Sign in to follow this  
TEG

Free will: yes or no?

Just curious if anyone has pondered the existence, or not, of free will, and its implications for one’s world view.  When you jump off a diving board, you do not have a choice of whether to fall into the pool or not.  But you do seem to have a choice of whether or not to jump off the diving board in the first place.  Is there something “in there” that can make actual choices?  Or are your choices all ultimately determined by physical laws?  Like a single-celled animal changing direction based on a chemical gradient, just way more complicated.

The phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where distantly-separated particles seem to remain in some sort of contact, can be resolved if the observers do not have free will.  But a recent experiment seems to have supported it existence:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/photons-quasars-and-the-possibility-of-free-will/

Every choice we have is limited by circumstance so we can exercise free will within certain parameters.

We always do exercise our "free will" in practice. Often our choice is the lesser evil and not our ideal, but we do make that choice. Everything is our own doing, which is the real meaning of "Karma."

13 hours ago, TEG said:

Just curious if anyone has pondered the existence, or not, of free will, and its implications for one’s world view.  When you jump off a diving board, you do not have a choice of whether to fall into the pool or not.  But you do seem to have a choice of whether or not to jump off the diving board in the first place.  Is there something “in there” that can make actual choices?  Or are your choices all ultimately determined by physical laws?  Like a single-celled animal changing direction based on a chemical gradient, just way more complicated.

The phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where distantly-separated particles seem to remain in some sort of contact, can be resolved if the observers do not have free will.  But a recent experiment seems to have supported it existence:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/photons-quasars-and-the-possibility-of-free-will/

Pretty ingenious idea using quasars to be the RNG. :)

Benjamin Libet's experiment in free will: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjCt-L0Ph5o

Have you checked out the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6HLjpj4Nt4

• Thanks 1

I have read about Libet’s experiment; it challenges the nature of consciousness itself, suggesting that it is just an epiphenomenon.  As if the inner workings of the mind were a submarine, and consciousness was a little periscope that the mind puts up to observe and interact with the world.  An outside observer might erroneously think that it was the periscope itself that was thinking and making decisions.

I wish I had the patience to follow the delayed choice video, but I think I get the drift.

The entanglement factor in the delayed reaction experiment is interesting. 

This question always seems to hint back to a limited free in a deterministic universe answer. Because so many things are deterministic and free will seems very limited, if it really exists at all. 

On 8/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, TEG said:

Free Will is an interesting concept for sure. Based upon the old baloney testament, God gave mankind (Adam and Eve) free will, but if God knows in advance what is going to happen, what kind of free will is that?

Concerning philosophy and free will: Hard core determinism asserts that free will is an illusion, that every event and action has a cause. Nearly every philosophy and religion in history has something to say about free will.  In determinism, the concepts of free will and related motivation to action are thought to be an illusion and that there are both internal and external causes for human behavior, and that your own mind has little or no choice in it. The existence of free will is denied by most proponents of determinism. According to the famous modern-day philosopher Skinner,  a person who commits a crime had no real choice.

In science, quantum mechanics asserts that the quantum world has a lot of real randomness within it. This of course could play out as free will at the larger scales of molecular matter and humans. This comes from there, IMO, misunderstandings and belief that there are no local hidden variables associated with interactions of particles in the sub-atomic realm. However, this could be where free will comes from, local hidden variable in the quantum realm. If such a hidden realm of any type, an aether, such ideas as a background force field, dark energy, dark matter, the zero point field/ energy etc., then there would be almost infinite possible external and external variables that could be involved in a human decision so that it would be impossible to ever predict human behavior 100%.

Such an idea would be like flipping a coin to make a decision one way or another. Your initial decision was heads I'll do it or tails I won't, or heads I'll do it one way and tails I'll do it another way. Maybe I'll let someone else or a group make my decision. Is these examples of free will ? :)

"Free Will, defined: "the power or capacity to choose among alternatives or to act in certain situations independently of natural, social, or divine restraints."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/free-will

I think free will is simply a perspective concerning decision making. IMO all should lead their lives, which nearly all do anyway, as if free will existed. Philosophy, after all, does not explain reality, it is simply a perspective of it. And there are countless possible, yet valid perspectives of reality IMO.