Goodbye Jesus

Holy Ghost

Ronasanchez

Anyone here an ex Christian who has “received the Holy Ghost” or “spoken in tongues”? I know it’s kind of a weird question considering it goes against the beliefs of being an ex Christian. However, I have heard a few people say that they at one point thought they received the Holy Ghost or spoke in tongues but they believe it to be just babbling now. 

It has never happened to me, but I've seen it happen to other people. I think that they reach such a state of euphoria that they give up control and start spewing jibberish. Credit, of course, always goes to the holy spirit..because science and logic have no place in the church... 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Super Moderator

I was also spirit-filled and had the gifts of both tongues and interpretation.  It was handy; because if I didn't know how to pray about something, I would just pray in tongues.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Ronasanchez said:

Anyone here an ex Christian who has “received the Holy Ghost” or “spoken in tongues”? I know it’s kind of a weird question considering it goes against the beliefs of being an ex Christian. However, I have heard a few people say that they at one point thought they received the Holy Ghost or spoke in tongues but they believe it to be just babbling now. 

"Feeling the Holy Spirit" was common for me in church, though now I just consider it was euphoric brain chemicals. There are other ways to accomplish that feeling without Jesus so I dont really think it was the Holy Spirit 'moving' , anymore. 

The church weirdos tried to get me to speak in tongues but I was too shy. My non-Christian foundation prevented me from allowing myself to talk stupid like the weirdos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still do speak in tongues, especially when lifting heavy things, to the amusement of my coworkers. Other times I find it popping out when I remember something embarrassing, I guess as an emotional defensive measure. It is gibberish. Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over, or follow a pattern. It's easy once you get started doing it.

The first time a lady pentecostal preacher cornered me to force it out of me, I spoke a phrase in Aztec (Nahuatl) and she was satisfied. I smirked as I turned and left. So much for discernment. 

Now the other parts about feeling power, heat, and such I also felt and have no explanation yet for them. It does fit in seamlessly with the other woo my wife follows. She thinks it has something to do with other people being in a similar mindset in one space. When I felt it, it was the exact caricature of the Shaker/Quaker namesake behavior. I felt a buzzing in my center of gravity just below the navel, and it began zipping up and down through my body and my hands began trembling and shaking. I liken it to a stretched-out Slinky toy being twanged on one end, and you can watch the kinetic energy travel down the metal and back. It remained focused in that one spot below my navel. I didn't tell my wife initially, but she described the same sensation at that meeting, so that was very interesting. She's felt something similar at secular gatherings like UFO conferences, so thinks it is something to do with people sharing some kind of energy. I honestly don't know what it is, but have felt it more than once. 

Another time, I was with a small bible group and felt heat pouring down like I was under a heating vent. Another lady there was fanning herself madly, but there was no vent. No idea why this sort of thing happens. I've heard about group hypnosis, but am not sure that is an adequate explanation. So far, I don't have an answer that satisfies me, so I say I don't know. 

17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I was also spirit-filled and had the gifts of both tongues and interpretation.  It was handy; because if I didn't know how to pray about something, I would just pray in tongues.  

So then how did your current beliefs that the religion is false come to be? Was it hard dealing with the fact that you thought Christianity to be false and that you also felt you received the Holy Ghost?

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, Ronasanchez said:

So then how did your current beliefs that the religion is false come to be? Was it hard dealing with the fact that you thought Christianity to be false and that you also felt you received the Holy Ghost?

To answer the first question: for me, the big hang-up was the idea that god had a plan for my life.  I had put my entire life in god's hands, trusting in his divine destiny.  I never prepared for the future, planned a career, or even drew up a budget; because god was going to sort all that out according to his plan.  The problem was that god's plan never actually happened, no matter how patient or faithful I was.  Eventually, life sucked enough for me to decide that either god's plan wasn't all that great, or that god just didn't have a plan to begin with.  So, I decided to launch a solo project.  My plan isn't always that great either; but it sure beats god's. 

To answer the second question: for me it is simple psychology.  Social acceptance is a need that is instinctual (and strong) in humans.  This needs creates a variety of coping mechanisms during childhood that often follow us into adulthood.  The unnatural can become natural given the right environment and social pressures.  This is what allows otherwise intelligent, reasonable, and rational people to become Nazis or slave traders.  It is also what drives people to believe that the gibberish pouring out of their subconscious minds in an effort to gain the approval of their peers is actually the indwelling of the holy spirit. 

15 hours ago, Fuego said:

I still do speak in tongues, especially when lifting heavy things, to the amusement of my coworkers. Other times I find it popping out when I remember something embarrassing, I guess as an emotional defensive measure. It is gibberish. Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over, or follow a pattern. It's easy once you get started doing it.

The first time a lady pentecostal preacher cornered me to force it out of me, I spoke a phrase in Aztec (Nahuatl) and she was satisfied. I smirked as I turned and left. So much for discernment. 

Now the other parts about feeling power, heat, and such I also felt and have no explanation yet for them. It does fit in seamlessly with the other woo my wife follows. She thinks it has something to do with other people being in a similar mindset in one space. When I felt it, it was the exact caricature of the Shaker/Quaker namesake behavior. I felt a buzzing in my center of gravity just below the navel, and it began zipping up and down through my body and my hands began trembling and shaking. I liken it to a stretched-out Slinky toy being twanged on one end, and you can watch the kinetic energy travel down the metal and back. It remained focused in that one spot below my navel. I didn't tell my wife initially, but she described the same sensation at that meeting, so that was very interesting. She's felt something similar at secular gatherings like UFO conferences, so thinks it is something to do with people sharing some kind of energy. I honestly don't know what it is, but have felt it more than once. 

Another time, I was with a small bible group and felt heat pouring down like I was under a heating vent. Another lady there was fanning herself madly, but there was no vent. No idea why this sort of thing happens. I've heard about group hypnosis, but am not sure that is an adequate explanation. So far, I don't have an answer that satisfies me, so I say I don't know. 

I wonder if any of that heat or energy is measurable by instrumentation? Since it also is occurring at secular gatherings it seems the common denominator would be people. During one of these gatherings, I wonder if people generate their own (additional) energy or heat that only affects their own individual body or is it a co-mingling of everyone's 'energy' in the room? That's really interesting, Fuego.

I remember being in a fairly smaller room (smaller than the large santuary) in church. It was the youth group room. There were a lot of teenagers in there all worshiping Jesus. I dont recall if it was extra warm there, though if it was, that could be because there were lots of warm bodies in a small room. I did feel what we all described as the 'spirit' quite pronounced though. I wouldn't say it was the Holy Spirit but I might say that people in a group seem to be able to generate a euphoric experience, somehow. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
20 hours ago, Fuego said:

Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over

Cee-oh Cee-ay Cee-oh-ell-ay, Lord, quinch our thirst!

(Actual phrase commonly used by a guy who drove a delivery truck for a certain beverage company) 

• Super Moderator

According to the 16 fundamental truths of the ASSemblies of god,  the "initial physical evidence" of the indwelling of the holy spirit is speaking in tongues.  Unfortunately, this stance is not biblical.  The bible lists physical evidence of the indwelling of the holy spirit as "gifts of the spirit" (wisdom, fortitude, piety, etc.) and "fruits of the spirit" (you,  patience, faithfulness, etc.).  The bible never mentions tongues as being a requirement for baptism in, or indwelling of, the holy spirit. 

Moreover, there are two Greek words translated as "tongues" in the bible: glossolalia (refering to any vical utterance or articulation) and dialektos (referring to actual languages or dialects).  The word used in Acts 2 was dialektos, which means that when the apostles received the holy spirit on the day of pentecost, they were miraculously enabled to speak in other languages (Swahili, Serbian, Cantonese, etc.).  Thus the gibberish common in pentecostal churches is also not in keeping with the scripture. 

In short, the modern practice of speaking in tongues cannot be the work of the same holy spirit who inspired the written word of god, as it is contrary to said text.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I spoke in tongues as a Christian, and I can still do it if I want to. I rarely do, but yesterday I did (I have a choice, it is not outside my control) which made me wonder whether other ex Christians have the same experience. I think that now, my speaking in tongues is more limited than before. It is as though it has got stuck in a rut and I repeat the same sorts of phrases, and when I was a believer there was more variety, but that was a long time ago now so it is hard to say. It's an interesting phenomenon and i was wondering what other people think? 

• Like 1

Very interesting concept.  I have had 2 happenings in my life, but not speaking in tongues.   One was in a church setting, another was a regular social setting.  But looking back on it, I think it was a simple anxiety attack.   Once in the 1950s I was visiting a girlfriend's church when the holy spirit "grabbed" several people in a family and threw them on the floor.  They were rolling around and moaning, groaning and yelling.  I later learned there was incest going on in the family.  But to the people there, it was the work of the holy ghost. 

On 7/8/2019 at 6:02 PM, Ronasanchez said:

I thought the holy spirit was presently living in me when I believed in Jesus, but it was as elusive as a ghost could be. No matter what conditions I set in favour of my belief, that type of ghost had a agenda of it's own. In the end it was either that I surrender to that ghost, or reject it completely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is no speaking in tongues in the Orthodox life, but the purpose of mysticism is thought to be gathering the grace of the Holy Spirit. This manifests itself in faith, charity, lack of passions, wisdom, discernemnt, and sometimes but not always supernatural powers like invulnerability to the elements and/or healing. The first were the priority, and the last without the first was considered worrisome and possible a proof of demonic possesion. The pentecostal/modern speaking in tongues is thought by the Eastern Orthodox as a combination of self deception/psychological hysteria and/or demonic possesion. In general very heated acts are not really appreciated in the Orthodox tradition I was more acquainted with. It has more of a low key approach.

On side note, I just met some friends who just found out I took a step back from the Church. One was more receptive, the wandered off into sentimentalism - she is quite an emotional, traumatised soul who found at least temporarily some kind of solace in the church so my disbelief must have shaken her a bit. She was talking about being enlightened by the Holy spirit.To me, it seemed at the moment like an incoherent discourse, desperately trying to believe in the face of reality, like a child. Maybe I am wrong. I hope all ppl get more philosophically educated though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 1:33 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

According to the 16 fundamental truths of the ASSemblies of god,  the "initial physical evidence" of the indwelling of the holy spirit is speaking in tongues.  Unfortunately, this stance is not biblical.  The bible lists physical evidence of the indwelling of the holy spirit as "gifts of the spirit" (wisdom, fortitude, piety, etc.) and "fruits of the spirit" (you,  patience, faithfulness, etc.).  The bible never mentions tongues as being a requirement for baptism in, or indwelling of, the holy spirit. 

Moreover, there are two Greek words translated as "tongues" in the bible: glossolalia (refering to any vical utterance or articulation) and dialektos (referring to actual languages or dialects).  The word used in Acts 2 was dialektos, which means that when the apostles received the holy spirit on the day of pentecost, they were miraculously enabled to speak in other languages (Swahili, Serbian, Cantonese, etc.).  Thus the gibberish common in pentecostal churches is also not in keeping with the scripture. 

In short, the modern practice of speaking in tongues cannot be the work of the same holy spirit who inspired the written word of god, as it is contrary to said text.

Agreed....There are rules in the Bible also about there must be an interpreter if there are over a given amount of people speaking tongues otherwise it would be fake, or worse, dangerous. But then there are these problems...How the hell do you know what you are saying. Think about the worse curses you could be making without even knowing if you don't KNOW what is being said. Everyone assumes that it was good but how do you know!!!

Also there are approx. 41,000 different Christians denominations around the world all with differing views on the bible and it's interpretation and this has caused some massive divisions throughout the churches, even murders, executions etc in the past....Now there is only ONE, and I repeat there is only ONE Holy Spirit and this spirit CANNOT tell lies, so either there are nearly 41,000 different Holy Spirits out there all telling people different versions (master of confussion)...or there is only ONE Holy Spirit and YOU just happened by lucky chance to be following the right doctrine.....or the 3rd option is that maybe you've all been lied to all these years as 41,000 denominations just doesn't stand up to the word "TRUTH" and only a lie has different "versions". and if the original version was already a LIE, then oh dear!!

On 6/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, Steviejay said:

Also there are approx. 41,000 different Christians denominations around the world

Doubt. I bet you can't name 100 of them.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:05 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

To answer the first question: for me, the big hang-up was the idea that god had a plan for my life.  I had put my entire life in god's hands, trusting in his divine destiny.  I never prepared for the future, planned a career, or even drew up a budget; because god was going to sort all that out according to his plan.  The problem was that god's plan never actually happened, no matter how patient or faithful I was.  Eventually, life sucked enough for me to decide that either god's plan wasn't all that great, or that god just didn't have a plan to begin with.  So, I decided to launch a solo project.  My plan isn't always that great either; but it sure beats god's.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if God's plan was to put you as a 'super moderator' in the middle of dozens of lost sheep and then helped you to receive your faith again so that they would all see God's lovingkindness and doubt the deceiver in their minds.

• Super Moderator
9 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if God's plan was to put you as a 'super moderator' in the middle of dozens of lost sheep and then helped you to receive your faith again so that they would all see God's lovingkindness and doubt the deceiver in their minds.

In keeping with god's character, that would be as stupid as any other plan he's come up with.

That said, as a super moderator, it is my duty to inform you that any attempts at preaching, witnessing, or any other form of proselytizing will be relegated to The Lion's Den. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Doubt. I bet you can't name 100 of them.

15 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:
On 6/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, Steviejay said:

Also there are approx. 41,000 different Christians denominations around the world

Doesn't matter if I could only name 50 of them, it doesn't change the fact that their is only ONE HOLY SPIRIT telling people completely different information regarding this book.

God is just a reflection of that person in the mirror. God's voice in your head is your own voice. That's why if people aren't happy with what they hear in one church, they change to another until they hear the message that THEY WANT TO HEAR.....It'snot rocket science

29 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

So lemme get this straight... God can't directly reveal himself to those of us who have sought him, often with heartfelt prayers and tears, but he might convince us because one of us might reconvert? Riigghhhtt. Great plan. 

It wouldn't be so much hilarious as a demonstration of the sadistic nature of the bible God that enjoys watching people suffer for his 'glory'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:
  40 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Wasting your time even contemplating this...

This book character and god of yours doesn't exist that's why he doesn't acheive anything or perform any "impossible" miracles. In fact praying to fresh air would acheive the same results

Again....not rocket science. People are "seeing the light" and deconverting because most of the bible is lies

27 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

So lemme get this straight... God can't directly reveal himself to those of us who have sought him, often with heartfelt prayers and tears, but he might convince us because one of us might reconvert? Riigghhhtt. Great plan. 

It wouldn't be so much hilarious as a demonstration of the sadistic nature of the bible God that enjoys watching people suffer for his 'glory'.

What do you mean by "can't directly reveal himself to those of us who have sought him"? Most people here have already met God, and received holy gifts, and praised Him and felt the Holy Spirit. It seems like they've just fell in to despair. You said "us" so you've sought God and were a Christian. I think you're saying you were seeking verbal confirmation of doing a good job, or going in the right direction, or approval to carry out your own plans. I sure do sympathize with you, honestly. I mean, kids might find playing with knives fun but it doesn't mean a parent is going to allow that to happen. Let's say you really had a specific career path in mind and you put lots of effort in to pursuing it but God stops it from happening. Sure you can be bitter about it but you can always trust. A gift of the holy spirit is understanding/wisdom, you may just be given understanding why you weren't allowed to walk a certain path and it would make you happy. Happened to me not long ago, I was pulled away from God and walking in flesh but still praying and trying really hard to develop a certain relationship but it turns out the woman was a complete dog and by allowing me to be hurt, God put me in touch with my real feelings and it helped me.

I freely admit the most frustrating thing about being Christian is God not answering my prayers. I can laugh off insults, I can be happy about people rejecting my help. They don't bother me anywhere near as much as being patient and trying to understand.

41 minutes ago, Steviejay said:

Doesn't matter if I could only name 50 of them, it doesn't change the fact that their is only ONE HOLY SPIRIT telling people completely different information regarding this book.

God is just a reflection of that person in the mirror. God's voice in your head is your own voice. That's why if people aren't happy with what they hear in one church, they change to another until they hear the message that THEY WANT TO HEAR.....It'snot rocket science

I think this is a misunderstanding, trying to delegitimize Christianity. By that I mean referring to people's beliefs as denominations instead of saying that all Christians (approx. 2billion?) have different ways to express their religion. Religion isn't a word you'll find in the bible a lot, it simply means the way someone acts according to their beliefs.  If I take the example of eating the bread wafers and drinking wine. Some people think this is literal blood, some people think it's a metaphor. Which one is true? It doesn't mean there are 2 Holy Spirits bifurcating the church in to denominations. It means that some people have better understanding than others and they express themselves according to their understanding. When the understanding increases, they will express themselves more appropriately, right? I mean, if they had a realization, surely they wouldn't continue expressing themselves like they used to do.

16 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:
57 minutes ago, Steviejay said:

I think this is a misunderstanding, trying to delegitimize Christianity. By that I mean referring to people's beliefs as denominations instead of saying that all Christians (approx. 2billion?) have different ways to express their religion. Religion isn't a word you'll find in the bible a lot, it simply means the way someone acts according to their beliefs.  If I take the example of eating the bread wafers and drinking wine. Some people think this is literal blood, some people think it's a metaphor. Which one is true? It doesn't mean there are 2 Holy Spirits bifurcating the church in to denominations. It means that some people have better understanding than others and they express themselves according to their understanding. When the understanding increases, they will express themselves more appropriately, right? I mean, if they had a realization, surely they wouldn't continue expressing themselves like they used to do.

No sorry, not buying that reasoning that people express christianity in "different ways"

There is only ONE HOLY SPIRIT.....it cannot and does not tell lies. It wouldn't tell people different meaning of things as this would be the "master of confussion". Your book is already expert at telling people different things!!! which is why this book is not from a god or a creator of the universe

it also leads to division which in it's mild form is used against other denominations as "They're not real christians" and in it's extreme form has lead to slavery, execusions, murders, rapes etc etc.....no "loving god" would EVER allow such nonsense especially if this god was ALL KNOWING

Just now, Steviejay said:

No sorry, not buying that reasoning that people express christianity in "different ways"

There is only ONE HOLY SPIRIT.....it cannot and does not tell lies. It wouldn't tell people different meaning of things as this would be the "master of confussion". Your book is already expert at telling people different things!!! which is why this book is not from a god or a creator of the universe

it also leads to division which in it's mild form is used against other denominations as "They're not real christians" and in it's extreme form has lead to slavery, execusions, murders, rapes etc etc.....no "loving god" would EVER allow such nonsense especially if this god was ALL KNOWING

Amen

It looks like you're confusing the acts of fallible people, who are surrounded by lies and wickedness, with the instructions of the Holy Spirit.

Can I ask you to provide an example of divisions in the church causing slavery? The slave trade was Jewish, I honestly can't recall reading anything about Christians setting it up. If anything, the early Christians preached liberty in the gospel. By executions I assume you mean the death penalty? If so, I haven't really thought about it much but I think I do support the death penalty for wicked people. Neither Christianity nor denominations preach or condone murder, it seems like you are throwing accusations in frustration.

I sympathize with you in questioning why a loving God will allow a bunch of horrendous acts to carry on but if you've been a Christian in your past you'll already know the scripture regarding suffering, patience, grace and working together all good things for those who love God. One woman that comes to mind is Joyce Meyer, a victim of abuse, her testimony is an example of using suffering for good.

2 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:
14 minutes ago, Steviejay said:

Amen

It looks like you're confusing the acts of fallible people, who are surrounded by lies and wickedness, with the instructions of the Holy Spirit.

Can I ask you to provide an example of divisions in the church causing slavery? The slave trade was Jewish, I honestly can't recall reading anything about Christians setting it up. If anything, the early Christians preached liberty in the gospel. By executions I assume you mean the death penalty? If so, I haven't really thought about it much but I think I do support the death penalty for wicked people. Neither Christianity nor denominations preach or condone murder, it seems like you are throwing accusations in frustration.

I sympathize with you in questioning why a loving God will allow a bunch of horrendous acts to carry on but if you've been a Christian in your past you'll already know the scripture regarding suffering, patience, grace and working together all good things for those who love God. One woman that comes to mind is Joyce Meyer, a victim of abuse, her testimony is an example of using suffering for good.

Again i'm not buying these arguments.

Remember these christians are "born again of the spirit" like many on here were but.....

God says slavery is ok...modern christians KNOW it's wrong

God says eating shellfish is wrong....not anymore it isn't

Sabbath breakers should be put to death.......Christians don't think so anymore

Jesus says love your enemies...then sats in Luke bring my enemies here before me and kill them

Love your enemies....hate your family..........................

and many many more

WHAT HAPPENED......GOD KEEPS CHANGING HIS MIND but all you modern churches have got it right even though it say in the NT that not 1 OT law is to be changed or altered, otherwise!!!!!...

Religion is just like evolution...................it has evolved with time.....even though your god is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.....you're not

Why don't you just admit that your god is just a "mess". Do this, don't do this.....do that, don't do that....follow this, don't follow this.....love them, don't love them...drive to New York, don't drive to New york....

I'm not going to go into massive detail....if you can't see how wrong your god is and his doctrine then either you never will or it will take another 30 years until your doubts start to grow

I for one, like many now...am happy that i'm out of this religious cult

It's complete and utter nonsense and to try and justify the inexcusable, Christians just make excuse, after excuse, after excuse, after excuse, after excuse for their god

If he was REAL no one would need to make up excuses....He never even updates his book even though it's centuries out of date.....WHY? because it's all man made, that's why