Goodbye Jesus

Starting to out myself

Fuego

I've found myself holding my tongue rather a lot lately. Many of my pagan and non-Christian friends on FB are mystified at the anti-abortion laws being passed in the Bible Belt, and are asking a lot of questions about the male-dominated views. I've kept from responding for a while, but today decided to start giving some insights into the mindset of believers (invisible kingdoms of angels and demons and such). My sister-in-law is going to notice and likely chime in about my words. I really can't be silent about it any more when people are trying to make sense out of what they are seeing, and they really have no clue how bizarre the personal worldview of believers is, and how much it affects the laws and culture of our country. 

My motivation for silence has been to be an influence on my young niece and nephew, but they are in their teens now and I rarely see them. I want to educate people about the mindset of serious believers, and why it is important to understand why they do what they do. This is one way to start unplugging the undeserved default respect and honor that church has in the culture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

That's a tough project — explaining the mindset of believers. Keep us posted as to how you go about this.

• Like 1

I am willing to be your wingman, if so desired.

• Like 2

So far no reaction at all from the SIL. Of the two posts I've made, one said "Thanks for educating me" and the other said "That's terrifying". Meh, it's a start. 

• Like 4

Well it is, on the surface, a very different value system. But just a personal note, as I previously said on the forum, I tend to be against anti abortion laws as right now I see that the foetus, at any age, is a person just like person. There are secular views on the issue as well. It is not a woman s right to choose over her body, it is about choosing about another human being s life.

And society, in about just every culture on earth tended to hand over authority, political and military, to a group of men because, frankly, men are and were stronger physically than women and women had to take care of young children. So before the invention of technology, it would have been a great problem to actually have the time and strength for politics and military - with the notable exceptions like queens. But I do suspect a lot of wives did wield a whole lot of influence on their husbands and the state. This is my superficial view about this issue. I mean, until very recently, there was not even a consesus in the West about slavery and segregation of toilets for negroes in the American South. So....I would not just put this on christianity,  and more on the state of nature at that point. I mean, in nature, usually the strongest gets all the authority, so...it is, to some degree, an issue of power. 

It's worth noting that Alabama has outlawed abortion because of a reverence for the sanctity of life, but right after that they executed a prisoner. Satirist Andy Borowitz wonders if they'll respect the sanctity of life by banning guns.

George Carlin made some good points about abortion and the hypocrisy of those who oppose it. This was in 1996 and it's even more relevant today.

• Like 2

I am aware of that issue  in a way it is not hypocrisy as a foetus has not done anything worth of criminal punishment. Anyway for me the issue of ethics is really complicated in general not inly on this issue. And Carlin is a comedian. I laugh but I don t get mu ethics advice from him.

On topic. Religions have their own reality definitions. Bear in mind that modern egalitarianism had its own set of these. You, fuego,  are acting like a guide or translator. Tough job. God speed to you sir

Yeah, my main goal in this is to translate the "Where the hell did this come from?" that I keep hearing. I've had one more comment from a lady that saw someone actually say that abortion clinics were offering babies to Satanists. That's a less common myth in fundy circles, but not entirely uncommon. In my experience with church, "I heard" often equates to "fact" in the minds of many. I guess that applies to social media also.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, Fuego said:

I've found myself holding my tongue rather a lot lately. Many of my pagan and non-Christian friends on FB are mystified at the anti-abortion laws being passed in the Bible Belt, and are asking a lot of questions about the male-dominated views. I've kept from responding for a while, but today decided to start giving some insights into the mindset of believers (invisible kingdoms of angels and demons and such). My sister-in-law is going to notice and likely chime in about my words. I really can't be silent about it any more when people are trying to make sense out of what they are seeing, and they really have no clue how bizarre the personal worldview of believers is, and how much it affects the laws and culture of our country. 

My motivation for silence has been to be an influence on my young niece and nephew, but they are in their teens now and I rarely see them. I want to educate people about the mindset of serious believers, and why it is important to understand why they do what they do. This is one way to start unplugging the undeserved default respect and honor that church has in the culture. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 2:57 AM, Myrkhoos said:

It is not a woman s right to choose over her body, it is about choosing about another human being s life.

So if another person needs my liver to survive and I don't want to give my liver should I be forced to because it will save the person's life?

On 5/30/2019 at 12:54 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

So if another person needs my liver to survive and I don't want to give my liver should I be forced to because it will save the person's life?

This is starting to look like a debate. This thread is not the place for it. Already burned myself with that. We could PM or move this to the debate area of the site. 

52 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

This is starting to look like a debate. This thread is not the place for it.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

11 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

This is starting to look like a debate. This thread is not the place for it. Already burned myself with that. We could PM or move this to the debate area of the site. 

Agree I'm formulating a position which I will post in a separate thread.

Apologies @Fuego I've been mulling over the topic over the last month so when I saw Myrkhoos post it peaked my interest.