Goodbye Jesus

Philosophy can't convince

Wertbag

While philosophy brings up interesting questions and dilemmas, when it comes to the questions of religion I can't imagine the arguments ever being able to convince anyone of either viewpoint. Famously you have the Kalam argument which states "I imagine god, therefore god exists" and the ontological argument which says "we don't know how the universe started, therefore god did it". 

If you are already convinced then you may hold up such ideas as reasons, but they will not be the cause of your belief. 

There are big debates and many books written on free will, and yet whether the answer is none, some or all, it doesn't change anything and hence it is hard for the lay-person to care about. Same with morals, the question of whether they are objective or subjective doesn't change how we operate in the real world. We have laws and society has set standards to adhere to with punishment clearly outlined for breaching those. 

There is value in the debates around human rights and how those laws will be written and enacted, but those same real world effects aren't seen from religious philosophy. 

I see religious philosophy as a puzzle game to play but for which the outcome doesn't matter. Atheists generally want some convincing real world evidence and philosophy can never provide that. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered; religion is answers that may never be questioned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Most people convert because a friend or someone convinced them that "God loves you!!!!"  I saw people come in from several 12-step programs that are dependent on a higher-power belief. A few come to a church play and get sniffly over Jesus being crucified, and fall for the bait about it being "all for you".

Back in the day, hell and damnation were threats that seemed to work on some people, but usually in cultures that were already steeped in Christianity. 

All that to say that people don't convert because of philosophy or facts, but emotional manipulation and a feeling of belonging. The gospel is set up to create a sort of Stockholm Syndrome where the abusive god of the Bible becomes seen by his victims as the ultimate source of love and good, and they won't hear anything to the contrary (Don't piss Him off, he'll hurt us!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When people will not accept, or even consider,  verifiable evidence and facts that challenge their “beliefs” it becomes pointless to engage them.

• Like 1