Goodbye Jesus

Missionary Pretends to be Doctor, Hundreds of Deaths

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

I had heard about this. So sad for those deceived. Anything in the name of da lard.

• Super Moderator

I remember taking missions trips in youth group many years ago.  A lot of people pretended to be someone i knew they weren't; but I figured that was just typical for that age group.  It never dawned on me that someone would go so far as to perform medical procedures on children.  Detestable.  Utterly detestable.

Just to play devil's advocate, anytime you are talking about a war torn, third world, famine ravaged region we expect the mortality rate to be high. We have accusations from a couple of grieving mothers not hundreds, and lashing out in grief is not always a way to truth. It reminds me of anti-vaxxers blaming the drugs when the issues existed prior. 

Don't get me wrong, she practiced without a licence and undoubtedly caused harm, I'm just not sure we have a clear picture of how much damage she did. It was mentioned that SHC did have medical staff on their roster, so while Renee wasn't trained that doesn't mean there was no professionals at all. 

Some of these things are more like there is next to no support and if you take no action the child will die. Do you sit back and do nothing or do you try your best? If someone collapsed on the street I wouldn't say "sorry, I'm not a doctor" I'd at least try to do what I could. If they died regardless then I'd be protected by good samaritian laws. The question is was there alternative assistance available or not? Its not clear from what I've read if there were other choices that families had turned down in favour of SHC. 

I'm also very suspicious of a group called "no white saviours", sure this particular centre was doing things badly wrong, but the group doesn't just hit out at untrained missionaries but instead makes it a race issue. Why white saviours and not Christian saviours? Surely if Renee had been black, hispanic or Asian then her actions would be just as bad? All of the white professionals from the red cross, doctors without borders and the like do great work and save many lives. We should not vilify all aid work because of stupid missionaries. 

• Super Moderator

No White Saviors? WTF is that shit?

6 hours ago, florduh said:

No White Saviors? WTF is that shit?

https://nowhitesaviors.org/who-we-are/

An organisation who are all about pointing out how evil white people are. They are the main driving force behind the calls for Renee to be punished. 

Make it all about race then throw the baby out with the bath water.