Goodbye Jesus

Christ on a cracker!

JohnnyWishbone

When I think about it, It's not so strange how I ended up falling into Christianity. I guess all the year's of being exposed to Easter, Christmas, Bible stories on TV, church wedding's & infant baptisms finally took it's toll.

I was already programmed year's ago when I was a child, it just took me a few knocks in life to send me down that path. Let me be completely honest though, I never really believed their religious bullshit for one moment. I think I was just living up to what they believed was good, since they have been indoctrinating me with their right's & wrong's ever since I left my mother's womb.

(I will spare you the full details of my religious experience's, because I'd have to write a bloody load of page's.)

Keep up the good fight!

• Like 1

Welcome hyperion! I also smelled something fishy from my first meeting...the night I got saved. I knew in my heart that I was getting into something that wasn't me. But it was so fun? The music was intoxicating. The people swayed back and forth.  They clapped their hands and danced all around the church. It looked so real. It sounded so real. They were so sincere. How could 1,500 in that church be wrong??  And then they told me (after I got saved that night) that god had 'special' plans for my life. What? Me? I'm in!! Didn't matter anymore if that uncomfortable feeling was there. I put it on the shelf and became a religious zealot until, many years later, when my logical brain started to kick in, I took the uncomfortable feelings and started to investigate the whole thing. I was one that always easily got sucked in when I was young. (not now/god forbid) I really started to pay attention.... and ask too many questions..... and became the pastors worst nightmare... until 30 years later..I  knew in my heart I got hooked in a cult. And deep, deep down.... always questioning the bible.....probably from day one.

But as I said, there was a huge period of many years where I truly asked the lord into my life at least 100 times because I never felt like I did it right the first time!!! 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Margee said:

Welcome hyperion! I also smelled something fishy from my first meeting...the night I got saved. I knew in my heart that I was getting into something that wasn't me. But it was so fun? The music was intoxicating. The people swayed back and forth. It looked so real. It sounded so real. how could 1,500.00 in that church be wrong??  And then they told me (after I got saved that night) that god had 'special' plans for my life. What? Me? I'm in!! Didn't matter anymore if that uncomfortable feeling was there. I put it on the shelf and became a religious zealot until, many years later, when my logical brain started to kick in, I took the uncomfortable feelings and started to investigate the whole thing. I was one that always easily got sucked in when I was young. (not now/god forbid) I really started to pay attention.... and ask too many questions..... and became the pastors worst nightmare... until 30 years later..I  knew in my heart I got hooked in a cult. And deep, deep down.... always questioning the bible.....probably from day one.

But as I said, there was a huge period of many years where I truly asked the lord into my life at least 100 times because I never felt like I did it right the first time!!! 

I don't think humans were ever supposed to believe, especially in a fundamental religious sense. Obviously you never fully accepted what those people told you was the absolute truth. Because in my thinking, if you did, you'd not be you at this point right now.

I fear that there are many who surrender to the beliefs that they are exposed to, and from there they can never escape.

• Like 2

So glad you’re out hyperholiday. How can anyone work on a real life when they agree to believe what they know isn’t true and then call that the greatest truth, etc. This is the best part of your life that’s begun with your awareness of how significant your own thoughts and feelings really are.

• Thanks 2

I encourage deep inquiry, in all the methods known to man. To me, a human is a knowledge oriented being. Not so much unique in the bonding department, but in the knowledge department, well, this is something hard to deny that it seems humans are not just better than any other species, but downright unique. At least it feels like this to me, an amator. Knowledge of thoughs, and emotional knowledge of emotions. The last one seems a key in processing any kind of trauma. Hope you continue your search, wherever that leads you.

You know, this is easily becoming something worth dedicating a lot of time to. Cult and religious, parental, anything, how the mind works. Because it shows something fundamental about the human condition. Porbably not the best explanation, but kind of like investigating cancer makes you realise more about the body and good health, more than you could have known just from a healthy person probably.

• Like 1