Goodbye Jesus

DNA vs.....

Moonobserver

Mainline Christian apologists like to point to a lack of Semitic DNA markers in Native Americans as an argument against Mormonism, but have they thought about what else that means?

According to the Bible, the entire earth----presumably beginning with the Semitic peoples of the Middle East----was repopulated by Noah and his family after a great flood which took place less than five thousand years ago. The argument is that DNA research shows Native Americans are not descended from Semites. But if Noah was the father of the post-flood Semites and Native Americans aren't descended from Semites, then Native Americans aren't descended from Noah. So if DNA evidence refutes the book of Mormon, it also refutes the book of Genesis. And any other explanation mainline Christians came up with for why Native Americans lack Semitic DNA would derail their own argument against Mormonism.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

Mainline Christian apologists like to point to a lack of Semitic DNA markers in Native Americans as an argument against Mormonism, but have they thought about what else that means?

According to the Bible, the entire earth----presumably beginning with the Semitic peoples of the Middle East----was repopulated by Noah and his family after a great flood which took place less than five thousand years ago. The argument is that DNA research shows Native Americans are not descended from Semites. But if Noah was the father of the post-flood Semites and Native Americans aren't descended from Semites, then Native Americans aren't descended from Noah. So if DNA evidence refutes the book of Mormon, it also refutes the book of Genesis. And any other explanation mainline Christians came up with for why Native Americans lack Semitic DNA would derail their own argument against Mormonism.

Hey, good point!

On 10/10/2019 at 9:18 PM, Moonobserver said:

According to the Bible, the entire earth----presumably beginning with the Semitic peoples of the Middle East----was repopulated by Noah and his family after a great flood which took place less than five thousand years ago.

Since the bow set in the cloud refers unto the the arch, or curvature of the earth's atmosphere, being that firmament of gas which the LORD covered the earth with like a garment as written of in the book of Job, 

Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

then why do you believe the rainbow was given as a sign for you to see that the waters should never again cover the all the land surface, because people like Dawkins says it was? Just asking....

2 hours ago, Justus said:

Since the bow set in the cloud refers unto the the arch, or curvature of the earth's atmosphere, being that firmament of gas which the LORD covered the earth with like a garment as written of in the book of Job, 

Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

then why do you believe the rainbow was given as a sign for you to see that the waters should never again cover the all the land surface, because people like Dawkins says it was? Just asking....

I'm sorry----I've been trying, but I can't figure out what this word salad is supposed to mean.

2 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

I'm sorry----I've been trying, but I can't figure out what this word salad is supposed to mean.

Probably means render unto Caesar that salad which is Caesar's salad and toss your own salad or whoever's salad you want.    😏  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Justus said:

Probably means render unto Caesar that salad which is Caesar's salad and toss your own salad or whoever's salad you want.    😏  

Uhh......okay, then.

Honestly, I can't figure out if these replies are supposed to be a rebuttal or a joke. They look like gibberish to me. Is that intentional?

4 minutes ago, Moonobserver said:

Uhh......okay, then.

Honestly, I can't figure out if these replies are supposed to be a rebuttal or a joke. They look like gibberish to me. Is that intentional?

Can you answer a simple question, do you believe that the Bible says the rainbow was given as a sign to man that God wouldn't ever kill all flesh on earth with a flood?

Tell that to the 230,000 people killed from the Indian Ocean tsunami on December 25, 2014.

44 minutes ago, Justus said:

Can you answer a simple question, do you believe that the Bible says the rainbow was given as a sign to man that God wouldn't ever kill all flesh on earth with a flood?

Yes, I believe that the Bible *says* that, but that doesn't mean it's really why rainbows appear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

Yes, I believe that the Bible *says* that, but that doesn't mean it's really why rainbows appear.

Thanks for the honest answer.   

Genesis 9:8-16 New International Version (NIV)

8 Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: 9 “I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10 and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”

12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

It's a sign that god put in the clouds to as a reminder to himself (for some stupid reason).  It does amount to a reminder to everyone involved in this particular covenant then.  So god and mankind (and all animals that were on the ark).  It was an attempt to explain why rainbows exist (and by extension why the whole world didn't flood when it rained).

mwc