Goodbye Jesus

When did you hear about YEC?

Wertbag

I was trying to remember when I first heard about the young earth theory, and I think it must have only been when I stumbled upon such discussions on YouTube. None of my friends or family ever promoted the idea, other than one of my wife's uncles sending us a Hovind DVD but even that would have only been in the last 7-8 years. 

Perhaps its just big in the US and not so much anywhere else? The Catholic Church certainly preaches an old earth... 

I heard it in my youth (1950s) when a visiting preacher came to our congregation.  My parents didn't buy into it, but my brother, who later became a religious fanatic decided in later years that it might be true.  He says God could have made the earth to LOOK like it was billions of years old.  He also believes in numerous conspiracy theories. 

Main stream churches do not teach it in the USA.

10,000 years is young?🤨

I was brought up with it, church and family - it was simply the truth and what the bible teaches, no question about it. And it was supported by one Bishop Usher.

So that's over 70 years ago.

1 hour ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

10,000 years is young?🤨

Compared to an old earth that is billions of years old, certainly. 

Which brand of church did you attend that taught those ideas? 

I'm really not sure.

Probably when I went to university and started looking at all kinds of crazy websites. Not the best thing to consider being real when you're doing a science degree.

I did for a short while fully believe it after joining the Pentecostal church I attended post-uni. as there were a few people there who took that position, but not all. Don't think it lasted long, but I was still thinking about the matter before I finally decided (with some difficulty) the whole religion was nonsense not just one or two particular theological positions.

I was raised in a literal Bible believing environment, so I was indoctrinated with belief in a 6-day creation just a few thousand years ago from my earliest memories. I don't think they used the term Young Earth Creationism, though. I came across that pseudoscience movement in my late teens or early twenties (1990s) and swallowed it hook, line & sinker, but of course it was simply giving the appearance of scientific support for what I already believed. 

In my day it was called “scientific creationism.”  I remember asking, if we can see galaxies that are millions of light-years away, doesn’t that mean that the universe must be millions of years old for the light to have traveled that far?  And never getting a real answer.

Of course, the real answer is that the universe was created just now, with all its history in place, and memories in our heads.

• Thanks 1

I first heard about it as a teenager when someone told me about the Bishop Usher calculations which resulted in a claim that Adam and Eve were created in October of 4004 BC.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, Wertbag said:

Compared to an old earth that is billions of years old, certainly. 

Which brand of church did you attend that taught those ideas? 

It was a joke!

I attended a fundamentalist 'free' church. That was no joke!

• Super Moderator

6pm

On 10/10/2019 at 11:52 PM, nontheistpilgrim said:

10,000 years is young?🤨

I was brought up with it, church and family - it was simply the truth and what the bible teaches, no question about it. And it was supported by one Bishop Usher.

So that's over 70 years ago.

I believe Ussher was invoked by William Jennings Bryan in the Scopes Monkey Trial, where Clarence Darrow made a monkey out of Bryan.

I was raised to be a YEC. It took an embarrassingly long time for me to move on. On the plus side,  though,  the realization that that part was bull led me to question what other parts might also be,  and here we are. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, Wertbag said:

I was trying to remember when I first heard about the young earth theory, and I think it must have only been when I stumbled upon such discussions on YouTube. None of my friends or family ever promoted the idea, other than one of my wife's uncles sending us a Hovind DVD but even that would have only been in the last 7-8 years. 

Perhaps its just big in the US and not so much anywhere else? The Catholic Church certainly preaches an old earth... 

Can't remember the exact age that I first thought "oh yes the earth is 6,000 years old" - but this was taught as fact from birth, so for me I've heard about it since birth. Like D, once the YEC failures starting raising doubts I looked into other areas that I'd once considered fact and discovered it wasn't so.

• Like 1

I remember hearing about it in high school at David Lipscomb in the late 1970s. Never bought into it myself, though. 

yep, taught from birth in fundie Southern Baptist church. Took four decades to see the light.

I was taught this in school in the late 70s/early 80s.  It was when I switched over to xian school (it was First Baptist in case you're wondering).  Normally, I attended Mo. Syn. Lutheran and I don't recall them pushing anything but the Baptists sure did especially once we switched principals who was way into all this.  They could teach pretty much whatever they wanted in science, or should I say "science," so they tended to gloss actual theories and replace them with their own.  I very much bought into YEC.  No dinos (per se) in that they lived along with humans (so whenever I went to a museum and saw a dino I'd just dismiss it as fraud since "those" dinos were fake).  The list goes on.  They gave me a shit science education to be sure (at least when it came to natural history and the like).

mwc