Goodbye Jesus

Waves from Mobile, Alabama

Antares

Indoctrinated into the Southern Baptist variant at an early age, I finally walked away a few years ago. Reason and truth mean more than delusion. I now feel better about myself, others and this one life we know we have. 

• Like 7

Welcome!  Feel free to post a testimony in the testimony forum, or a brief one here.

What kind of bike do you ride?  I'm a dedicated trail/woods rider.

11 hours ago, Antares said:

I now feel better about myself, others and this one life we know we have. 

Welcome Antares!

I was completely surprised that I felt the same way - better about everything. While you are on the inside Christianity tries to convince you that apart from it you'll be lonely miserable etc, leading a pointless existence in a meaningless universe and filled with hopelessness....

Quite the opposite!  Glad you found your way out.  Hope to hear more of your story at some point.

Welcome, Antares :)

On 5/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, Antares said:

Indoctrinated into the Southern Baptist variant at an early age, I finally walked away a few years ago. Reason and truth mean more than delusion. I now feel better about myself, others and this one life we know we have. 

Excellent testimony...short, informative and holistic.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Antares

Glad you made it out of the religious system. Agree this is the one life we have and should live it best we can.

PS: Is your name a reference to the star Antares?

Welcome to another astronomer, Antares! A red supergiant, rival to Mars. There are several of us here with an interest in stuff beyond our planet. Got a scope?

• Super Moderator

Welcome! Enjoy yourself.

I graduated from Fairhope High in 1965. My family is big into the Evangelical Free Church in Silver Hill. One of the hardest things I did was tell my parents at 15 (my sophomore year) that I didn't believe anymore and didn't want to continue going to church. At 11 I had stood in front of the church and rededicated my life to christ because I felt I had selfishly wanted to be a minister when perhaps god wanted me to leave the safety and comfort of friends and family and do missionary work in foreign lands. I didn't know what my parents would do after I broke the news so I had some backup living arrangements in my mind. Luckily it didn't come to that but the rift was giant and it never repaired very well. I totally love the sensualness of the warm Gulf air.

You say, " Reason and truth mean more than delusion" which is I believe the main point for me. How could I ever hope to see and try to understand life if I told myself that what most apparently was not at all true was, in fact, the greatest truth ever told? Life is at times so difficult and confusing no matter how we try that I think believing those crazy stores would just destroy me or at least make me into something much less. Like you I don't want to try to live in a make believe world; I really really want to see myself as I am and the world as it is and to the best of my ability express my own DNA as it seems I was meant to do.

Welcome Antares from Mobile, Alabama! I hope you'll hang around with us for a while and share some thoughts. (Just one more memory. Being quite crazy at 17 I rowed a leaky rowboat starting at dusk with a friend from Fairhope to Dalphin Island)

• Thanks 1

Welcome to Ex-C, @Waves From Mobile, Alabama.

Congrats on thinking your way out of the mind control.

Hope to hear more from you.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

On 5/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, Weezer said:

Welcome!  Feel free to post a testimony in the testimony forum, or a brief one here.

What kind of bike do you ride?  I'm a dedicated trail/woods rider.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I just got this Road King. I had a DR650.

312tua9.jpg

On 5/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, older said:

Welcome to another astronomer, Antares! A red supergiant, rival to Mars. There are several of us here with an interest in stuff beyond our planet. Got a scope?

I had a 10" dob. Had :(

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Antares said:

I had a 10" dob. Had :(

Well perhaps you'll get another one some day. I lust for one of the Explore Scientific truss tube dobs, but then I also lust for a 6-inch refractor, but for now the 8-inch SCT will have to do.

Clear skies!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Antares, I too  came from that world known as the Bible Belt. I now understand belt to mean something that binds one.  I lived in CA when I first accepted that xtainity and I were through. When we moved to AZ I tried going to a Bpt church just so I could meet people. However after that first few Sundays of hearing the same yarn I had heard for decades I just quit going.  One day I was at a festival at another faith (the one to which I now adhere) and I suddenly became aware of a feeling of freedom and light heartedness. I celebrated thew feeling and can still feel it on Sundays when there is no reason to force myself to go to church.

I am in the process of selling my HD Ultra. I miss it already but in time everything must go even the good things.