Goodbye Jesus

Support for us who are debilitated by anomalistic experiences like synchronicity, esp etc.

Musicmatters

I suffer from a severe mental disorder called OCD. And as many of you may already know, many people with ocd and other mental illnesses suffer from strange and debilitating anomalistic experiences like strange coincidences and synchronicities that we can't explain. (Normal people deal with them too, but they're more severe in mental illness sufferers) 

The experiences of these events feel telepathic and psychic like, or like we're manifesting it with our thoughts. For us with illnesses like OCD, they scare us and cause depression, distress, and anger. Many of us are fighting to be skeptic and rational thinkers when it comes to things like the paranormal, but these experiences keep happening and they're driving us insane.

What we go through is what psychologists call magical thinking, and we want to accept that and move on, but our experiences are so strange and debilitating that instead of moving on, our ocd progresses into a form of ocd called "ocd with psychotic features or ocd with poor insight"

Our ocd is so bad that we're on the same level in suffering as schizophrenics.

*I know this is true because of my own suffering and reading about the severe suffering of other OCD sufferers.*

During my research I found out that schizotypal and schizophrenia sufferers also go through these synchronistic/psychic like experiences.

And many theories have been brought forth like too much dopamine causing overactive pattern recognition, among other explanations. But the experiences happen so much and feel so real that the explanations don't add up and im left in severe mental pain.

Here's a link to the theory that dopamine causes overactive pattern recognition in mental illnesses like schizophrenia:

https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en/publications/from-realworld-events-to-psychosis(699417f3-841e-4b2c-aa62-79fef843c3d5)/export.html

After searching and searching for more rational explanations, I realized that with these type of things it will be impossible to find a definite answer to.

So after awhile I realized that the best thing that could help me was by finding a place of like minded people who also go through these things as well so we can share similar experiences and find peace.

Before this forum my favorite ocd forum was "stuck in a door" (which is nolonger working) because it had many posts of people going through these experiences. And it really helped me out alot and helped me stay strong without worrying about finding an answer.

I'm creating this thread so that people who suffer from these experiences can have a place to to find relief by reading other people's experiences and to share their own experiences to help others.

I feel like this is one of the most debilitating things an ocd or any mentally ill person can go through. I say that because so many cultures around the world accept the things we go through as already true without trying to find other natural explanations first.

But many of us mentally ill people (despite our experiences) are fighting to be rational, critical thinkers and scientific minded, but because of so many people who believe in this stuff without investigation, it makes it painful for us, because it's hard to find rational dialogue about our experiences.

Many of us want to find a place where others share our experiences and a place where scientific minded people will try to give rational explanations to what we go through.

For many ocd issues the common advice is: accept it and walk away.
But there are certain things that are just too difficult to accept and walk away. To walk away from some things, first we need to know we're not along to give us strength. And this is one of those things.

And I hope this thread can be that place for those of us who are contemplating suicide because of these experiences.

Personally I suffer from many strange anomalistic synchronicity or psychic experiences. I will explain one of them below. Right now I feel horrible and like the only way out is suicide. So I look forward to reading other comments regarding these experiences to give me some type of peace.

Here's one of my regular experiences:

A scary intrusive thought hits me, and  then my mind suddenly thinks that the random world "Bob" will be said to confirm that it's true. For some strange reason I can sense Bob being said.  It's like the word Bob will be a sign of confirmation. Then in a split second the word Bob is actually said and I freak out and panic, because these strange things are not supposed to happen. This happens to me multiple times a day. And it's not just words, it other specific sounds and events.

I fight to be rational but It gets so bad that I feel that something supernatural is causing it to happen to destroy my life. And I have to immediately go to google to search for rational answers to get my rationality back.

It all happens in either a split second, or a 5 second window. First the intrusive thought  then the intrusive thought of a sudden word or sound or the thought of something else happening to confirm it as a sign happens right after thinking it. Then the things I saw as a sign actually happens. It never fails.

Sometimes these signs will seem to be caused by my next action, for example: sometimes there is a strong intrusive thought of something bad or good happening and then a feeling that if I turn left or right to pick up something for example, then the specific noise will happen that will confirm the good or bad thought as true. Sometimes the noises feel like they're just waiting for your next action to synchronize it with the sound you're thinking of, so that the universe can show you that it all is real, and that it's goal is to hurt you. It feels as if you're manifesting it into reality.

Here's an interesting example story:

When me and my ex girlfriend were together we we're texting back and forth while she was at work. (We met online, she lived overseas, and we had never met in person) Suddenly while we're texting, she stops because she gets too busycat work. During this time I take a break myself and I go in the kitchen to get something to eat. So I can take a break with her. I left my phone on the bed. I leave for 2 or 3 hours. While I'm gone, it hits me that she's obviously gonna text me back before I get back into the room giving that I will be gone for so long. The longer I stay gone I start to hope that she has already texted me back. But then a scary ocd intrusive thought hits and says that she hasn't texted me back yet, but that she will do it as soon as I get back settled into my room, and that that will prove that we're all connected or something or that there's a psychic or law of attraction type thing happening with all of us and it will prove that a supernatural force is controlling everything.

After this intrusive thought I'm hoping that she has already texted me to prove this ocd type thought wrong.

But unfortunately when I get back into the room everything happened as I thought it. But with a horrible twist:

I entered my room. My phone was sitting on my bed on the charger. At this point I didn't know if I got a text from her or not.  I was afraid to check it because I had a strong feeling that OCD was right and that she hadn't yet texted me back. A minute had gone by without me checking and I was really anxious.

I think I then checked it and confirmed that there was no text and found myself even more anxious because the OCD thought was beginning to manifest.

While severely anxious I put my phone down on my bed, and opened my dresser in my room and then while looking through my dresser this strong intrusive thought and feeling hits me that my girlfriend is gonna die and that when I turn left to reach for the item i was looking for, she will text me in that exact moment to confirm that it's true. And I pause for a moment in fear, and panic, and anger, and then after waiting for a good minute I try to challenge the OCD by angerly turning left and getting the item, and just like the OCD told me, she texted me! How in the hell does this stuff happen!? Right on cue as if it was destined! The whole time deep down inside from the moment the intrusive thought hit me while I was in the kitchen, I felt like the thought was correct, and that she wasn't gonna text me until I got into my room and settled in for at least 3-5 minutes.

Those moments happen alot faster and more consitant than the example above, but I just thought that was an important story to show the other ways it can manifest.

As I mentioned briefly before that story, it also happens with good positive thoughts. For example: You have a good positive thought about something in your life and then the OCD instrusively says that you're gonna hear something that's gonna confirm it as true, and that it will mean that something supernatural exists. And just as OCD predicted, the sound that it intrusively put into your mind is actually heard seconds later and in that moment you feel that that positive thought is tainted because you don't won't to believe something supernatural is controlling everything. It happens so often that It feels like a evil force is doing this to mess with you so you can't enjoy anything in life. It hits you so hard that you just break down and cry sometimes. It causes fits of rage and anger because you know this shouldn't be happening this often.

It's not just with sounds in the environment and words from people. But it's also with numbers on clocks and any other thing you can imagine. But it's just more constant with words and sounds from people and inanimate objects. I.e. telphone ringing, car horns, heating and air conditioning coming on and going off and radios and TV's. Etc. 

I tried to find rational explanations for these things like the subconscious, intuition, confirmation bias, or just having psychotic breaks from the severe OCD. And in the past I started to feel better with these explanations, but then I realized that it was happening so much that non of the explanations added up anymore,  and i realized it's not delusion, or any other explanation, but that it was actually happening.

A long time ago I read on another ocd forum someone explaining this experience as "automatic coincidence"

And that's the perfect explanation, it feels automatic as if the synchronicity was destined to happen in the sequence.

Or like you're manifesting it into reality. If there is a rational explanation then the only one at this point would be the one by psychologist Kirby Surprise who says that we control 3 to 6 percent of our environment and the other one being quantum entanglement which says that our minds are naturally connected through quatum mechanics.

Here's two YouTube videos of Kirby Surprise explaining his theory of synchronicity:

(Part 1):

(Part 2):

Here's a rational perspective on quantum entanglement and psychic experiences:

https://www.yourtango.com/2018310374/what-quantum-entanglement-and-how-it-explains-why-some-people-are-psychic

And here's a link to a scientific study that says that we unconsciously react to events up to 10 seconds before they happen. And it’s called “Predictive Anticipatory Activity”

https://www.dailygrail.com/2014/03/scientific-research-suggests-we-unconsciously-react-to-events-up-to-10-seconds-before-they-happen/

Many people experience these type of things with deja Vu, but I don't experience it that way, (or at least not that often) I just usually get a strong intrusive psychic sense of a word or sound from someone that I didn't choose to think of, and someone says it a second or 5 seconds later.

With these experiences I've been on the verge of suicide and getting closer and closer everyday because of the severe mental pain they cause.

The only reason I'm still alive is because of well known paranormal skeptics that I look up to like James Randi, Michael Shermer, Kirby Surprise, and Susan Blackmore among  many others.

(James Randi's rational explanation for synchronicity/Psychic experiences):

(One of Susan Blackmore's discussions about the existence of the paranormal):

In an effort to better understand these experiences and provoke rational discussion I will also like to add that people who do drugs like weed and psychedelics also experience these type of things often. So is there a correlation with a brain suffering from mental illness and a brain that's high on drugs? From my research on drug users who have these experiences, my verdict is that there is and I suggest that we study these people.

What ever is in those drugs that's causing their brains to experience these things must be the same thing that's in the brain of a person with a mental illness.

Here's one of those posts by a drug user experiening this. It's from a marijuana support forum: https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/telepathy-psychic-abilities-whilst-stoned-d.283254/

Ironically after I calm down from these OCD/synchronicity attacks and I see a little rationality, I find myself facinated by all these experiences, because I wonder how is it possible for a simple brain to do all of these things!

If anybody else sufferers from these things please share and give me some type of peace that other people are in this fight with me.

My goal with this post is to find rational people who have dealt with these experiences in the past or who are also dealing with them currently, so we can look at the rational explanations I provided, and have rational discussions regarding what most likely is happening here so we can promote a more peaceful mind in sufferers.  I'm mainly looking for skeptics who went through this before but who over came it and remained skeptics.

I look forward to hearing from many of you.

IF THIS POST WAS TOO LONG TOO READ THEN HERES THE SHORT SUMMARY:

I'm Debilitated and sometimes suicidal because of anomalistic experiences like synchronicity and psychic phenomenon and looking for support, and a rational discussion based off the scientific sources I provided. I'm mainly looking for skeptics who went through this before but who over came it and remained skeptics to give me strength to overcome it myself.

But I will like to add that although my rational side has been weakened by my illness, I'm still a rational thinker at heart, so I expect rational discussion here based on the sources I provided, thanks.

• Like 2

Wow! 

Big entrance and a lot to take in. I'm sorry that you are suffering. This forum is no replacement for professional counseling, BTW. And that really has to be made clear when approaching posts of this nature. I don't see why we can't discuss it, but keep the disclaimer in mind. 

Long story short, there's a lot going on with this issue. I've been reading and studying about it for a while now. This is going to go in the direction of mind and consciousness. We have threads about that in the spirituality section: 

Everything becomes muddled when you forget to check if you've locked the garage door. 

:)

2 hours ago, hyperholiday said:

Everything becomes muddled when you forget to check if you've locked the garage door.

Dude! The guy is having a serious issue every day and you make fun of it? Knock it off. And you don't have to quote the entire post to make a response.

Mental conditions related to Obsessive, Compulsive, Disorders (OCD).

An expert on this subject, clinical psychologist Dr. Steven Phillipson studies intrusive thoughts and brain signals. In particular, Dr. Phillipson studies the Amygdala. This part of the brain constantly sends messages to another part of our brain that does the cognitive thinking and makes autonomous decisions.

For someone experiencing unusual amounts of  intrusive thoughts, the most common place where these thoughts are created and developed, is not a part of the brain that reflects character development or autonomous decision making. These mental intrusions usually enter the mind in the part of the brain where you define yourself, the Amygdala. This process is what makes intrusive thoughts seem so contrary to who you believe you are as a person.

According to Dr. Phillipson, intrusive thoughts are a mental disorder, not a mental illness, but they can be disturbing or debilitating none the less. When an intrusive thought hits, Dr. Phillipson calls it a spike. The mental rituals that result from such a condition are called the rumination. The rumination is where a person gives undo importance to such thoughts. These people rather than dismissing such thoughts out-of-hand before they have time to develop, instead dwell on them and cannot easily ignore or discard them. Through this distinction, Dr. Phillipson has defined the brain’s signals in a way that’s more meaningful for someone who experiences and gives undue importance to intrusive thoughts. Such ruminations relate to a similar phenomena called day dreaming and can relate to a person's lack of focus concerning their daily and over-all objectives.

"If you are a person that believes intrusive thoughts could be affecting your ability to lead a normal life, contact a local psychologist to start on your personal path toward the correction of this mental disorder."

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/blog/causes-of-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-in-the-brain/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fuego said:

Dude! The guy is having a serious issue every day and you make fun of it? Knock it off. And you don't have to quote the entire post to make a response.

Enforcing a positive? That won't get you nowhere.

I was looking for people who also have the experiences and who are debilitated by them, not a old worn out lecture on OCD. 

I know OCD too well, and the ways that it can manifest. I've been suffering from it for 20 years.  So I'm not hearing anything new their. I was looking for a rational scientific discussion on anomalistic experiences that we can't explain and that are made worse when also suffering from a mental illness like OCD. 

If this is not the right section for this discussion then moderators please move this post to a section that is better suited for it. Thanks. 

And p.s. it seems when I post on this forum it removes all of the spaces between paragraphs and make things hard to read. That will explain my long wall of clumped up text if you see it that way. 

3 hours ago, Musicmatters said:

.....................................Is it possible to edit a post?

After you post for awhile and there are no problems with your postings, the moderators will allow editing for a limited time after each posting. A moderator or somebody else might be able to tell you how long it takes before you can edit.  I expect that somewhere in the "rules of the forum" you can find out. Good Luck.

Musicmatters,

I looked at your links. They are not directly related to any identified scientific studies. I think that it is important to realize that the paranormal is not accepted by mainstream science, especially quantum entanglement or anything in physics. Even if there were such research, nearly all in science, and most in psychology would consider a paranormal conclusion as bogus. I believe there are far better and realistic conclusions to synchronicity than the paranormal. I would expect this perception directly relates to intrusive thoughts, as you identified this symptom of your psychological condition.

I have had a single experience of deja vu that stuck in my mind. I had a single image of a buildings lobby, people walking across the room and a woman in a white dress suit walking passed me. The next day I popped into the lobby of one of the tower blocks in the city and froze as the scene was exactly what my brain was remembering, right down to the lady in white. 

In a split second it was gone and it was a real whoa moment. I thought a lot about that moment and the conclusion I came to was that the original image was actually very vague. It was like a dream and the people would have been little more than faceless blobs. Once the real scene was overlaid in my mind it filled in the details with reality. Did i originally dream a white dress or was it just lightly coloured? Was it coloured at all or did I fill that detail in after the fact? 

The only way to know for sure would have been to write or draw the scene and share that experience with others before it happens. How much detail did I really know? It is impossible to say now that the memory is fixed. 

It is also worth thinking how often such a event could occur. Similar to your example of hearing the name Bob, if that is a friend, family member or a character on a show you watch then the likelihood of that coming up is high. In my case, working in the city meant that I walked passed this particular building every day. I'm sure the whoa moment would have been just as strong 2 days, 3 days or even a week later. 

Our memories are amazing things that we do not understand. We can recall live action, voices, fine detail, colours and smells but how is such data stored in our brains for instant recall? There are savants who can memorise entire libraries of information, and yet most of us will forget where we dropped our keys. We have the Mandela effect showing our memories can be changed after the fact and crime scenes where three eye witnesses all describe different offenders. 

Fascinating subject but not one I think we will understand any time soon. 

• Super Moderator

"Paranormal" events are explained, debunked and given rational explanations year after year, yet the claims continue. I don't think more scientific explanations will take the place of psychotherapy, as there's more going on here than just some debatable paranormal activity. Nobody here is qualified to address such issues, so I hope you find the right kind of help and achieve some peace.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, Musicmatters said:

Thank you @pantheory, @Joshpantera, and @Fuego

This thread is also in the spirituality section and I've summoned @midniterider to your links on Kirby Surprise so we can try and discuss him further. 

• Thanks 1

The number 777 has been appearing regularly through various forms of information I have been connected to. I looked that number up, and supposedly it's not really God's number. It has more to do with man's spiritual awakening.

Oi!

9 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

This thread is also in the spirituality section and I've summoned @midniterider to your links on Kirby Surprise so we can try and discuss him further. 

I feel as if I've been summoned. I just dont know where to.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, midniterider said:

There wolf, there castle: 

28 minutes ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

The number 777 has been appearing regularly through various forms of information I have been connected to. I looked that number up, and supposedly it's not really God's number. It has more to do with man's spiritual awakening.

Oi!

You should be paying attention to Kirby Surprise too, for similar reasons. Watch the two embedded videos with the above post in mind. 

Roger that. Reading.

45 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

You should be paying attention to Kirby Surprise too, for similar reasons. Watch the two embedded videos with the above post in mind. 

Who's this Kirby?

54 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Summoned from the grave. Oh! Awaken you mingled parts of flesh. 

Buzz!

50 minutes ago, JohnnyWishbone said:

Who's this Kirby?

There's a part 2 as well: 

1 minute ago, Joshpantera said:

There's a part 2 as well: 

Fuck off you American pig!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few links from different forum users who my experiences are similar too. The difference is I have OCD and they seem to be healthy. I'm adding the links so we can realize that this is a very common thing for many people and so we can figure out what could be causing this in us.

Please check out these links:

(1.) https://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/comments/37mtcw/im_having_these_weird_psychiclike/

(2.) https://www.reddit.com/r/LSD/comments/2v6xtr/precognition_telepathy_what_happened/

(3.) https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/16947-knowing-things-before-they-happen/

(4.) this last link is one from a user who not only describes these experiences perfectly but who also has a very interesting scientific theory on why these type of things happen:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/326032-quantum-sequencing-paradoxes/

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Have to say though, this is still raw with me and I don't really want to discuss this in PM or similar. I'm sorry but it overwhelms me and I can't deal with it. I'm just posting this to let you know you are not alone. This has TERRIFIED me for nearly 10 years. Honestly, if it wasn't for therapists and the good folk on this forum, I dread to think where I'd be. 

Hey SeaJay, I’m glad you’re still with us.  Hang in there, buddy...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been going through the audio book, "Synchronicity." It's based on trying to reason through these experiences with a logical approach. Dr. Surprise says early on that Carl Jung thought such and such, and Carl Jung was mistaken. I haven't made it all the way through yet. But I see the direction he's taking about testing this out and consciously setting up situations for these natural feed back loops to place you into anomalistic type experiences. But I don't find them scary or off putting. It's more the case of consciously experimenting with something. And I can see that I'll have to take in the whole thing before I can fully experiment with it in the way that he's suggesting the reader to do. But I look forward to following it all the way through.