Anyone here an ex Christian who has “received the Holy Ghost” or “spoken in tongues”? I know it’s kind of a weird question considering it goes against the beliefs of being an ex Christian. However, I have heard a few people say that they at one point thought they received the Holy Ghost or spoke in tongues but they believe it to be just babbling now. 

It has never happened to me, but I've seen it happen to other people. I think that they reach such a state of euphoria that they give up control and start spewing jibberish. Credit, of course, always goes to the holy spirit..because science and logic have no place in the church... 😛

• Haha 2

I was also spirit-filled and had the gifts of both tongues and interpretation.  It was handy; because if I didn't know how to pray about something, I would just pray in tongues.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Ronasanchez said:

Anyone here an ex Christian who has “received the Holy Ghost” or “spoken in tongues”? I know it’s kind of a weird question considering it goes against the beliefs of being an ex Christian. However, I have heard a few people say that they at one point thought they received the Holy Ghost or spoke in tongues but they believe it to be just babbling now. 

"Feeling the Holy Spirit" was common for me in church, though now I just consider it was euphoric brain chemicals. There are other ways to accomplish that feeling without Jesus so I dont really think it was the Holy Spirit 'moving' , anymore. 

The church weirdos tried to get me to speak in tongues but I was too shy. My non-Christian foundation prevented me from allowing myself to talk stupid like the weirdos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still do speak in tongues, especially when lifting heavy things, to the amusement of my coworkers. Other times I find it popping out when I remember something embarrassing, I guess as an emotional defensive measure. It is gibberish. Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over, or follow a pattern. It's easy once you get started doing it.

The first time a lady pentecostal preacher cornered me to force it out of me, I spoke a phrase in Aztec (Nahuatl) and she was satisfied. I smirked as I turned and left. So much for discernment. 

Now the other parts about feeling power, heat, and such I also felt and have no explanation yet for them. It does fit in seamlessly with the other woo my wife follows. She thinks it has something to do with other people being in a similar mindset in one space. When I felt it, it was the exact caricature of the Shaker/Quaker namesake behavior. I felt a buzzing in my center of gravity just below the navel, and it began zipping up and down through my body and my hands began trembling and shaking. I liken it to a stretched-out Slinky toy being twanged on one end, and you can watch the kinetic energy travel down the metal and back. It remained focused in that one spot below my navel. I didn't tell my wife initially, but she described the same sensation at that meeting, so that was very interesting. She's felt something similar at secular gatherings like UFO conferences, so thinks it is something to do with people sharing some kind of energy. I honestly don't know what it is, but have felt it more than once. 

Another time, I was with a small bible group and felt heat pouring down like I was under a heating vent. Another lady there was fanning herself madly, but there was no vent. No idea why this sort of thing happens. I've heard about group hypnosis, but am not sure that is an adequate explanation. So far, I don't have an answer that satisfies me, so I say I don't know. 

17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I was also spirit-filled and had the gifts of both tongues and interpretation.  It was handy; because if I didn't know how to pray about something, I would just pray in tongues.  

So then how did your current beliefs that the religion is false come to be? Was it hard dealing with the fact that you thought Christianity to be false and that you also felt you received the Holy Ghost?

6 hours ago, Ronasanchez said:

So then how did your current beliefs that the religion is false come to be? Was it hard dealing with the fact that you thought Christianity to be false and that you also felt you received the Holy Ghost?

To answer the first question: for me, the big hang-up was the idea that god had a plan for my life.  I had put my entire life in god's hands, trusting in his divine destiny.  I never prepared for the future, planned a career, or even drew up a budget; because god was going to sort all that out according to his plan.  The problem was that god's plan never actually happened, no matter how patient or faithful I was.  Eventually, life sucked enough for me to decide that either god's plan wasn't all that great, or that god just didn't have a plan to begin with.  So, I decided to launch a solo project.  My plan isn't always that great either; but it sure beats god's. 

To answer the second question: for me it is simple psychology.  Social acceptance is a need that is instinctual (and strong) in humans.  This needs creates a variety of coping mechanisms during childhood that often follow us into adulthood.  The unnatural can become natural given the right environment and social pressures.  This is what allows otherwise intelligent, reasonable, and rational people to become Nazis or slave traders.  It is also what drives people to believe that the gibberish pouring out of their subconscious minds in an effort to gain the approval of their peers is actually the indwelling of the holy spirit. 

15 hours ago, Fuego said:

I still do speak in tongues, especially when lifting heavy things, to the amusement of my coworkers. Other times I find it popping out when I remember something embarrassing, I guess as an emotional defensive measure. It is gibberish. Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over, or follow a pattern. It's easy once you get started doing it.

The first time a lady pentecostal preacher cornered me to force it out of me, I spoke a phrase in Aztec (Nahuatl) and she was satisfied. I smirked as I turned and left. So much for discernment. 

Now the other parts about feeling power, heat, and such I also felt and have no explanation yet for them. It does fit in seamlessly with the other woo my wife follows. She thinks it has something to do with other people being in a similar mindset in one space. When I felt it, it was the exact caricature of the Shaker/Quaker namesake behavior. I felt a buzzing in my center of gravity just below the navel, and it began zipping up and down through my body and my hands began trembling and shaking. I liken it to a stretched-out Slinky toy being twanged on one end, and you can watch the kinetic energy travel down the metal and back. It remained focused in that one spot below my navel. I didn't tell my wife initially, but she described the same sensation at that meeting, so that was very interesting. She's felt something similar at secular gatherings like UFO conferences, so thinks it is something to do with people sharing some kind of energy. I honestly don't know what it is, but have felt it more than once. 

Another time, I was with a small bible group and felt heat pouring down like I was under a heating vent. Another lady there was fanning herself madly, but there was no vent. No idea why this sort of thing happens. I've heard about group hypnosis, but am not sure that is an adequate explanation. So far, I don't have an answer that satisfies me, so I say I don't know. 

I wonder if any of that heat or energy is measurable by instrumentation? Since it also is occurring at secular gatherings it seems the common denominator would be people. During one of these gatherings, I wonder if people generate their own (additional) energy or heat that only affects their own individual body or is it a co-mingling of everyone's 'energy' in the room? That's really interesting, Fuego.

I remember being in a fairly smaller room (smaller than the large santuary) in church. It was the youth group room. There were a lot of teenagers in there all worshiping Jesus. I dont recall if it was extra warm there, though if it was, that could be because there were lots of warm bodies in a small room. I did feel what we all described as the 'spirit' quite pronounced though. I wouldn't say it was the Holy Spirit but I might say that people in a group seem to be able to generate a euphoric experience, somehow. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fuego said:

Most of those who do it have a pat-phrase they use over and over

Cee-oh Cee-ay Cee-oh-ell-ay, Lord, quinch our thirst!

(Actual phrase commonly used by a guy who drove a delivery truck for a certain beverage company) 

According to the 16 fundamental truths of the ASSemblies of god,  the "initial physical evidence" of the indwelling of the holy spirit is speaking in tongues.  Unfortunately, this stance is not biblical.  The bible lists physical evidence of the indwelling of the holy spirit as "gifts of the spirit" (wisdom, fortitude, piety, etc.) and "fruits of the spirit" (you,  patience, faithfulness, etc.).  The bible never mentions tongues as being a requirement for baptism in, or indwelling of, the holy spirit. 

Moreover, there are two Greek words translated as "tongues" in the bible: glossolalia (refering to any vical utterance or articulation) and dialektos (referring to actual languages or dialects).  The word used in Acts 2 was dialektos, which means that when the apostles received the holy spirit on the day of pentecost, they were miraculously enabled to speak in other languages (Swahili, Serbian, Cantonese, etc.).  Thus the gibberish common in pentecostal churches is also not in keeping with the scripture. 

In short, the modern practice of speaking in tongues cannot be the work of the same holy spirit who inspired the written word of god, as it is contrary to said text.

• Like 1