Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgarcito

Evidence Types

What bugs me is that guy that sometimes posts as Redneck Professor....then later on posts as Logical Fallacy. :)

4 minutes ago, florduh said:

I thought it was a good stunt. What's the harm?

Agree. I find it kinda funny. Though I think I might have berated him or someone else while he was around about how Ironhorse and End3 at least had sticking power - not knowing that End3 was watching and reading.

1 minute ago, midniterider said:

What bugs me is that guy that sometimes posts as Redneck Professor....then later on posts as Logical Fallacy. :)

Bawhaha - snap! Notice how I got both accounts to be mods? A testament to my awesomeness. You'll also note the completely different post behaviour - maintaining different characters for posting is very difficult, but I pulled it off. :D 

9 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Took you long enough...lol

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

If you're looking for personality, you're in luck; because I have several of them. 

I FOUND IT. I knew I had this somewhere - kind sums up the situation nicely.

@Edgarcito perhaps you could give it a crack?

Evidence I require is.jpg

2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I FOUND IT. I knew I had this somewhere - kind sums up the situation nicely.

@Edgarcito perhaps you could give it a crack?

Evidence I require is.jpg

End3cito "does science 14 hours a day, in 3 different labs," if I remember correctly.   This should be a cinch for him.

Let's start here....  evidence would unique to the individual in that each has a different experience. 

First question is.....do we think the Christian God provides equal evidence for belief?

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

Let's start here....  evidence would unique to the individual in that each has a different experience. 

First question is.....do we think the Christian God provides equal evidence for belief?

No. Let's not start there, Endgarcito3.

You opened this thread with this... Per our recent conversations.....the question in my mind is what types of evidence will a non-believer accept? 

Logical Fallacy has just given you his terms.

But you want to change them by framing the discussion to align with your beliefs about uniqueness and individuality.

That's not within his terms.

Even if you believe that every person has a unique and individual experience of reality, that's your belief and not his.

Use his terms or quit, those are the options.

3 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

If , in my personal experience,  I see the flying spaghetti monster everywhere,  does he really exist? 

Are people who society labels 'crazy' simply experiencing reality in their own unique way? 

It is kinda sad that Christian's have to talk about 'evidence' of their Jesus. Why do you settle for such a minuscule experience of God? Why do you worship something that is so lacking that you have to manufacture it in your imagination?

If  somebody's experience about the Flying Spaghetti Monster is similar to how you experience Jesus Christ then does the Flying Spaghetti Monster exist? If the criteria for belief in Jesus is the same criteria for belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster then we have to say that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is just as real as Jesus.

do we think the Christian God provides equal evidence for belief?

If by "equal evidence", you mean zero evidence at all, then, yes, our ten-year-old sex slave has the same amount of evidence as you.

With that said, I'm with Walt on this one.  You asked us what would non-believers consider evidence.  We have provided our answers.  Thus the purpose of this thread has been satisfied.

1 minute ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

If by "equal evidence", you mean zero evidence at all, then, yes, our ten-year-old sex slave has the same amount of evidence as you.

With that said, I'm with Walt on this one.  You asked us what would non-believers consider evidence.  We have provided our answers.  Thus the purpose of this thread has been satisfied.

To which I might add, Logical Fallacy has just provided a very clear definition of what he considers to be evidence.

It's now up to Endgarcito3 to agree to present his evidence, exactly and specifically within LF's terms.

Why?  Because that's how he set up this thread.  It's not about his definitions of evidence, it's about the non-believers definitions of acceptable evidence.

It's now up to E3 to declare if he can or can't present any evidence within the remit set down by LogicalFallacy.

Well?

Well, Ed. You did ask. It seems our definition of evidence is a bit more stringent than yours. I think you already know where this is going. 🏴‍☠️

22 minutes ago, florduh said:

Well, Ed. You did ask. It seems our definition of evidence is a bit more stringent than yours. I think you already know where this is going. 🏴‍☠️

I think we do....not sure how to get around the impasse. 

1 hour ago, WalterP said:

To which I might add, Logical Fallacy has just provided a very clear definition of what he considers to be evidence.

It's now up to Endgarcito3 to agree to present his evidence, exactly and specifically within LF's terms.

Why?  Because that's how he set up this thread.  It's not about his definitions of evidence, it's about the non-believers definitions of acceptable evidence.

It's now up to E3 to declare if he can or can't present any evidence within the remit set down by LogicalFallacy.

Well?

I'm willing to try a new avenue Walter....spent years arguing the norm....  We can start with LF's #2, empirically testable..... do I need an promulgated analytical method  or my friend Joe Wille's testament.

33 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I'm willing to try a new avenue Walter....spent years arguing the norm....  We can start with LF's #2, empirically testable..... do I need an promulgated analytical method  or my friend Joe Wille's testament.

Is your friends Joe's testament verifiable? Can I speak to him and question him?

I have a dragon in my back yard.

I take it you don't believe me? (I'm offended! :P ) Why don't you believe me? What would I have to produce for you to believe me?

(And note, I'm not even talking about something that is immaterial, spaceless, and beyond comprehension!)

Also Ed - you are supposed to start at #1 - define your God and its characteristics.

3 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Is your friends Joe's testament verifiable? Can I speak to him and question him?

I have a dragon in my back yard.

I take it you don't believe me? (I'm offended! :P ) Why don't you believe me? What would I have to produce for you to believe me?

(And note, I'm not even talking about something that is immaterial, spaceless, and beyond comprehension!)

Also Ed - you are supposed to start at #1 - define your God and its characteristics.

Joe Willie's brother Jay was there....it's verifiable.  They are both cops....good guys.  They are in high agreement and damn certain.....lol.  That seemingly settles that.

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

Joe Willie's brother Jay was there....it's verifiable.  They are both cops....good guys.  They are in high agreement and damn certain.....lol.  That seemingly settles that.

Uh huh.... so these two guys you've never met, but are "good guys" are very certain that a holy spook created life in a virgin that then died and resurrected? After all that's what we are talking about isn't it?

People are in high agreement and certain all the time and very wrong.

But Ed you know this. I claim I have a cat, no one bats an eyelid. I'm a trustworthy honest guy (If I might say so myself). I claim I have a dragon and for some reason my trustworthiness disappears.

If I'm right you are referring to the gospels as Joe Wille's testament? Am I on the right track there?

I think we do....not sure how to get around the impasse. 

Here's the deal...... God the Great and Powerful is mysterious, invisible and undetectable. Clearly such a concept cannot be proven to exist, neither can anyone prove it doesn't exist. The religion was set up by the church early on so that Pistis was the defining doctrine and Gnosis was out. Wise decision for them in my opinion. This way proof or knowledge of the mysterious deity is never needed since the belief necessarily rests totally on faith. Of course faith is the opposite of knowledge and they are mutually exclusive. If you have knowledge of something you don't need faith, and to have faith there can be no knowledge. Blind faith is a powerful tool and many derive strength from it. It is also powerful in that it is typically self sustaining in that the faithful feel even holier when they reject contrary evidence and thus dig in even deeper rather than examine their belief.

Why do Christians believe in Jesus? Why don't Christians believe in dragons? Why don't Christians believe in those Flying Spaghetti Monster? Why don't Christians believe in Bigfoot?

Why do Christians believe in Jesus? Why don't Christians believe in dragons? Why don't Christians believe in those Flying Spaghetti Monster? Why don't Christians believe in Bigfoot?

It's more personal preference than evidence , imo. Just think if a dragon had been crucified instead of a human. Christianity would be so hilariously weirder. 

4 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Those other characters aren't in the Bible stories. Christians should, however, believe in unicorns.

9 minutes ago, florduh said:

Those other characters aren't in the Bible stories. Christians should, however, believe in unicorns.

Excuse me - dragons are mentioned in the bible all the time!

It's not up to me, Endgarcito3.

LogicalFallacy set down the conditions and it's up you to toe his line, not mine.

If it was my call I'd say that both of you should put Joe, Jay and the dragon on hold until you've both dealt with # 1.

But, this is his call and if he wants to use up time discussing what's in his back yard, that's up to him.

Thank you.

Walter.