Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazz99

Is it actually impossible to reason with a devout christian?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

If I posted something you would have denied it emotional.....it being subjective.  Point being, you rationalize emotion a valid response. 

"If I did this you would do that". 

Great discussion. Great deflection. Your discussion techniques or the lack thereof have already been pointed out to you. Maybe your thing here is just keep up with that behavior until others leave the discussion so then you can somehow claim you "won" or scored a point. In any case good day to you this is a waste of my time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WalterP said:

 

Edgarcito,

 

Context is all important. I was talking about the level of empathy that you've displayed in this thread towards that ten year old sex slave. I've seen none from you. When the RedneckProfessor first asked you about that little girl, here's the level of empathy you displayed.

 

  On 10/10/2019 at 12:13 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

A ten-year-old girl gets sold into sexual slavery and is brutally raped multiple times every day; she kills herself a year later.  Is that the level/place god needed her to be to fit his plan?  

That would be the theory...

 

You washed your hands of her.

 

Image result for pontius pilate wash hands

Which is very curious, considering that you have children and I do not.  Even though you are the Christian and I'm not, even though you have children and I don't and even though you have faith and I do not, you've displayed a callous disregard for her, while I am very concerned about her.

 

A good worked example of how faith can be a bad thing if it corrodes a person's humanity.

 

This. This is what I despised about myself when I finally realized what kind of person my faith had made me. But luckily the indoctrination didn't completely win and I had some humanity left and it's what drove me to ask the difficult questions regarding Christianity.  I post this for all the lurkers out there who read this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Why? I admire TRP for his perseverance, but there is precious little real substance to replies to us here. 

Personally, I think edgarcito has gotten to the point where he's just making shit up as he goes along.  He started out presenting himself as a devout christian; but was unable to satisfactorily reconcile the beliefs of christianity.  That's when he announced that he was kinda sorta a half-assed pantheist.  But when it was pointed out that pantheism and christianity cannot peacefully coexist in light of the bible, he went on this yarn-spin about how god used to be evil but wanted to get better so he took all of his evil and created us out of it.  Now we have to suffer so that god can be healed; in contradiction to christianity's claim that jesus suffered so that we might be healed. 

 

His god has become even more selfish and cruel; and he's not really thinking his answers through very well.  Whereas he started out needing to justify worshipping a god who merely planned the rape of ten-year-old girls, now he has to justify worshipping a god who is the rapist of the ten-year-old girls.  Because now everything is god.

 

I'm sure he will deny all of this.  Swirl on, there, eddie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Personally, I think edgarcito has gotten to the point where he's just making shit up as he goes along.  He started out presenting himself as a devout christian; but was unable to satisfactorily reconcile the beliefs of christianity.  Then, suddenly, he announced that he was kinda sorta a half-assed pantheist.  But when it was pointed out that pantheism and christianity cannot peacefully coexist in light of the bible, he went on this yarn-spin about how god used to be evil but wanted to get better so he took all of his evil and created us out of it.  Now we have to suffer so that god can be healed; in contradiction to christianity's claim that jesus suffered so that we might be healed. 

 

His god has become even more selfish and cruel; and he's not really thinking his answers through very well.  Whereas he started out needing to justify worshipping a god who merely planned the rape of ten-year-old girls, now he has to justify worshipping a god who is the rapist of the ten-year-old girls.  Because now everything is god.

 

I'm sure he will deny all of this.  Swirl on, there, eddie.

It was a proposal, reasoning, in an attempt to put God's qualities, OT and new, together in a viable scenario in response to Josh's exceptional ability to reason via communication.  I thought my outline was indeed provocative....damn near brilliant actually.  And you've misunderstood the scenario given what you have written here.  Yes, I would be run out of most congregations due to their fears......but you keep asking how I may reconcile the qualities of God you are determined to dislike. 

 

A decent question you might have asked after my proposal would have been:  Interesting, that makes me think of what "our" means in humanity was created in "our" image.  Do we think our means the qualities of God, good and bad?  Interesting Eddie.

 

But there's no reasoning, you seem to stuck in your bitterness there bud.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Interesting, that makes me think of what "our" means in humanity was created in "our" image.  Do we think our means the qualities of God, good and bad? 

"Our" could either have been used because Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion; or it could be taken as the Royal "Our".  That is how most of the biblical scholars I'm aware of have interpreted it.  But, maybe you have single-handedly solved a dilemma that has plagued humanity for millennia.  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

"Our" could either have been used because Judaism was originally a polytheistic religion; or it could be taken as the Royal "Our".  That is how most of the biblical scholars I'm aware of have interpreted it.  But, maybe you have single-handedly solved a dilemma that has plagued humanity for millennia.  🙄

Maybe so.....God works in mysterious ways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

It was a proposal, reasoning, in an attempt to put God's qualities, OT and new, together in a viable scenario in response to Josh's exceptional ability to reason via communication.

In other words, making shit up as you go along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

But there's no reasoning, you seem to stuck in your bitterness there bud.

This is another tactic that many theistic apologists often employ; and it is important to point it out.  After the tough questions have been dodged and the hard truths ignored, the believer will often resort to ad hominem attacks.  This is a personal attack against the character of those who presume to disagree with them.  It is an attempt to make it seem as though the doubter is somehow flawed and therefore their arguments can't be trusted.  It is also, often, an attempt on the part of the believer to retain the sense of moral or spiritual superiority.  It is very base and low-brow; but nobody could do it quite like Luth-ifer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

In other words, making shit up as you go along.

No, not really....many of you are dissatisfied with the orthodox view.  "This doesn't fit together here, or there".  Then you declare total bs on the entire endeavor.  Why is it illegal for me to try and think about the pieces and how they might fit together?  Makes even me feel better to think I have a scenario that make the pieces fit.  Why is this a crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

No, not really....many of you are dissatisfied with the orthodox view.  "This doesn't fit together here, or there".  Then you declare total bs on the entire endeavor.  Why is it illegal for me to try and think about the pieces and how they might fit together?  Makes even me feel better to think I have a scenario that make the pieces fit.  Why is this a crime.

In other words, "Why can't I just make shit up as I go along?"  You are more than welcome to.

 

But why can't you admit that's what you're doing?  Think about it before you answer, m'kay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

In other words, "Why can't I just make shit up as I go along?"  You are more than welcome to.

 

But why can't you admit that's what you're doing?  Think about it before you answer, m'kay?

I'm perfectly capable of understanding the orthodox position. 

 

Ok, that's what I'm doing....trying to make the pieces fit myself.  Thinking a bunch of people wouldn't mind knowing how it fits together....including me.  Now let's proceed please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By all means, Sir, proceed.

p-tombstone-val-kilmer.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I'm perfectly capable of understanding the orthodox position. 

 

Ok, that's what I'm doing....trying to make the pieces fit myself.  Thinking a bunch of people wouldn't mind knowing how it fits together....including me.  Now let's proceed please.

 

Why assume it should or can "fit together" or make any logical sense? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

Ok, that's what I'm doing....

So, now that you've had some time to think about it, why was it so hard for you to admit that you're just making shit up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, florduh said:

 

Why assume it should or can "fit together" or make any logical sense? 

I don't think we should assume that it needs to fit together.  I think things that are more concrete make us feel more safe, that trust and faith make us feel more vulnerable.   We want to eat, to be safe, to be in control....see RNP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So, now that you've had some time to think about it, why was it so hard for you to admit that you're just making shit up?

Call it what you would like....trying to understand the story, understand God.  There are worse things to do in our spare time.

 

So my theory reconciles the OT and NT God.

Also explains God's reaction to free will. 

Explains the statement "we are all Gods"

 

Makes use of priests/doctors....the Levites.

Gives us a potential insight into the entity that created.

 

I like it for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Call it what you would like....trying to understand the story, understand God.  There are worse things to do in our spare time.

 

So my theory reconciles the OT and NT God.

Also explains God's reaction to free will. 

Explains the statement "we are all Gods"

 

Makes use of priests/doctors....the Levites.

Gives us a potential insight into the entity that created.

 

I like it for now.

That's nice.   Why was it so hard to admit that you're just making shit up as you go along?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, some things have changed in this thread, but one thing certainly hasn't.

 

Edgarcito's changed from being covertly evasive to overtly evasive.  We've also found out that he's not an orthodox Christian, but holds heretical views of god. 

 

But the one thing he has been totally consistent on in this thread is his callous indifference to the suffering of that ten year old sex slave.

 

It's nice to have cleanly washed hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WalterP said:

Well, some things have changed in this thread, but one thing certainly hasn't.

 

Edgarcito's changed from being covertly evasive to overtly evasive.  We've also found out that he's not an orthodox Christian, but holds heretical views of god. 

 

But the one thing he has been totally consistent on in this thread is his callous indifference to the suffering of that ten year old sex slave.

 

It's nice to have cleanly washed hands.

Walter, again, how would you know anything about my cares or concerns.  Where's your proof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

I don't think we should assume that it needs to fit together.  I think things that are more concrete make us feel more safe, that trust and faith make us feel more vulnerable.   We want to eat, to be safe, to be in control....see RNP. 

 

If you're trying to make it fit you must think it should and can fit. There is no reason to assume this anymore than there is reason to assume you can make sense of alphabet soup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

That's nice.   Why was it so hard to admit that you're just making shit up as you go along?

Because you're not really here to have a dialogue..  My opinions are that, opinions, yet you label them shit.  And my opinions come from me....so you are essentially labeling me shit.  Difficult to converse when people have no respect for your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Because you're not really here to have a dialogue..  My opinions are that, opinions, yet you label them shit.  And my opinions come from me....so you are essentially labeling me shit.  Difficult to converse when people have no respect for your thoughts.

My observation is that your thoughts and arguments are ever changing and rely solely on unfounded assertions. What are we to make of such a mess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, florduh said:

My observation is that your thoughts and arguments are ever changing and rely solely on unfounded assertions. What are we to make of such a mess?

My thoughts are the Professor needs emotional help.... and shouldn't be in a mod position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Because you're not really here to have a dialogue..  My opinions are that, opinions, yet you label them shit.  And my opinions come from me....so you are essentially labeling me shit.  Difficult to converse when people have no respect for your thoughts.

Okay.  Read the question and try to understand what it is I am actually trying to ask you, what I'm trying to get you to think about:

 

What was it so hard for you to admit that you're just making shit up as you go along?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Okay.  Read the question and try to understand what it is I am actually trying to ask you, what I'm trying to get you to think about:

 

What was it so hard for you to admit that you're just making shit up as you go along?

I have an idea....why don't you just ask it directly rather than couch it in douchebaggery...  I believe this to be more reasonable.....the theme of the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.