Goodbye Jesus

Is it actually impossible to reason with a devout christian?

Bazz99

14 minutes ago, florduh said:

It is indeed pointless and frustrating as well. The only value of this dialog is that lurkers pop in and become informed by reading this crap. Still, 17 pages is a lot of wasted, repetitive crap. Maybe it's time to wind this one down. Thoughts?

No, because here's the point....ultimately it's a choice, a choice to choose self or choose to benefit another.  By choosing self, you leave the other in need.  It's why we persevere. 

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
14 minutes ago, WalterP said:

Perhaps so, Florduh.

Btw, I suspect that until you wrote the above message, Edgarcito was blissfully unaware of the useful role he's unwittingly played in the function of this forum.

So, thanks for doing that.  

Walter.

Very condescending of you sir....prayers for you.

• Super Moderator
11 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

No, because here's the point....ultimately it's a choice, a choice to choose self or choose to benefit another.  By choosing self, you leave the other in need.  It's why we persevere. 

Like god choosing his own glory and "plan" over the benefit of the ten-year-old sex slave.   Gotcha.

• Super Moderator
32 minutes ago, florduh said:

It is indeed pointless and frustrating as well. The only value of this dialog is that lurkers pop in and become informed by reading this crap. Still, 17 pages is a lot of wasted, repetitive crap. Maybe it's time to wind this one down. Thoughts?

Other threads have been created for him.  He can use them.

7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Other threads have been created for him.  He can use them.

428 comment for a slow website.....perhaps I'm an asset...

7 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Very condescending of you sir....prayers for you.

No condescension on my part, Edgarcito.

Instead, an accurate description of the function of 'authentic Christian believers' in this forum.  Without even knowing they are doing it, said believers help to drive others away from Christ.  They do it by putting their own faith above such human qualities as empathy and care for the suffering of others.  As Florduh pointed out, when the lurkers see how its impossible to evoke any empathy from believers like you, they come away better informed as to how destructive religious faith can be.  This helps them decide to finish with Jesus Christ for good.

That result is what you've been blissfully unaware of.

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

10 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Like god choosing his own glory and "plan" over the benefit of the ten-year-old sex slave.   Gotcha.

No response, Ed?  

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No response, Ed?  

Yes, the glory is you choosing Love over evil.  His as well I'm betting.

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Yes, the glory is you choosing Love over evil.  His as well I'm betting.

The point you keep ignoring is thay any one of us would rescue the ten-year-old sex slave, or prevent that evil from happening to her in the first place, if we had the power and opportunity.  That is choosing live over evil.  But god does nothing.  How can we choose to love such a monster and retain our humanity and compassion?

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The point you keep ignoring is thay any one of us would rescue the ten-year-old sex slave, or prevent that evil from happening to her in the first place, if we had the power and opportunity.  That is choosing live over evil.  But god does nothing.  How can we choose to love such a monster and retain our humanity and compassion?

Yes sir, I understand.  What I DON'T understand is within the Bible story, it seems to me that we are in a post-Jesus, Holy Spirit time.....until the story changes when Jesus returns. 

Why do you think God would act independently during this time other than through people via the Spirit?  That specifically is what I don't understand.  Each of you keep saying God doesn't act or won't or can't.  He's acting through PEOPLE, again, through the Spirit, imo.  In other words, did I miss something in the story?  Should God be acting independently, outside of humanity to move this child from harm?

Can you please address this specifically....thx.

• Super Moderator
11 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Should God be acting independently, outside of humanity to move this child from harm?

YES.  Otherwise he is either not all-loving, or not all-powerful, or not either.

• Super Moderator

Your god does nothing; which is, by omission, choosing evil over love.  How can such a god be worshipped?

27 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

YES.  Otherwise he is either not all-loving, or not all-powerful, or not either.

You did not address the question I asked.  Where, at this time, does the burden of acting reside, with respect to the story.

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

You did not address the question I asked.  Where, at this time, does the burden of acting reside, with respect to the story.

You're a liar.  I did address the question you asked.

Screenshot_20191029-113758.png

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

You're a liar.  I did address the question you asked.

Screenshot_20191029-113758.png

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the question.

This question:  Where, at this time, does the burden of acting reside, with respect to the story. 

• Super Moderator
54 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Why do you think God would act independently during this time other than through people via the Spirit?

Because he claims to be all-loving, and should be omniscient enough to realize people are selfish, lazy, stupid, and ultimately, ineffective.

55 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

In other words, did I miss something in the story? 

Apparently so.

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

This question:  Where, at this time, does the burden of acting reside, with respect to the story. 

The story is incomplete, according to the story.

53 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Yes sir, I understand.  What I DON'T understand is within the Bible story, it seems to me that we are in a post-Jesus, Holy Spirit time.....until the story changes when Jesus returns. 

Why do you think God would act independently during this time other than through people via the Spirit?  That specifically is what I don't understand.  Each of you keep saying God doesn't act or won't or can't.  He's acting through PEOPLE, again, through the Spirit, imo.  In other words, did I miss something in the story?  Should God be acting independently, outside of humanity to move this child from harm?

Can you please address this specifically....thx.

1.God is acting through people.

2.Child sex trafficking continues. 

3.Therefore.....

36 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Because he claims to be all-loving, and should be omniscient enough to realize people are selfish, lazy, stupid, and ultimately, ineffective.

Apparently so.

I understand now when Christians don't answer, the frustration.  

27 minutes ago, midniterider said:

1.God is acting through people.

2.Child sex trafficking continues. 

3.Therefore.....

So let's follow this logic....

1 God

2 People

3 Child trafficking

God to people to child trafficking......not God directly to child trafficking. 

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

So let's follow this logic....

1 God

2 People

3 Child trafficking

God to people to child trafficking......not God directly to child trafficking. 

This demonstrates that god's plan is, at best, ineffective; and he would have known it would be,  if he were omniscient.  It also demonstrates that god is not all-loving, as he could prevent it, knowing that people are not.

Again I am compelled to ask, why worship such a beast?

36 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

This demonstrates that god's plan is, at best, ineffective; and he would have known it would be,  if he were omniscient.  It also demonstrates that god is not all-loving, as he could prevent it, knowing that people are not.

Again I am compelled to ask, why worship such a beast?

No it's not....the plan involves understanding those called to His purpose....which appears to be love and service.....and even though those imperfect,  are perfected in the end.  You have no way of understanding whether the plan is effective or not as it hasn't concluded.  And you apparently refuse to place yourself, even for discussion purposes, in the plan's timeline, so not sure how to get you off these repeated lines you keep spewing.

• Super Moderator
31 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

the plan involves understanding those called to His purpose....

I suppose the ten-year-old sex slave just wasn't called to his purpose, then.  

Listen, "I didn't rape her; I just stood and watched" is not as good a defense as you seem to think, especially not for a god who claims to be all-loving.

21 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I suppose the ten-year-old sex slave just wasn't called to his purpose, then.  

Listen, "I didn't rape her; I just stood and watched" is not as good a defense as you seem to think, especially not for a god who claims to be all-loving.

The plan was to cull quitters...