Goodbye Jesus

Get'em while they're young

JohnnyWishbone

Drag-Me-to-Hell-Harry-Potter-59884.thumb.jpg.13d237648ae5309414fc486c580fd7b4.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

get your butts down here in Australia, you won't live in such tension & fear as you do there.

Dude, you have 8/10 of the worlds deadliest snakes and 7/10 of the worlds deadliest spiders. Giant crocs, breeding great whites, killer jellyfish and those terrifying drop bears. How do you not live in fear when your lizards are the size of dogs and your dogs steal babies? 😋

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wertbag said:

Dude, you have 8/10 of the worlds deadliest snakes and 7/10 of the worlds deadliest spiders. Giant crocs, breeding great whites, killer jellyfish and those terrifying drop bears. How do you not live in fear when your lizards are the size of dogs and your dogs steal babies? 😋

Yeah, and we don't even have gun's to deal with these threats.

😛

8 hours ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

Have we not found a myriad of cure's & solutions to many problems we've had for thousands of generations? So yeah, I'd say that the universe has a built in key for solving all our woes.

Or we can take Yahwank at his word and use chickens blood to cure leprosy.

It a simple swap. This IS "ExC". So now what was once attributed to "God" is now attributed to the "universe" with ZERO evidence that the universe has done so.

16 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Some families will absolutely do that, but most go the other track and simply do not discuss religion at al

Purposeful omission of information does not allow the youth to make a full-rounded decision you all pride yourself on affording them.

20 minutes ago, LuthAMF said:

It a simple swap. This IS "ExC". So now what was once attributed to "God" is now attributed to the "universe" with ZERO evidence that the universe has done so.

I don't think that anyone is anthropomorphizing "the universe" as they would a god and imagining that he or she did something magical. What are you suggesting that there is no evidence for? We have observed many things which people like to think God created or interrupted natural law to influence but have instead found that they happen naturally and often in a most ungraceful manner.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LuthAMF said:

Purposeful omission of information does not allow the youth to make a full-rounded decision you all pride yourself on affording them.

Many of us favor teaching children about as many religions and cultures as we can. Do you do the same? How about secular perspectives?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
32 minutes ago, TrueFreedom said:

Many of us favor teaching children about as many religions and cultures as we can.

Precisely what I have done with Redneck Jr. and Redneck Đàn em. 

I might add that Jr. is fascinated by Hindu deities, while Đàn em tends toward an agnostic approach to Buddhist philosophy.  I am proud of them both.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
11 hours ago, LuthAMF said:

Redneck says,
"Yet here we have a "true christian" presuming himself equipped to teach atheists about atheism."

Please support this claim by producing a direct quote from me in which I presume this.  Otherwise, yet another unfounded assertion.

webmdave has already provided that information for us in The Den, complete with videos and everything.  No sense in me belaboring the point.

"Prof" also says,
""Virtues", however, is your term, not mine, for the difference in approach between critical thinkers and the religious.  It's good that you recognize them as virtues, in theory at least; perhaps someday you can recognize them in practice as well."

You devious, slithering snake.
I said "alleged virtues". I also said it's disparaging PRESUMPTION.  Conveniently ignored those words, though, didn't you?

There is a difference between presumption and knowledge borne from experience, especially for those who have experienced both sides of an issue.

"All parents are guilty of either omitting information or over-emphasing other"

But Prof says,
"This is quite different from indoctrination.  To equate the two is intellectually dishonest."

Only in your demented world.

This doesn't merit comment beyond pointing out the intentional ignorance required to make such a statement.

• Super Moderator
9 hours ago, freshstart said:

"You devious, slithering snake." - LuthAMF

That . . .is fucking hilarious. . . .You GO Harry Potter!

Sorry . . . I'm a li'l bit drunk.

Per pottermore.com, I am indeed a Slytherin.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LuthAMF said:

Things exist. As to why and how they exist, the distinction is between natural, observable activity and magical intervention. Make a case for magic and I'll listen, otherwise it's an unfounded assertion no better than the Xenu story.

Not understanding how an eclipse, a volcano or any other aspect of our universe works is not an invitation to use "God Did It" as a place holder for the as yet unanswered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LuthAMF said:

Actually if anything LuthAMF, our current understanding of universe itself & the natural process of evolution is the very thing that's fucking your religious shit up. 

20 hours ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

Or we can take Yahwank at his word

😂

4 hours ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

Actually if anything LuthAMF, our current understanding of universe itself & the natural process of evolution is the very thing that's fucking your religious shit up. 

Dig that hole.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, LuthAMF said:

Dig that hole.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, Joshpantera said:

On 5/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, Joshpantera said:
  On 5/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, LuthAMF said:

Neither is it an accident or random happenstance.

And you have the evidence to prove this bold claim? 

Or do you concede that the above is complete speculation on your part, and that you don't even have any possible way of knowing whether or not the universe and reality is an accident, random happenstance, or otherwise? 

Again, who's the one making bold knowledge claims in this discussion, LuthAMF? 

You've ignored answering the questions for quite a while now. What gives? 

22 hours ago, LuthAMF said:

How much education on a subject would meet your requirement? Is a summary of religion enough? Maybe an hour on history? Or does it need to be days? Do you advocate the same time be spent on Islam, scientology and Christianity? 

Omission must occur simply because there is limited time in our lives. Whether you believe the amount of information given to a child is adequate is a very subjective question. Some people see no value in religion so will focus that limited education time on more real world subjects. Other parents will invest more time in the more common religions. I don't see any objective way to say which parts of education are more important or how much time each subject deserves. 

You know the one thing I was never told when I was young, the one thing never questioned? That was God is real, Jesus died for my sins, and if I didn't believe that I'd go to hell. Heck we went through sessions of questioning if the earth was really a sphere for fucks sake because it says in the bible the "four corners" and there ain't no fucking corners on a globe is there!?

The title is right - get em while they are young. Don't ask questions, if they do ask questions obfuscate and deflect, or when shit really hits the fan make up bullshit!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator
26 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

How much education on a subject would meet your requirement? Is a summary of religion enough?

I think it bears pointing out that many christian parents hardly, if ever, actually read the bible, at least here in America.  It goes back to Luth's statement that an illiterate is not equipped to teach grammar.  There is both truth and falsehood here.  An illiterate may not be able to write in complete sentences, yet still be a brilliant orator.  In this way, the illiterate may have a considerable amount to teach concerning sentence structure, diction, word placement, etc.  Likewise, christians who do not read the bible would have some qualification when it comes to dogmatic instruction.  But their qualifications should be just as questionable as that of the illiterate.  And how much of their doctrine genuinely matches the scripture book they've never bothered to open?

However, I hardly expect all religions to be taught equally from a guy who describes the Koran as a "false equivalent".

On 5/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, LuthAMF said:

Of course it's always "brainwashing" when it comes from the Christian perspective. That prejudice precludes you from seeing it in your own "system" as you applaud yourselves.

Brainwashing is not restricted to religion. It is prevalent in many aspects of society. The problem with indoctrination and/or brainwashing is that the victim is unaware that they have been brainwashed. If they were aware then they would take steps to reverse that process.

This site is an obvious example that demonstrates religious brainwashing can be reversed. The process requires the victims willingness to acknowledge facts and evidence and to reject beliefs that are not supported by evidence. Unfortunately many deeply brainwashed people cannot do that. 

• Like 1