Sign in to follow this  
OrdinaryClay

Christian Persecution

I do not know if you are around here anymore.

This is my opinion.

First it depends on what persecution means. The level of harm being done. I am guessing you referr to the more gross forms like murder torture exile , etc. 

Well it is hard for me to give an opinion because in general christianity has a very high regard of suffering for Christ/ Church. That early history is full of stories of christians wanting to suffer for Christ. Martyrdom is a supreme virtue. So in a way, it is a good thing for the religion. Jesus and Paul both warned about horrific persecution like death torture public and private. So saying that well it is not good that people are persecuted when the doctrine is about being persecuted, and this life is basically sinful and we should await the general ressurection is quite hard for me to hold. In other words they are searching for it . Actively. I mean the model of the christians is a man who was crucified for his theological beliefs.

There have been other issues brought forth but I rest here. 

One thing though. If, and I say if,  your starting point is everything God does is good, no mater the explanation or lack there of you are in a position that absolutely nothing could change your mind. And that is a problem because similar claims can be made like everything  TheRedneckprofessor does is good no matter what. That is the problem with unfalsifiable stances. There are a great number of them, that contradict each other and you cannot know which is true. This was one of the first things that make and made me doubt certain core christian beliefs.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, OrdinaryClay said:

I don't know any Christians that believe this. 

"Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on 
you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written,
"VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A 
DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. "
(Rom 12:17-21 NASB)

It would be more convincing if Christians, especially of the fundamentalist variety, did a better job of living by what their Bible says. I'm having a hard time coming up with any Christians who decry the persecution of non-Christians as fervently as they do the persecution of their own.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 8:25 AM, OrdinaryClay said:

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob has no needs.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:25 AM, OrdinaryClay said:

We benefit from acting out through love.

So if you believe in a God who has no needs and you believe that you benefit from "acting out through love," again I ask, what is your purpose here?  How is it that YOU are acting out through love? You believe you benefit in what way?

So if I go to a an attractive woman and say, you know it is beneficial for you to have sex with me. Of course I have no need or use for it I am just giving you this great opportunity. 

You realise how manipulative this sounds? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's been a week since we've heard from Mr. Clay.

O.C., are you out there? Any response to my post about the religions that do not proselytize? I've provided facts against your unsupported claim, and any time you want to apologize for the gratuitous insult, it would be welcome.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, OrdinaryClay said:

So what does shiva teach?

He is very unconventional

Shiva makes and breaks all social customs and moral codes to convey his state of freedom. He is the lord of the Tantra, who permits left hand methods of worship to sublimate evil tendencies to show that we need to transcend all dualities and judgment to achieve liberation. Which means you do not have to worry about what you eat, how you live, what lifestyle you follow, what norms you practice and to which caste or social background you belong.

He makes your anger acceptable and tolerable

Shiva can really get frighteningly angry at times and unleash his destructive powers. No one wants to see Shiva angry, even gods, because when he is angry he can do terrible things. Which means you can acknowledge your anger as an aspect of Shiva and not feel guilty about it.

These two don't even scratch the surface. will write more when I return.