Goodbye Jesus

My pastor denied my gender v2

Hole_In_My_Heart

Firstly, you will realise that I have little interest in what Jesus said. However, I wouldnt expect the New Testament writers to record any comments or, indeed, that Jesus said anything about issues that were not recognised two thousand years ago. The Bible does not address every issue. But it does suggest some general principles which I have stated.

It seems of no consequence to me - today is today. Science and social social have moved on (and still moving).

• Like 1

See, here is where the Bible can be problematic! We are both totally sure of opposite and non-overlapping positions about what it says for even a basic concept. My mother always used to say that the Bible could be used to prove or disprove pretty much anything; it does often seem that way.

• Like 1

I'm having difficulty understanding. It seems to me that Jesus welcomed everyone who went to him and told stories about others he accepted. If he was alive today I am absolutely certain that, based on what it says in the Bible, he would welcome everyone - thus non-binary people.

What more do Christians need?

• Like 1

Yes, that's right, the Bible shows that Jesus extended his love and caring to everyone. He did not make any exceptions of categories of people who should not be loved and cared for. Anyone who claims to be a Christian should have that exact same attitude. Not many do though. But, it is also possible to love the sinner and hate the sin, in other words to love someone without accepting them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hole_In_My_Heart said:

But, it is also possible to love the sinner and hate the sin, in other words to love someone without accepting them.

I would say that you are splitting hairs. OK I know that this is a trite statement made by certain types of Christian. They need to define what is a sin and what is not - that's a judgemental act. And that's where they show their real colours.

I can understand, though I profoundly disagree, why some Christians think, for example, that sex between people of the same gender is sin - they base this on wrong interpretations of a few verses in the Bible. I can understand, though I profoundly disagree, why some Christians believe in the death penalty and this is based on one Bible slant which ignores other Bible teaching.

What about a hungry child who lifts an apple from a vegetable stall in the street? Sin? What about the millionaire who works stocks and shares for their own profit? Sin?

And do they say that your non-binaryness (there's that word again!) is sin?

I see love and acceptance as totally different things; love is an emotion, acceptance is an intellectual decision. We'll just have to agree to disagree there.

I don't think that a definition of sin is necessary, or even possible, other than "whatever God says it is," because there are always so many if's and's or but's, eg stealing in general is wrong, but then there's the hungry child example.

Christians are supposed to judge; that's how they determine right from wrong, and good people from bad people. The line about judging not lest ye be judged is taken out of context.

I don't know if anybody is saying that being non-binary is a sin; we should probably assume that somebody is, given how intolerant many Christians and churches are these days. What my pastor said is actually worse, really; that it doesn't exist. For something to be a sin, it has to at least exist! I refuse to not exist.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've been doing really well! So much of my exhaustion and stress has just faded away. I have so much better quality and quantity of sleep, I'm getting much more done, all positive things!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Hole_In_My_Heart said:

I've been doing really well! So much of my exhaustion and stress has just faded away. I have so much better quality and quantity of sleep, I'm getting much more done, all positive things!

It's great to hear that you're doing better. Sorry I hadn't gotten around to participating in the new thread after the first one was mindlessly derailed, but I'm glad that things are improving for you. I wish you the best of luck as you move forward. 

17 hours ago, Hole_In_My_Heart said:

That's good news.Day at a time! Had been wondering how you are.

• Like 1