Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Trump calls off air strike against Iran

I saw an investigative journalist article today that indicates Trump called off the air strike against Iran because his military advisors admitted the drone was in Iranian air space when it was shot down. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, Geezer said:

I saw an investigative journalist article today that indicates Trump called off the air strike against Iran because his military advisors admitted the drone was in Iranian air space when it was shot down. 

In which case what is the fuss about? Why even impose sanctions in response to them shooting it down? If it's in their air space its fair game. The US would not tolerate drones from an enemy in their airspace.

8 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

In which case what is the fuss about? Why even impose sanctions in response to them shooting it down? If it's in their air space its fair game. The US would not tolerate drones from an enemy in their airspace.

I think the sanctions are about their nuclear program & their attack on the tankers. 

Aw come on who are we kidding here...

spacer.png

• Haha 2

I have no idea how much oil Iraq had, or has, but if the war we waged was to get at it then the price of that oil has to be outrageously overpriced at this point.  I can't imagine paying a similar price in some feeble attempt to get at Iran's oil.

Bad politics and ego seem like equally likely motivations for this administration not that they're any better reasons. 

mwc

So what do you think would be the outcome if war was declared?  Military wise the US will stomp them no trouble, until it comes to putting troops on the ground, then you run into a guerrilla style war that could drag on.  The biggest worry would be Iran saying "we can't win but we can take you with us" and targeting their own oil production plus any oil fields of Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi that are within reach.  The hit to the global economy could be massive.  It wouldn't help Iran, more of a mutually assured destruction kind of thing.  Seems like a lose/lose situation no matter how it played out.

You have to remember Russia and China. They may not be happy with more US involvement in the ME so will actively seek to undermine the US. Possibly they will look at weakening the US without taking any overt measures. A war with Iran will drain resources and public moral which is helpful to the other big states.

We have two examples of what would happen if a war were to happen.  Nothing but wastes of lives and money.  Shit, it would be one thing if either place was one step closer to "freedom," the bullshit we promised, but they're not.  They're just as entrenched in the "old ways," which are ironically probably newer than I am old, than before this shit all happened.

mwc

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.