TEG

A believer’s fallacy

It seems as though there is a formal logical fallacy underlying many believers’ attempts to convert nonbelievers:  “I am convinced that F is true, therefore you have to believe it too.”  (I would call it the believer’s fallacy, but that term is sometimes used differently.)  It would seem to arise from a lack of proper interpersonal boundaries, the inability to grasp the fact that other people may think and see the world differently from you.  “Of course god exists; how can you possibly not believe it?”  And it may be an ego thing, wanting to tell everyone else not just what to do, but what to think.  “The bible is god’s word, therefore I have the right to tell you what to believe and how to live.”  And as long as a person clings to this kind of reasoning, he/she is impossible to reason with.

It would be related to the following formal fallacies (read about them at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies; and obviously there are others that show up during this kind of argument as well).

Argumentum ad populum (“argument to the people”)
A fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many people believe it.
When an argument uses the appeal to the beliefs of a group of experts, it takes on the form of an appeal to authority; if the appeal is to the beliefs of a group of respected elders or the members of one’s community over a long time, then it takes on the form of an appeal to tradition.
(I would say that the believer’s fallacy similarly appeals to one’s own personal beliefs.)

Argument from incredulity
It asserts that a proposition must be false because it contradicts one’s personal expectations or beliefs, or is difficult to imagine.
Arguments from incredulity can sometimes arise from inappropriate emotional involvement, the conflation of fantasy and reality, a lack of understanding, or an instinctive “gut” reaction.
Expressed negatively:  I cannot imagine how F could be false; therefore F must be true.
(“I cannot imagine how anyone could not believe in god.”)

Ipse dixit (“he himself said it”)
An assertion without proof, or a dogmatic expression of opinion.
The fallacy of defending a proposition by baldly asserting that it is “just how it is” distorts the argument by opting out of it entirely; the claimant declares an issue to be intrinsic, and not changeable.

Truthiness
The belief or assertion that a particular statement is true based on the intuition or perceptions of some individual or individuals, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.
An appeal to emotion and “gut feeling” as a rhetorical device.

• Thanks 1