Jump to content
Christopherhays

Trump wants Bible taught in schools!

Recommended Posts


 

Trump Tweet- "Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!” 

I’m not sure what “starting to make a turn back” means, but as I understand it, Trump is supporting this push to start bible classes in schools. What are your thoughts? Should public schools offer bible classes? 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     That's an old tweet, ancient in Trump time, but if such classes help to biblically educate everyone to the same level of our stable genius then I'm all for it. 😉

 

          mwc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm somewhat of the opinion that teaching the bible and "letting god back in school" could potentially backfire on those who are pushing for it.  To begin with, studying the bible is the quickest way to become an atheist; so teaching it in schools is likely to turn away a lot of kids who may have otherwise been indifferent toward religion.  Secondly, "where two or three are gathered in my name," there is sure to be an argument over correct interpretation, theology, or translation, etc.  Imagine a bible class filled with kids form half a dozen different denominations.

 

I say let 'em do it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this will open the doors, under the US constitution as I understand it, for other religions to have their 'bibles' taught in school. Not only would you have inter-Christian conflicts, you'd have inter-religion conflicts. This might open children's eyes to the futility of religion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, Trump doesn't want this. He thinks his evangelical base wants it. Personally, he obviously doesn't know or care anything about the book in question.

 

I used to think that all the major religions should be taught but it seems that there are now too many radically different versions of each religion. There are thousands of Christian beliefs alone. Catholic schools teach Catholicism, not the Bible. There are as many religions as there are people. Perhaps critical thinking courses would be more useful, though I don't see that ever happening in this country.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Also, this will open the doors, under the US constitution as I understand it, for other religions to have their 'bibles' taught in school. Not only would you have inter-Christian conflicts, you'd have inter-religion conflicts. This might open children's eyes to the futility of religion.

 

You're right. Sadly, it could also lead to violence. Ya know how people get about their religions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Christopherhays said:


 

Trump Tweet- "Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!” 

I’m not sure what “starting to make a turn back” means, but as I understand it, Trump is supporting this push to start bible classes in schools. What are your thoughts? Should public schools offer bible classes? 


 

 

I wonder what Trump's favorite verse is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 5:39 AM, florduh said:

Just to be clear, Trump doesn't want this. He thinks his evangelical base wants it. Personally, he obviously doesn't know or care anything about the book in question.

 

I used to think that all the major religions should be taught but it seems that there are now too many radically different versions of each religion. There are thousands of Christian beliefs alone. Catholic schools teach Catholicism, not the Bible. There are as many religions as there are people. Perhaps critical thinking courses would be more useful, though I don't see that ever happening in this country.

 

I think "White Conservative Jesus and His AR-15" would be a nice class for kids.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, midniterider said:

 

I wonder what Trump's favorite verse is. 

     We know he like Two Corinthians because he mentioned it.

 

     And, I know it's not a specific verse, but I think he probably loves the story of Lot.  What's not for him to love about your wife turning to salt and then having your daughter(s) bang you?  Sounds like his personal wet dream.

 

          mwc

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, Trump says a lot of things. He also offered free Green Cards to my fellow Hindus. He's saying what he thinks evangelicals want to hear. And I'm all for it, because letting kids learn about the Bible from a secular perspective would help them to abandon Christianity in greater numbers.

 

As long as Trump keeps Muslims out of America, I'm happy to ignore his idiocies and let him keep being himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 7:44 AM, mwc said:

    I think he probably loves the story of Lot.  What's not for him to love about your wife turning to salt and then having your daughter(s) bang you?  Sounds like his personal wet dream.

 

 

ouch!  And spot on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well an introduction to the Bible should be a cornerstone of any humanities discussion imho. In the west, understanding history philosophy, politics, even linguistics and spread of regional and racial differences is impossible to understand without it. Public speaking, translation, interpretation, the arts, some practices of religious psychotherapy like confession, huge amounts of the arts, etc. I thoroughly regret not studying it more in highschool in university as well. I mean if I lived in Egypt I would study Islam and the Koran regardless of my beliefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume there would be many teachers who would preach it rather than teach it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, florduh said:

I assume there would be many teachers who would preach it rather than teach it.

 

Yes - it would be a bit like giving a drug addict the responsibility of teaching children how to be responsible with drugs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

Yes - it would be a bit like giving a drug addict the responsibility of teaching children how to be responsible with drugs.

Well I studied religion in school for 12 years, it was compulsory in Romania until recently. With priests even. Sadly, they did not even preach well, let alone teach biblical history and interpretation. However most of them were really nice while quite quirqy individuals. But yeah teachers would be a problem . As in all other areas of life actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, florduh said:

I assume there would be many teachers who would preach it rather than teach it.

 

This is already a concern, since Christian's have their fair share of representation in the classroom. Public school Bible classes would allow secular teachers to present the Bible from a non-Christian perspective. I doubt anyone whose first exposure to the Bible is public school is in any danger of becoming a Christian simply because they read the Bible in school. On the other hand, public school Bible class poses a serious threat to the faith of children who are learning the Bible only in church. I say we use the evangelical clamor for Bible in school as an opportunity to teach Christian children the truth about their allegedly sacred text.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.