trashy

Apocalypse Addiction

Every time I think I have rid myself of Christian thinking, I find another area where that bullshit is still impacting me! :(

My most recent discovery is about apocalypse. Back in the day, this was always tied to the 2nd coming and/or rapture and millenium. On any given day you can find a headline that ties in to some prophecy and ‘proves’ that the Bible is right and *this time* it’s real, it’s happening. The end of the world.

Of course every apocalyptic prophecy ever made has failed, otherwise none of us would be here.

And yet I was forced to acknowledge that after leaving Christianity and becoming quite liberal in my beliefs I just traded one apocalypse in for another. This time the apocalypse was man-made. We’re killing all the animals and the air and now the climate and we’re all going to die at our own hands. It’s like I just started worshipping at the eco-disaster altar. 

I guess a second deconversion is in order...

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:24 PM, trashy said:

We’re killing all the animals and the air and now the climate and we’re all going to die at our own hands. It’s like I just started worshipping at the eco-disaster altar. 

I guess a second deconversion is in order...

Totally understood. I'm one of those (rare?) ex-Christians who is politically very conservative. The climate change debacle is part of what led me to this position. Mind you, I am far from scientifically illiterate. I have a PhD in astrophysics and have read a small fraction of the climate science literature (which is far more than the general public has done). I believe the science, of course. But the claims that "the world is ending in 12 years" are not only laughable and childish, but akin to the apocalpytic fears of my former fellow Christians. The claim that climate change is an expression of white supremacy is likewise worthy of ridicule. You can likely infer from my choice of non-Christian religion that I do not possess any Western European heritage whatsoever, and I am claiming that racism in the Western world does not exist in a significant measure. To even discuss racism in the context of climate change negates the very notion of so-called "climate justice" which is promulgated by the political left. This is merely an atheistic version of the Christian persecution complex. Climate justice advocates are effectively evangelical Christians who want us to repent of our sins and believe that the world is persecuting us. "Take heart, for climate activists have overcome the world."

I believe in climate science. I do not believe in climate justice. The latter is a religion, and I did not leave Jesus just to join another faith: one with far worse theology and worship music, at that.

Avoid anyone who tells you that the Sun Monster is going to kill you. This is simply another version of the Beast.

• Like 1

Then again, we are wrecking this globe pretty well and pretty fast, so this "apocalypse" at least has a basis in fact. Of course that doesn't stop the journaille from hyping it all up until, if all you look at is the journaille, you have to think it's all bullcrap.

Sadly, pretty much all the scientists agree that this shit is happening. Disagreements are mostly about details, just like with evolutionary theory.

Not the nicest thing to post in here, but denying facts doesn't help anyone so... :vent: