at the local community college. Join a hobby club. Volunteer for some community project or political campaign.

• Like 3

I hear what you are saying guys.

Damn bloody religion ruining perfectly sane people. Good people. I never imagined it could do so much damage.

Here i am, knowing that this girl will go back to a paranoid schizophrenic husband and be put in danger again.

I wish i didnt care so much...but i do

• Super Moderator

So you're in love with someone who doesn't actually exist in the real world, and have a Knight in Shining Armor pathology as well. You may need professional help if you want to stop the pain. I'm sorry you're in this position, but only you can take steps to change it. Then again, some people find that emotional or physical pain makes them feel alive, so all the best to you whichever way you choose. It may help to blame religion, but in the end we are all free agents.

• Like 3

Thanks flordur for your honesty.

Do you really think she is far removed from reality by this brainwashing.

I know i ask naive questions but i really have had no exposure to this before and am really struggling to understand how ordinary sane intelligent people can be suckered in like this.

Is it actually the case that she is yoked to this abusive husband forever...in this the 21st century?

49 minutes ago, Bazz99 said:

... am really struggling to understand how ordinary sane intelligent people can be suckered in like this.

What evidence to you have that this woman is an "ordinary sane intelligent" person?  Being infected with certain virulent strains of the Christian God Virus often results in serious emotional, psychological and mental dysfunctions.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Sorry for the pragmatic response, but the title was "Really Need Advice." Good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bazz99 said:

I wish i didnt care so much...but i do

BUT...

caring and being able to do something are two different things, and

there

is

nothing

you can do.

• Like 3