Goodbye Jesus

Missing some folks

Geezer

• Super Moderator
7 hours ago, mwc said:

People apparently like things, the mindset and tone, to be rather, um, homogeneous and kind of celebrate that fact.

So start some shit! You can be the new BO!!!!!

• Haha 4

On 6/18/2019 at 7:48 AM, webmdave said:

Also, bullying the newly de-converting for holding to deism or some sort of non-Christian spirituality is just plain mean and obnoxious. Ex-Christian is not synonymous with hardcore atheist. There is no requirement for ex-Christians to walk lock-step once leaving Christianity. To experience real mental freedom is part of the fun of escaping the death cult of Christianity. . 

Are you saying I don't have to be (completely) rational ... and that's ok? (lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, florduh said:

So start some shit! You can be the new BO!!!!!

Funny.  But I'm not sure why you all keep fixating on this one guy.

mwc

• Super Moderator
23 minutes ago, mwc said:

Funny.  But I'm not sure why you all keep fixating on this one guy.

BO? Perennial troll finally gone for good cause? 

Some apparently think there was some kind of "purge" and censorship is at work. BO is the only troll who got banned  Only one. Only one. ONE GUY. One, and only after years of his abuse and the complaints and exits he engendered.

Perhaps with their mad king gone his followers weren't up to hanging in there, idk. There is no conspiracy. Sorry to disappoint.

2 minutes ago, florduh said:

BO? Perennial troll finally gone for good cause? 

Some apparently think there was some kind of "purge" and censorship is at work. BO is the only troll who got banned  Only one. Only one. ONE GUY. One, and only after years of his abuse and the complaints and exits he engendered.

Perhaps with their mad king gone his followers weren't up to hanging in there, idk. There is no conspiracy. Sorry to disappoint.

You're heading down the wrong path with conspiracy theories.  I know it's a common go to but it's incorrect.  The fact that you have to quote "purge" (since I did just that indicating there was no actual purge or any such thing...I really couldn't find a better way to phrase things at the time and I guess I'm still failing since that's apparently what is being focused on) should be enough to set you right.

I never brought up BO.  He wasn't on my mind.  Others brought him up.  So talk about him to those folks.  All this stuff happened while I was on vacation and wasn't checking-in.  I left and returned to all these changes.  One day these folks are here and the when I returned they were not.  I see this post asking about missing folks in general and instead of any answers I see people talking about how the center thinking folks are getting along so much better so who cares?  To me this is what assholes do.  They attack those who aren't around to defend themselves.  They gloat about their superiority.  This is what set me off.  If that's what the "center" does then fuck the center.  That's not so cool.  It's as shitty as the rest once it gets what it wants.

mwc

• Super Moderator
5 hours ago, mwc said:

You're heading down the wrong path with conspiracy theories.  I know it's a common go to but it's incorrect.  The fact that you have to quote "purge" (since I did just that indicating there was no actual purge or any such thing...I really couldn't find a better way to phrase things at the time and I guess I'm still failing since that's apparently what is being focused on) should be enough to set you right.

I never brought up BO.  He wasn't on my mind.  Others brought him up.  So talk about him to those folks.  All this stuff happened while I was on vacation and wasn't checking-in.  I left and returned to all these changes.  One day these folks are here and the when I returned they were not.  I see this post asking about missing folks in general and instead of any answers I see people talking about how the center thinking folks are getting along so much better so who cares?  To me this is what assholes do.  They attack those who aren't around to defend themselves.  They gloat about their superiority.  This is what set me off.  If that's what the "center" does then fuck the center.  That's not so cool.  It's as shitty as the rest once it gets what it wants.

mwc

The point is that only one relentless troll was banned. The fact that others are also not around seems to lead some to a wrong conclusion. If you can just wait I'm sure there will be some new members you might like better than the current ones. The missing ones might even come back, who knows. Sorry if there's not enough drama at the moment. Dave has explained everything so take it or leave it. As far as superiority, those who aren't trolls stirring the shit pot are actually superior to those who do. Remember the mission of the site; it's not mud wrestling for entertainment.

• Like 1

Aside from all of this purported drama, people do tend to come and go from time to time. Just the nature of the interwebs. Yes,  some long-timers have been quiet of late. Maybe they'll come back,  maybe they won't. In either case,  it isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened,  and it won't be the last.

I have enjoyed the recent increase in civility, for what it's worth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, florduh said:

The point is that only one relentless troll was banned. The fact that others are also not around seems to lead some to a wrong conclusion. If you can just wait I'm sure there will be some new members you might like better than the current ones. The missing ones might even come back, who knows. Sorry if there's not enough drama at the moment. Dave has explained everything so take it or leave it. As far as superiority, those who aren't trolls stirring the shit pot are actually superior to those who do. Remember the mission of the site; it's not mud wrestling for entertainment.

That's your point.  I get it.

I guess I haven't been around here long enough to understand things yet.

mwc

8 hours ago, mwc said:

To me this is what assholes do.  They attack those who aren't around to defend themselves.  They gloat about their superiority.  This is what set me off.  If that's what the "center" does then fuck the center.  That's not so cool.  It's as shitty as the rest once it gets what it wants.

So now you're calling LF and myself assholes who attack those who are not able to defend themselves? 

The take away only gets more bizarre as you continue mwc.....

The fact is that things have calmed way down around here. When LF mentioned that some of the more radical minded members haven't been active I noted that he makes a good point. 1) that things have calmed down and 2) this has happened while the more moderate minded members have been 'left behind' or whatever. Whatever it is it's coincidence. We just happened to see ToT calm down and we just happened to get back on track with the point and purpose of these forums following a lot of people who like to stir the pot, ceasing to do it. 

I don't care what you think. I like the fact that things have calmed down and that we are back on track with the purpose of discussing religion which is what we are supposed to be doing anyways - per the reason Dave started this website. You can hate on it if you like. 

What it sounds like to me is that you have this preconceived idea which you then aimed at LF and myself completely unwarranted. Which is why it was so bizarre and sounded like an odd take away. There was something underneath it all. Which you've now exposed and brought forward. And you basically projected this preconceived idea at us without looking closer or so much as thinking it through, it would appear.......

1 hour ago, Joshpantera said:

So now you're calling LF and myself assholes who attack those who are not able to defend themselves? 

Yep.  It looks that way.

The take away only gets more bizarre as you continue mwc.....

The fact is that things have calmed way down around here. When LF mentioned that some of the more radical minded members haven't been active I noted that he makes a good point. 1) that things have calmed down and 2) this has happened while the more moderate minded members have been 'left behind' or whatever. Whatever it is it's coincidence. We just happened to see ToT calm down and we just happened to get back on track with the point and purpose of these forums following a lot of people who like to stir the pot, ceasing to do it. 

I don't care what you think. I like the fact that things have calmed down and that we are back on track with the purpose of discussing religion which is what we are supposed to be doing anyways - per the reason Dave started this website. You can hate on it if you like. 

It's nice you don't care.  You have an odd way of showing it.

If you think that I should also join the chorus so that I'm not a hater then you're not going to be happy with me.

What it sounds like to me is that you have this preconceived idea which you then aimed at LF and myself completely unwarranted. Which is why it was so bizarre and sounded like an odd take away. There was something underneath it all. Which you've now exposed and brought forward. And you basically projected this preconceived idea at us without looking closer or so much as thinking it through, it would appear.......

I've explained myself.  You guys were clearly engaging in this behavior.  I just didn't call you on it directly.  Maybe I should have?  It's all in the open now anyhow since you came to me.

mwc

12 hours ago, mwc said:

Yep.  It looks that way.

To a guy who's apparently got his wires crossed. And has a chip on his shoulder about something or another and wants to project it on to others completely unwarranted. First of all, BO befriended my privately years ago. We spoke seriously about various things here and there over the years privately. I'm NOT attacking him. LF and BO had a different relationship. I get that too. My agreement with the staff and / or LF for doing what they had to do is not me attacking BO who can't defend himself. He chose to push the limits with the warnings that were given. Whatever happened is on him. 

Now as to LF's list of several of his FRIENDS that he named, neither he nor I are attacking them either. Especially not with an inability for those mentioned to defend themselves. LF told you that his intention was not gloating, and my intention was not gloating to agree with his simple observation that things have calmed down, and, apparently, they've calmed down while some people have backed off from stirring the pot. There's no defenseless victims in this equation. 

12 hours ago, mwc said:

It's nice you don't care.  You have an odd way of showing it.

If you think that I should also join the chorus so that I'm not a hater then you're not going to be happy with me.

This chorus you're speaking of, do you mean the chorus of acting civil and not pushing the limits of the board rules and regulations? Am I not going to be happy because you intend to try and derail threads? Post political nonsense outside of ToT? Harass newbies? Or any number of the things which have calmed down recently that I am happy about? 

• Thanks 1

@LogicalFallacy and @Joshpantera,

If you guys say you weren't gloating, etc., then I'm willing to accept that.  You should know your know your intent.

mwc

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mwc said:

@LogicalFallacy and @Joshpantera,

If you guys say you weren't gloating, etc., then I'm willing to accept that.  You should know your know your intent.

mwc

Thank you. And I don't really want to have some ongoing tension with you over it either.  Sorry if I was too abrupt in response. I just wanted to clear the air. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of those who have been absent for long periods of time recently.  Life just seems to demand different priorities from time to time.   And although this is a valuable forum, and I hope it keeps going, it seems most forums over time get to be the same stuff over and over, and I get bored with that, as others probably do.  And I don't miss some of the self absorbed, ridiculous bickering and disrespect that gets started from time to time, that I believe can drive people away that need what is offered here.

I haven't counted it up, but it does seem new members are down.  Is that the case? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

Some comments have been deleted.  Please remember the rule that all "polticial" comments must be confined to Totally Off Topic.    --Thanks

Ah BO - I remember so well. The one with the Mussolini avatar, right? I think I had him blocked. Not that this matters any more.

According to my profile, it looks like I actually managed to go NINE YEARS without posting here!!!!! That's ridiculous. But people like BO and the atmosphere people like that create was probably a part of my decision. The other was just not needing a sounding board for my deconversion any more. 

Any way, hopefully I can at least manage to check in now and then. 

Hi all, hope I'm not late to the thread. I don't know if I was presumed to be among the ranks of 'the forgotten.' I realize I haven't posted here in a few months. It was not a conscious choice. Honestly, it was simply that my wife and I have gotten a fair bit more social of late and spend most of our weekends out with mutual friends. That's of course a good thing, but it resulted in my inadvertently neglecting this community. My apologies.

I'm sorry to hear BO is gone. He was a rather course individual, but I appreciated that like myself, he rejected all forms of orthodoxy. By that I failly specifically mean that we both support Donald Trump and reject any suggestion that ex-Christians must be politically and socially liberal or support any specific doctrine by virtue of our rejection of Jesus.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to re-engaging with all of you and catching up on your respective non-faith journeys.

• Like 1