Sign in to follow this  
WWOAC

I'm looking for help and advice

On 11/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, WWOAC said:

What if we're all wrong, what am I supposed to say to God on judgement day? 

Welcome to ex-c WWOAC. So glad you found us! To answer you question, ''did anyone have anxiety''? Oh yes.  This is the site that helped me out of the muck.They pretty much saved my sanity!

I hate to keep posting my own testimonial but sometimes it's just easier for people and newcomers to see what others have gone through when they arrived here. This was almost 10 years ago.

So here is my, ''Please Forgive Me'' letter to god. I want it to go in my urn when I die because if there is a loving christian god, I want him to read it and maybe have mercy on me. Lol 😉 Big (hug) honey. Go easy on yourself. Time will show you. Keep reading and keep posting.

• Like 2

Yang to your yin:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WWOAC said:

What are some thoughts on biblical prophecies that have supposedly been fulfilled and are supposedly still being fulfilled today?

Just because A precedes B does not mean that A causes B. Our neighbors have chickens. Every morning, without fail, the rooster starts to crow yet it is completely dark. After a while, the sun comes up. But the rooster's crow is not what causes the sun to come up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TEG said:

I can’t help noticing that at least 4 of us on this thread are ex-church of christ.  Are we well-represented here because it is a particularly toxic church?

Yes! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses, them along with some more research have helped to ease my mind for the moment although I may have to get on medication at some point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MOHO said:

Planning on joining the Freedom from Religion folks when I'm done with the book.

Good people.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, WWOAC said:

First, I just want to apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to put my post because I'm not sure where exactly to go. I've been doing a lot of studying and thinking for a long time and I'm certain based on my research that I had or still have a lot of damage from the religion I was brought up in. I just don't know what to do and I feel lost and that's why I came here because this is the only place I have to go that I'm aware of at the moment. I really don't know what to say or even where to begin. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have for me and any help is greatly appreciated. 

I can recommend 2 YouTube channels that are very informative and interesting to watch that point out biblical errors and also how religion indoctrinates believers.

Theramintrees & nonstampcollector  

• Like 1

Geezer, I may have told you before, but if I didn't,  I'll say it again.  I like your postscript, John 8: 32. 👍

• Like 1

Have any of you heard the claims that the Romans invented Christianity? If so, what are your thoughts? 

Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher and miracle worker whose goal was to reform judaism and the nation.  (“I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”)  Peter’s sermons in the book of Acts describe him as a man who was elevated to the right hand of god after his resurrection.  As the gospels were written, he became the son of god at his baptism (Mark), then at his virgin birth (Matthew and Luke), then he became a pre-existent creator (John, and some references in the epistles).  It was not clear to the early church whether or not christianity was something new, or just a super-judaism that still required circumcision etc.  It was the apostle Paul who turned it into a universal religion, free of the old testament law.  Christians were persecuted by the Romans for rejecting the Roman gods until Constantine altered the course of history by adopting the cross as his battle emblem; acceptance of the christian religion followed.  Then, as the state religion, Constantine wanted uniformity and standards, hence the first council of Nicaea, and all the subsequent councils that invented things like the trinity, and picked the books that became the official bible.  So in a sense, the Romans invented what most people today call christianity.  It has come a long way from what christ taught.  Believers call it “progressive revelation”; I call it “making it up as you go along.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, Weezer said:

My sister just gave me a book copyrighted in 2006 named, "FIGHTING WORDS:  A tool kit for combating the religious right", by Robin Morgan. I haven't finished it, but had also read Thomas Jefferson's views on Christianity and government, and to me it is so clear that the early father's were very careful to keep church and state separated.  But it was a fight to do so.

I was very lucky that my parents and grandparents were for separation.  HA!  Being members of the CofC, and my mother a school teacher, they fought against the Baptist coming in and teaching Bible lessons at the one room school where she taught.  That was a hot issue back in the day.

Yeah, the CofC is very lucky that the government is basically secular in nature. (Well, maybe not as much nowadays, with the radical right-wing Republicans yammerin' for more churchiness in government.) Because it is a very tiny organization compare to the Baptists and Catholics. Be careful what you wish for!

On 11/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Weezer said:

Being members of the CofC, and my mother a school teacher, they fought against the Baptist coming in and teaching Bible lessons at the one room school where she taught.  That was a hot issue back in the day.

Are you sure it wasn’t because of the baptists’ totally wrong view of baptism?  🙃

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, WWOAC said:

Have any of you heard the claims that the Romans invented Christianity? If so, what are your thoughts? 

Are you referring to the book, “Caesar’s Messiah”? The originator of that theory isn’t a biblical scholar, and has no training in religious studies. His book and “research” has been widely debunked by actual biblical scholars as nonsense. 

I read the book. Some of his theories are entertaining, and a few seem somewhat plausible, but most of his theories are confusing, silly, and downright ridiculous. According to actual religious scholars the answer to your question is no. The Romans did not invent Jesus or Christianity. 

Mark is accepted as the original Gospel. The author appears to be Jewish and was apparently highly educated but his identity is unknown. The actual authors of all the four Gospels are anonymous. And it’s also doubtful that Paul was a real person.

What is known is that no one named Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John wrote a single word of the gospels that bears their name. The Catholic Church assigned those names to the four most popular versions of the gospel, of the fifty or so versions that existed at that time.They did that to give the impressions the authors of those gospels were eyewitnesses to the events they wrote about.

There are no known witnesses to anything written in any of the gospels. That is probably because the original gospel was a fictional story and the others were edited rewrites of the original. That becomes obvious when the four gospels are read side by side and line by line. It becomes apparent those are four different stories. Each author appears to hav e a reason, or agenda, for writing their gospel story.

The bottom line is this. The Bible simply isn’t true. It’s a collection of mythical stories with fictional characters and that includes Jesus.

9 hours ago, TEG said:

Are you sure it wasn’t because of the baptists’ totally wrong view of baptism?  🙃

👍 You got that right! 

But actually they realized that if one group got to express their views, they would have to open it up to everybody.  And they dang sure didn't want the Catholics coming in.

13 hours ago, WWOAC said:

In a nut shell, I believe they highly influnced what christianity is today.  If Jesus actually existed, it probably is very little like what he had in mind.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, Geezer said:

Theramintrees & nonstampcollector

Yes, yes, and yesss.

So what would be some ideas on how to unite a civilization of millions of people to where they can peacefully coexist and work together without some kind of a god, whether that god be some kind of a dictator or an imaginary man made one? I'm having a hard time figuring this out because it seems like every great civilization had some kind of god as their primary cause that for the most part unified everyone.

4 hours ago, WWOAC said:

So what would be some ideas on how to unite a civilization of millions of people to where they can peacefully coexist and work together without some kind of a god, whether that god be some kind of a dictator or an imaginary man made one? I'm having a hard time figuring this out because it seems like every great civilization had some kind of god as their primary cause that for the most part unified everyone.

I would disagree that having gods united populations and created coexistence among diverse groups. In fact it was the god idea that historically caused the most division and warfare.

• Like 1

Well, although not a complete, independent civilization of millions, the Scandinavian countries, Sweden and Denmark in particular, are among the least religious countries in the world, and they seem to have minimal problems of the type that plague some of the most religious countries.1 This study shows Sweden coming second after China, followed by the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom.

Another study again shows China as the least religious countrywith Japan coming second. China is certainly a huge civilization with world-wide impact.

It could be argued that China's government has repressed religion, but Japan and Scandinavia remain as examples where free choice exists and they have extremely low religious belief.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/least-religious-countries-in-the-world.html

2 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-religious-countries-in-the-world/

10 hours ago, WWOAC said:

TRUMP??   (just kidding)

On 11/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, WWOAC said:

I'm just not sure what to believe anymore.        

When Descartes got to that point, he went all the way back to the basic foundation: "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am) and went from there. It sounds to me like that's the point you've reached. I believe that he worked back out to a fairly traditional belief, but that doesn't mean that you have to.

The word "religion" is thrown around rather loosely, but there's a significant distinction to be made between theological belief and *organized* religion. The main thing, I think, is to avoid sliding into a position of dogmatic certitude on ANYTHING whatsoever.

And one thing you might consider is looking for a good psychotherapist who can help guide you through issues.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, WWOAC said:

I'm just not sure what to believe anymore.        

When Descartes got to that point, he went all the way back to the basic foundation: "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am) and went from there. It sounds to me like that's the point you've reached. I believe that he worked back out to a fairly traditional belief, but that doesn't mean that you have to.

The word "religion" is thrown around rather loosely, but there's a significant distinction to be made between theological belief and *organized* religion. The main thing, I think, is to avoid sliding into a position of dogmatic certitude on ANYTHING whatsoever.

And one thing you might consider is looking for a good psychotherapist who can help guide you through issues.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:36 PM, florduh said:

I would disagree that having gods united populations and created coexistence among diverse groups. In fact it was the god idea that historically caused the most division and warfare.

At the same time, the Soviet Union wasn't exactly what you could call a shining utopia.....