Goodbye Jesus

Holiday Angst Thread

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

A thread to share all your holiday angst, funny stories, random thoughts, family drama, or favorite memories...

25591903_10215045189741422_6319724845450215066_n.jpg

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Well, we just got back from turkey at our daughter-in-law's. Mrs. Older had made a pumpkin pie for the occasion. And it should be noted that Mrs. Older's pies are legendary. Grandson set the pie on the stove. We all went out to the art studio behind the house to see what was happening out there and when we returned we discovered that one of D.I.L.'s five large dogs had jumped up and eaten the pie.

Everyone laughed and I managed to smile and hide my disgust. DIL's five dogs are absolutely untrained and they are all over everything and come up to the table when you are eating. DIL did put them in the other room for dinner but they were around the table while we nibbled on the pecan pie and the store-bought, low quality, substitute pumpkin that the other grandma rushed out to buy. DIL yells at the dogs and they just ignore her. The dogs know to stay away from me but they are nevertheless often under foot (as much as a 50-75 lb. dog can be "under foot") and sprawl all over the livingroom furniture such that there is no place to sit. We tolerate all this because of the grandkids, and fortunately there are no political or religious problems between us, but I sure hate those fucking dogs.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, older said:

Well, we just got back from turkey at our daughter-in-law's. Mrs. Older had made a pumpkin pie for the occasion. And it should be noted that Mrs. Older's pies are legendary. Grandson set the pie on the stove. We all went out to the art studio behind the house to see what was happening out there and when we returned we discovered that one of D.I.L.'s five large dogs had jumped up and eaten the pie.

Everyone laughed and I managed to smile and hide my disgust. DIL's five dogs are absolutely untrained and they are all over everything and come up to the table when you are eating. DIL did put them in the other room for dinner but they were around the table while we nibbled on the pecan pie and the store-bought, low quality, substitute pumpkin that the other grandma rushed out to buy. DIL yells at the dogs and they just ignore her. The dogs know to stay away from me but they are nevertheless often under foot (as much as a 50-75 lb. dog can be "under foot") and sprawl all over the livingroom furniture such that there is no place to sit. We tolerate all this because of the grandkids, and fortunately there are no political or religious problems between us, but I sure hate those fucking dogs.

Thanks for the good laugh this morning older! 🤣 

Glad you had a relatively good time!!  

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
44 minutes ago, Margee said:

Thanks for the good laugh this morning older! 🤣 

Glad you had a relatively good time!!  

Time with family is always relative-ly good.  🙄

• Haha 3

So far we've avoided family and friends, had a lazy Thanksgiving (though I'm not actually thanking Spiderman for anything), and had a nice impromptu meal at a nice restaurant that let us in without a reservation last night. Prof, your description reminds me of my sister-in-law's house (10+ "rescue" cats and a golden Lab inside, piles of moldy clothing, scraps of old food that the kids leave lying around, actual animal shit, assorted scents...) We've tried cleaning a bit when we go there. Now we just don't go there. Their progeny have spread to the grandma's house and the other grandpa's house, both of which are sliding into disrepair and stench. They are like a tornado of entropy. 

Our fundy Pentecostal friends had invited us to dinner but it was going to be really awkward, so we didn't go. 

Now on to Xmas (celebration of the X-Men)...

• Like 1

Roads were shitty so we got to avoid meeting my son's gf's family and having an awkward, uncomfortable T day. Yayyyyyy! 

• Like 1

Wow!

No dogs. No cats. No mold.

Just extra pious stepson saying grace and over-the-top fundy wife saying "Yes Jesus!" to every word.

Granddaughter made a peanut butter chocolate pie that was not destroyed by anything except my fork.

No talk of religion. We've been there and they know they cannot refute anything I say w/out resorting to "You can't deny god!" "You can't deny Jesus!"

You know...shit like that.

"I can and I will unless you can prove the existence of either."

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

78208517_2963857710292272_7821377214020059136_n.jpg

• Haha 4

There are some people who are looking for a decent, respectful, humanitarian path out of christianity who will be turned off by the above posts.  If those had been some of the first posts I saw when first coming here, I likely would not have returned.

• Super Moderator
37 minutes ago, Weezer said:

There are some people who are looking for a decent, respectful, humanitarian path out of christianity who will be turned off by the above posts.  If those had been some of the first posts I saw when first coming here, I likely would not have returned.

There are others who need the release that comes with letting the bottled up emotions out, even if only in an anonymous forum.  So who should we cater to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

There are others who need the release that comes with letting the bottled up emotions out, even if only in an anonymous forum.  So who should we cater to?

Agreed and fully understood. I'm glad the aforementioned people have a place to vent to their fellow ex-Christians. We are the only ones who can understand their perspective, after all.

That said, being in the minority who wasn't raised as a Christian, this Thanksgiving was a "blessing" as well as a reminder of how thankful I am to have left Christianity nine years ago. I spent this Thanksgiving as a Hindu, spending time with my Hindu family, bringing along my arranged-married Hindu wife, eating a Hindu-friendly vegetarian meal with no meat whatsoever, and not making my family feel awkward by paying any homage to Jesus. I feel awful that in years past, the holiday tension was entirely of my own making, and that is one tradition I am happy to have abandoned for many years now.

Also my entire family supports Trump, so there was none of the political drama I keep hearing about. God bless America and God damn Jesus. :)

Here in middle earth no one seems to know Thanks giving has occurred, its one Americanism that never took off...  Black Friday on the other hand is rammed down your throat by every store, website, advert and brochure for weeks leading up to it.  It has no meaning to us other than being the day Americans riot over cheap electronics, and yet our retailers are pushing hard to get some of that sweet sweet consumer dollars.  I can't remember it being so big in past years, but seems to be a fixture now.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I see your point and am glad it was in the Rants and Replies section.  But there are ways to vent anger without being disrespectful to others.  

My situation may have been different from some others.  Mine was such that I never felt "abused" by anyone in the christian scene, at least on purpose.  Even though some of it was whacky stuff, I always considered they thought they were doing me a favor by trying to "save my soul."   I understand how they came to be how they are, and actually feel sorry for them. 

Also, consider that being disrespectful to them simple reinforces the belief they already have of us, as being depraved or warped human beings.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

There is a difference between disrespecting a person versus disrespecting a belief.  In my view, everyone deserves to be treated with the basic dignity common to all humanity, irrespective of their beliefs.  The beliefs, however, are a different story.  If they are ridiculous, they should be treated as such.  The "war on christmas", as an example, is not only completely ridiculous, it is also very exclusionist in nature (itself disrespecting the beliefs, traditions, cultures of others).  It's a spade, @Weezer; let's call it one.

Moreover, this time of year is often stressful for many people without beliefs even being considered.  Holiday shopping, family get-togethers, office parties... being the loneliest time of the year, when the highest number of suicides takes place.  Here is a safe place for people to vent.  Let them do so.

Edited.

• Like 3

Received an invitation to the annual xman office party.

Replied DECLINE for reason that I do not wish to participate in religious events.

Hope there's no fallout.

• Super Moderator

Not even looking forward to christmas, beyond giving gifts to my boys.  Thanksgiving was completely miserable with my mom storming around the house creating unnecessary tension and looking for excuses to get angry and hate on people.  I caught her several times whispering poison into Redneck Jr.'s ear about the new Ms. Professor and Professor Jr.  Had a right royal bowdy-how over it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MOHO said:

Replied DECLINE for reason that I do not wish to participate in religious events.

Hope there's no fallout.

Snubbing your employer's religious Christmas party? That is a rather courageous act. You have my respect, I don't think I would do this. I suppose I'm just lucky that pretty much everyone in my office is an atheist.

• Like 1

I went fishing for a week. I caught no fish.

The end.

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I went fishing for a week. I caught no fish.

The end.

I got so hungry on a fishing expedition years ago that I ended up grilling the shrimp I was supposed to be using for bait.  That was the last time I planned to camp out and live on what I caught.

• Haha 2

The owner of the salon I work at now is very capital C Christian, and while this doesn't normally bleed over into the salon itself she's really hammering in the christmas stuff. Including having our front desk phone greeting being "Merry Christmas at [Salon Name]". Thankful for one of my more sane coworkers who says happy holidays instead but it's just grating to hear every day. 

Also I'm sick of christmas music because I'm a grinch I guess.

• Super Moderator
11 hours ago, knightcore said:

Also I'm sick of christmas music because I'm a grinch I guess

Ugh.  Same here.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 11:01 PM, MOHO said:

Hope there's no fallout.

The office parties in my establishment have no religious overtone.  I still decline, and have done so for years.  I work with these people - why on earth would I want to see them outside of work...???  (And that is precisely the reason I give for not attending, if asked)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

I used to have a boss who would always ask if I would be willing to work on Christmas day.  I would always answer, "jesus never came to any of my birthday parties; why should I show up for one of his?"

• Haha 4

On 12/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, knightcore said:

Also I'm sick of christmas music because I'm a grinch I guess.

I still enjoy the Santa Claus stuff, like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, etc, but can do without the religious stuff.

• Like 2