Goodbye Jesus

Lucifer on Netflix

Wertbag

My wife and I were searching for a TV series that we could both enjoy and came across Lucifer on Netflix. For those who haven't seen it basically its a crime/comedy blend where Lucifer escapes from hell (how has not been said) and ends up rich and living in LA. He meets a homicide detective and starts assisting solving crimes for the fun of it. 

Their version of Lucifer is a self centred, egotistical, sin loving playboy, but he is not evil. He is described as the warden of hell rather than a psycho. 

I find the anti-hero character and especially his hot demon sidekick really funny. His demon friend is psychotic, loyal to her friends but enjoys fighting and pain. She started as Lucifers bodyguard and later switched to bounty hunting because she enjoys hunting humans. Sometimes the story is poorly written, but rarely enough not to put me off and any show that makes me laugh can get away with a bit of silliness. One example was when the detective was trying to locate Lucifer and she says "it was easy I just used the location services on your dating app" or the guy who was shot in the stomach, they dug the bullet out and stitched the skin closed so he didn't need to go to hospital.

In the last episode I watched, a lawyer went to hell when her only crime was knowingly help guilty people get off. This seemed quite ridiculous as she did everything within the law and used technicalities when available. She didn't commit any crimes and doing your job well shouldn't be a problem. They kind of briefly addressed it saying it was your own guilt that would send you to hell, and hinted that once you forgave yourself there would be nothing to torture yourself with. My first thought was of a psychopathic serial killer with no empathy. He wouldn't feel guilt, so by that ruling he could go straight to heaven...

Their version of god is a divine energy that doesn't communicate, even with the angels. They sometimes get visions or hints but nothing firm. This lead to some interesting debates between angels where their interpretation of the signs came to different conclusions. 

I've heard Christians say it is wrong and evil because it puts Lucifer and even his demon friend in a good light. I like that I can just enjoy it cos it ain't the reals. 

• Like 2

I loved this show! They are doing a final season.

Some of the stuff is silly, but some is just ROTFLMAO and they do tie in various religious themes well.

I love their songs from Heavy Young Heathens. "Evil Has a Price" is a good song imo.

• Like 1

I love the show! I don't have NetFlix, so I have not yet seen Season Four. I really enjoyed the first two seasons; the third faltered a bit, but was still pretty enjoyable.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, Wertbag said:

My wife and I were searching for a TV series that we could both enjoy and came across Lucifer on Netflix.

Wow, this is exactly how I found the show too. We only ended up watching about one and a half seasons before my wife got bored, but it was pretty interesting.

One thing I noticed is that the Christian theology on the show is awful. Obviously this doesn't bother me on anything more than a purely intellectual level, but if I were still a Christian I would be deeply annoyed at all of the elements of the show that have no basis in the Bible at all. It's a very interesting window into what the general, Biblically-illiterate public think about Christianity.

1 hour ago, Bhim said:

Wow, this is exactly how I found the show too. We only ended up watching about one and a half seasons before my wife got bored, but it was pretty interesting.

One thing I noticed is that the Christian theology on the show is awful. Obviously this doesn't bother me on anything more than a purely intellectual level, but if I were still a Christian I would be deeply annoyed at all of the elements of the show that have no basis in the Bible at all. It's a very interesting window into what the general, Biblically-illiterate public think about Christianity.

I think they pull from the Jewish Talmud etc as well - hence some of the angel names.

I always thought the theology was basically god exists but humans have got it all wrong. The bible is humans guessing but they haven't got it right. 

Might be just me giving them the benefit of the doubt, probably filling in the gaps to make it work in my mind. 

1 hour ago, Wertbag said:

I always thought the theology was basically god exists but humans have got it all wrong. The bible is humans guessing but they haven't got it right. 

Might be just me giving them the benefit of the doubt, probably filling in the gaps to make it work in my mind. 

I thought that too. 

I love that show! Its very biblical in ways. All a crock but fun in a weird way. Satan is, after all, Lord of this world. If he were not, how could he offer Christ all the kingdoms of the earth?

• 3 weeks later...

I really LOVED this show. Once in a church group  ( I still attend a Christian church on occasion to see my friends etc) I asked if anyone watched Lucifer and you could have heard a pin drop. It was an uncomfortable silence as if I asked had anyone masturbated lately🤣  I love asking staunch  Christians about the show. Some of the more progressive ones laugh it off, hbut for the most part it evokes disgust. Yes I am an agitator sometimes.

One of my favorite episodes was when Lucy and Cain went under cover as a gay couple. When the unsuspecting mark asked them if their families were accepting of their relationship, Lucifer responded "oh my father is definitely not at all in approval of this".  I was ROTFLMAO.  There were other laughable quips but that one stands out. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jagdish said:

I really LOVED this show. Once in a church group  ( I still attend a Christian church on occasion to see my friends etc) I asked if anyone watched Lucifer and you could have heard a pin drop. It was an uncomfortable silence as if I asked had anyone masturbated lately🤣  I love asking staunch  Christians about the show. Some of the more progressive ones laugh it off, hbut for the most part it evokes disgust. Yes I am an agitator sometimes.

One of my favorite episodes was when Lucy and Cain went under cover as a gay couple. When the unsuspecting mark asked them if their families were accepting of their relationship, Lucifer responded "oh my father is definitely not at all in approval of this".  I was ROTFLMAO.  There were other laughable quips but that one stands out. 

Oh, that was a great episode! Normally, I did not care for the Cain character at all, but he and Lucy paired up very nicely and comedically.

I've just finished season 3 and it did get pretty weird near the end. It was like all of the characters had a complete reversal. Lucifer went from a self confident playboy to a whiny love struck puppy, Cain went from a bad ass underworld crime boss to a whiny love struck puppy. Decker went from a hard nosed homicide detective to instantly accepting a marriage proposal from a guy she had just broken up with. Charlotte changed from a hard as nails lawyer to a whiny crime breaking angel assistant. Maze became emotional, Linda became stupid, Amenidel learnt that everything he had been doing was a waste of time and irrelevant. 

Felt really jarring, the sudden out of character plots. I can see why the ratings took a hit and it got cancelled, only to be saved and given a chance to end properly. 

Season 4 has started to a much better pace with Deckers confusion and the church getting involved. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, Bhim said:

It's a very interesting window into what the general, Biblically-illiterate public think about Christianity.

Not to mention the Biblically-illiterate entertainment industry.