Sign in to follow this  
Wertbag

Silly things that annoy

Random thought, what pet peeves do you have? A few that have come to my mind recently:  people calling polygraph machines "lie detectors", theres a good reason they aren't allowed as evidence in court.

Lens flare in video games and movies. You should never see lens flare in a first person shooter, its created by light hitting the lens of the camera, so unless you are playing as a cameraman that effect should not occur. 

People who get on buses, trains or elevators without waiting for those getting off to clear the way. 

Street preachers screaming fire and brimstone at people minding their own business. Who do they think will ever be convinced by ranting? 

Exploding cars in movies. With thousands of car crashes a year guess how many explosions there are. 

Martial arts movies where a spinning head kick that lands flush does little more than make the guy take a backwards step. 

Dog owners who have no control. Dragged down the road by a pulled leash, doesn't come when called, barking non-stop (for which yelling at them achieves nothing), just obvious who is in charge. Then the dog attacks someone and the owner says "he was always so good before, he never hurt anyone". 

Parents dropping kids at toy sections of shops to play while they go shopping. 

Carob, designed by the devil to ruin chocolates good name. 

Game of thrones book 6, now been waiting 7 years. Theres slow writing, then theres just taking the piss. 

• Like 3

Anything called a "super" food. 

Any shop selling drinks in sizes Medium, Large and X-large. 

Food labelling as a whole. "look our product has no artificial colour, no added sugar and no msg! Nope, its just pure lard!" 

• Like 1

Reports in the media on disasters of whatever kind where they almost all report like "...konnten lebend geborgen werden" (could be recovered alive) or where the stretchers to transport the patients are called "Bahre" in German. "bergen" in German refers to the recovery of corpses. Everyone still alive is getting rescued ("retten"), and the stretcher for transporting corpses is a "Bahre", for the living it's called "Trage". Leftover from my time in the German St. John's ambulance.

Also, nonsensical figures of speech that are not explainable in any way other than someone having taught them as somehow cool. Like, a user calls me at work and starts every sentence with "Genau" ("right"), no matter whether they're actually agreeing with what I just said or not. Or people starting their call with "Ich rufe an, ich möchte..." ("I'm calling, I want to..."). Yeah right I hear that you're calling you dimwit. If at least they said "Ich rufe an weil ich..." (I'm calling because I...)... :vent:

• Like 1

Cell phone videos taken in portrait format (vertical). (I was a professional cinematographer, so I do know what I'm talking about.)

"Your call is important to us so please stay on the line...." FUCK YOU. If my call was really important you'd have enough people there to answer the fucking phone!

"This call may be monitored for training or quality control." Bull shit. You're recording it so if I sue you you'll have evidence.

Parking lots with lanes that are too narrow.

Idiots who don't know how to use the acceleration lane of the freeway onramp.

"Easy  open" packages that are anything but.

Programmers who don't set up databases for those of us who use our middle names!

Unreachable toilet paper dispensers.

"Help" phone lines with recordings that merely repeat what's in the manual. Listen, you assholes, if I could find it in the manual I wouldn't be calling you! 

• Like 3

One more: milk jugs that dribble. If we can send a man to the moon how come we can't make milk jugs that don't dribble?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, older said:

One more: milk jugs that dribble. If we can send a man to the moon how come we can't make milk jugs that don't dribble?

They're supposed to dribble so the babies can drink. 😂

mwc

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Wertbag said:

Carob, designed by the devil to ruin chocolates good name.

I remember my first experience with it after being told "It's better than chocolate" 🤮

My annoyance is the narrow streets in Portland that were designed for horses, not to have cars parked on both sides leaving barely enough room to squeeze another down the middle, but not two going in opposite directions. There are still horse rings embedded in the curbs. I'd rather they cut back on some sidewalk and parking strip to give us more room, or make parking on one side only. "But it's a HISTORICAL DISTRICT..." That modern humans have to navigate.

• Like 2

The message here, Fuego, is that you need to get a  horse.  🏇

• Haha 2

And people who use "you" as a plural: "Are all of yous going to the shops?" 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Even worse than "yous" is "I's" (instead of "my"). For example, "Frank and I's thoughts on that...." I've even seen it typed out that way, which bugs me even more than saying it.

• Like 2

"I could care less."  Uh, no; you mean that you couldn't care less.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Restaurant servers and other such people who, when thanked for bringing something, say, "No problem." It had better not be a problem. What's wrong with, "Your'e welcome" ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wertbag said:

"Are all of yous going to the shops?"

A clear sign of a mafia gangster is the use of "youse guys" 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 9:24 PM, older said:

The message here, Fuego, is that you need to get a  horse.  🏇

The wife would love to have a horse. Me...

0.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Fuego said:

The wife would love to have a horse. Me...

0.gif

Hey, I wouldn't even get that close. I do not get on anything that does not have a steering wheel and a brake pedal.

• Haha 1

Another whole category of annoyance; anyone who is a snob on any subject. These are the kinds of people who have some knowledge on a subject and due to that gain a superiority complex. 

I bought a second hand car, a subaru hatch, my mate who is a car snob went off on a rant "what a mistake. You'll regret that choice. You should have asked me and I would have put you right". Now 6 years later the car is still great, nothing flash just a good family car. 

I've seen cheese snobs "oh my god, you can't get supermarket cheese, it tastes like plaster", water snobs "yes, I can really taste the fluride, thats why I stick to $10 bottles of filtered water", movie snobs "movie X was the worst movie ever, you have no taste if you liked anything about it" and the classic wine snobs "I find the 2016 wines have a much fruitier bouquet and a hint of elderberries". 

• Like 1

I have to rant a little on my post above about those who say, "No problem." I just had a 45 minute chat with an ATT person about my defective DSL service. She must have said, "No problem" at least three dozen times during the call in response to things I said. Well damn it, it IS a problem. My damn DSL service is not working right! Now my screen name tells you something, and I AM a grumpy old man, and this kid is of a different generation. But damn it, knock it off. "OK" is a perfectly good response for most of what I said.

• Like 1

Customer service. 'nuff said.

Had to report a software problem at work recently. Got called back by local IT support.

At least 10 times during that conversation:
"...that kind of performance problem..."

"It's not a performance problem. System isn't just working slow, it sometimes doesn't upload the data I send to it, though I never get an error message."

As I work in a service desk too (just a different one) I could check the ticket status. Guess what I found after conclusion of that call?

"User reports performance problems and error messages."

Urge to strangle that person... rising...

• Like 1

Thurisaz:

Try the ATT DSL service line. Look, the people who finally answer the phone are nice. After all, they are just doing their job. But the system SUCKS! There is no way I've found to get past the telephone tree to an agent without going through a bunch of crap. And then the agent, who is just a poor slob who has to follow the script, has to take me through all sorts of basic diagnostics which I've already run before I called. Look, I'm not an expert, but I supervised the installation of two computer labs at the university where I worked, so I think I know a little more than the average dweeb. And I am willing to bet $500 that my current problem is NOT at my end. But the agent still has to run the script. A couple of years ago, it took 12 technicians three months to straighten out my service. I have four pages of notes about what they had to do, including calling in an outside expert. Everything between my router and the terminal box two miles away has been worked on as well as some stuff in the c.o. When I get zero on one speed test and then 2.47 on another, that tells me that the problem is in their c.o., not here. But they insist on sending someone out anyway. They were supposed to show up yesterday, and I waited all afternoon and no one showed. What a thrill.

Grumble, grumble.

Hollywood movies that are so ridiculous that the audience groans in unison. 

I just went to fast n Furious (I won tickets, wouldn't have bothered otherwise), and every single scene was so stupid; need to find a scientist in hiding? Don't worry we photographed him buying a newspaper in broad daylight on main street. The bad guys have guns with a user ID chip so people can't use their guns, except the activation chip is in the gloves so anyone can steal them, then it turns out the guns are on wifi so a girl on a laptop can switch off all weapons at will. 

A girl has a super virus in her, if time runs out she will die and infect the whole planet. How? Err, well its airborne so it will travel. So containment of the supervirus could be achieved by closing the window. 

We need to extract the virus from her within 24hrs, okay let's fly Moscow to Samoa which should take 19hrs of flying let alone the time to get a plane ready. Why Samoa? Well the Rock's brother, who he hasn't seen in 25 years is a motor mechanic, so obviously the perfect person to fix the advanced nano-tech sci-fi extraction unit. 

Well at least she can hide away while the extraction unit works? Nope, she will wear it like a backpack and be kept at the front lines because we need the bad guys to kidnap her again. 

The movie had some laughs and some big explosion, but I regret seeing it, even for free. 

On 8/4/2019 at 4:22 AM, older said:

Thurisaz:

Try the ATT DSL service line. Look, the people who finally answer the phone are nice. After all, they are just doing their job. But the system SUCKS! There is no way I've found to get past the telephone tree to an agent without going through a bunch of crap. And then the agent, who is just a poor slob who has to follow the script, has to take me through all sorts of basic diagnostics which I've already run before I called. Look, I'm not an expert, but I supervised the installation of two computer labs at the university where I worked, so I think I know a little more than the average dweeb. And I am willing to bet $500 that my current problem is NOT at my end. But the agent still has to run the script. A couple of years ago, it took 12 technicians three months to straighten out my service. I have four pages of notes about what they had to do, including calling in an outside expert. Everything between my router and the terminal box two miles away has been worked on as well as some stuff in the c.o. When I get zero on one speed test and then 2.47 on another, that tells me that the problem is in their c.o., not here. But they insist on sending someone out anyway. They were supposed to show up yesterday, and I waited all afternoon and no one showed. What a thrill.

Grumble, grumble.

I know damn well what you mean. Not surprising of course... as we say over here, "you pay in bananas, you can only hire apes". Contemporary capitalist ideology runs everything on "gotta be cheapest and, huh, what does 'quality' mean?", so the cheapest way to run any 1st level support is staff it with untrained morons (who aren't even supposed to ever learn anything) and have them mindlessly work through scripts. I bet the fucking managers running that shit only see the wages as a cost factor - the untold man-hours of productivity lost due to shitty service cannot be calculated easily so they don't appear in their excel wallpapers.

I'm working in a 1st level phone support and I fucking swear, we must be the only ones in the entire VW Group who usually know what we're talking about. Every other fucking helpdesk and such is a zombie infestation (desperately in need of braaaaaaaaaaaaains). :banghead:

Our company runs a helpdesk for a large corporate client. Our helpdesk has dropped every SLA, terrible customer reviews and stats that are a disaster. Our client went to market to consider dropping us, found it would cost tens of thousands with no guarantees that it would be better, so we got the contract extended. Money over quality for the win.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Wertbag said:

This pisses me off no end. My friend says it all the time. No I say, it's are you all going to the shops? "you all" indicates a group, "yous" it not a word. It's Fringlish.

People who swear so much that its just a habit that shows their terrible lack of social ability. 

I was on the bus and listening to these two drop kick teenagers: "Did you go to Fkn Sam's party?" 

"Fk it was sweet, went Fkn hard all Fkn night and FKn caught up with that guy, whats his Fkn name?" 

"You mean that Fk Dave? Fkn bald Fk with the Fkn hot girlfriend?" 

"He kicked that fkn chick to the curb, she was fkn some other dumb fk" 

It was tragic to listen to, kind of like swearing instead of pausing for a breath. I can imagine they would be the same to their parents and openly said they abused their teachers cos "there's nothing they can fkn do" 

On 7/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, Wertbag said:

The fact that english doesn’t have a “real” second person plural is annoying.  It’s “yous” in the east, “y’all” in the south, sometimes even “y’uns” (you ones). It used to be “ye,” and supposedly still is in some places.  Why don’t y’all decide on one . . . .

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.