Sign in to follow this  
DannyE

Discussion: The Delusion of American Religion

The Delusion of American Religion.

This link talks about religion but it's more a debate concerning the correctness of religious social ideas, which is more political rather than science. Not at all sure how politics  might fit into this forum or where different ideas of it should fit or be allowed. But I'll take a short stab at it anyway in this science vs. religion forum.

Unfortunately the U.S. does not have a clear separation of church and state in its constitution, even though many believe it does. Neither do many other big counties. For this reason religious zealots get involved in governments around the world and often screw things up that IMO would most often be much better off without them. In the U.S. I disagree with right wing governmental religious ideas, and left wing spending ideas. I would like to see less military spending and more NASA spending. I look at religion as a minus and science as a plus, although I think both have goods and bads within them

Religious thinking is often more than a hundred years in the past, and science thinking looks forward to a better future and understanding for humanity -- far better IMO.

• Thanks 1

On a positive note, religion in American is slowly becoming less popular as evidenced by declining Church membership across all denominational lines. 

• Like 1

And sadly the True Believers™ that remain are more entrenched than ever. I tried engaging one on why her god hadn't responded to some recent tragedies. Kablooie, Blocked.

Happily, the same attitude is valuable in showing non-believers the cult nature of the church. 

13 hours ago, Geezer said:

On a positive note, religion in American is slowly becoming less popular as evidenced by declining Church membership across all denominational lines.

I sure wish that was true in my town. This is megachurch central. There is one street in a somewhat new area that should have been named "Church Street." There are seven of them in a 2-mile stretch, with two more on nearby streets. The churches are all of the multi-purpose building type wherein the sanctuary carpet has basketball court lines on it. The biggest church of all is on a lot that is somewhere in the 30 to 40 acre range. There are at least six buildings, one of which is a restaurant, plus a K-12 school on the property, and they are planning a 45,000 square foot, $20 million building to be used as a children's area and lobby. This church alone draws 4,000 people each Sunday. This town has a staggering 40 percent poverty rate for kids in grades 1–4. How many of them could be fed with that $20 million?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, older said:

I sure wish that was true in my town. This is megachurch central. There is one street in a somewhat new area that should have been named "Church Street." There are seven of them in a 2-mile stretch, with two more on nearby streets. The churches are all of the multi-purpose building type wherein the sanctuary carpet has basketball court lines on it. The biggest church of all is on a lot that is somewhere in the 30 to 40 acre range. There are at least six buildings, one of which is a restaurant, plus a K-12 school on the property, and they are planning a 45,000 square foot, $20 million building to be used as a children's area and lobby. This church alone draws 4,000 people each Sunday. This town has a staggering 40 percent poverty rate for kids in grades 1–4. How many of them could be fed with that $20 million?

Everything has to evolve and change in order to survive. Christianity has survived because it has evolved with the times and culture. Mega Churches are part of the current evolution. Services are more like a Christian rock concert than a traditional service. Preaching on sin is out, it’s all about love, grace, & community now and it seems to be working. 

Jesus, of course, is still the focus but he’s been updated and repackaged. Even so, Christianity is still showing declining numbers. I think the internet has proven to be religions biggest challenge. Their secrets are no longer secret. Their traditions and dogma is now being effectively challenged with facts and evidence. 

Christianity will be with us for a very long time into the future but it’s numbers and power will steadily decline.

Good article, but we ask that all political discussion be done in the "Clubs" section, under "Totally Off Topic." I've moved it there and a link appears in science and religion directing people to the thread. 

On 5/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, Geezer said:

I expect this to continue. As knowledge and information increase these bronze age myths will likely keep dying off generation by generation.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.