Goodbye Jesus

Not quite gone from here yet.

RealityCheck

It just occurred to me that I never bothered messaging an admin to delete my profile.  I'm not fully returning to this site, however I've decided to keep my account and just give everyone periodic updates.  Many changes have occurred since my last post.

In the beginning of September, I found out that I had to move out of the building I was living in down in the FL Keys.  The reason behind this requires it's own post but in a nutshell, I had to find another place to live and fast.  Rather than signing a lease and remaining in that small, toxic town, I decided it was time to move on.  As many of you know, I was down there helping my parents out and couldn't leave my mother behind after the passing of my dad.  However, I was only enabling her, she became lazy and unable to hold a job since she knew I would cover the bills.  I had to make the decision to let her be and now she has been forced to change her ways out of necessity.  That, combined with my own fear of leaving that town was stifling me so this displacement as been a blessing (not the best term to use in an Ex-Christian site I know).

I now live in the Raleigh area in North Carolina, I've made some rather bad choices in the last 10 years but this is NOT one of them.  I can't describe the way that I feel right now, for years I thought that I damaged my life beyond repair, that my chance to escape a mediocre existence was over.  It's like I've been sent a decade into the past with my current knowledge to fix my mistakes.  The door of opportunity that I thought shut behind me has been hacked back open.  Now that I am back in the "real world", I have the benefit of not wasting my time with religion or the church.  Everything is going to be about my own self improvement.  Ironically, I am living with a roommate who was part of that Christian friend circle from back in the day but is now also an atheist.

Another major change that I've made is abandoning all political groups.  Politics has nothing to offer me aside from having me dislike people that I would normally get along with.  It is hate just for the sake of hating.  And for what?  For a politician that is likely to break all promises and run business as usual as elected?  It's insanity, people doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  I have replaced this with an open mind and a willingness to engage with as many people with diverse views as possible.  On top of that, I actively go out and socialize right now, I would just rather have fun than be angry just for the sake of being angry.

Finally, I am working with a career counselor and putting significant effort into improving my career situation.  I spend most of my waking hours at work, if that time is negative then it will undermine everything else.  If this endeavor bears any fruit then I will let everyone know.

That's all for now, again this is just an update on my life for anyone that cares.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
59 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

That's all for now, again this is just an update on my life for anyone that cares.

We care.  Well I do anyway, so there's one of us at least 😉.  Glad you decided not to delete your account and glad you checked in with an update.  

I like your attitude.  You can't go too far wrong thinking like that.  Congrats on making those changes in your life!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome back to Reality. 

• Like 1

Thanx for checking in, @RealityCheck.

Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

There really IS life after religion! :jesus:

5 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

It just occurred to me that I never bothered messaging an admin to delete my profile.  I'm not fully returning to this site, however I've decided to keep my account and just give everyone periodic updates.  Many changes have occurred since my last post.

In the beginning of September, I found out that I had to move out of the building I was living in down in the FL Keys.  The reason behind this requires it's own post but in a nutshell, I had to find another place to live and fast.  Rather than signing a lease and remaining in that small, toxic town, I decided it was time to move on.  As many of you know, I was down there helping my parents out and couldn't leave my mother behind after the passing of my dad.  However, I was only enabling her, she became lazy and unable to hold a job since she knew I would cover the bills.  I had to make the decision to let her be and now she has been forced to change her ways out of necessity.  That, combined with my own fear of leaving that town was stifling me so this displacement as been a blessing (not the best term to use in an Ex-Christian site I know).

I now live in the Raleigh area in North Carolina, I've made some rather bad choices in the last 10 years but this is NOT one of them.  I can't describe the way that I feel right now, for years I thought that I damaged my life beyond repair, that my chance to escape a mediocre existence was over.  It's like I've been sent a decade into the past with my current knowledge to fix my mistakes.  The door of opportunity that I thought shut behind me has been hacked back open.  Now that I am back in the "real world", I have the benefit of not wasting my time with religion or the church.  Everything is going to be about my own self improvement.  Ironically, I am living with a roommate who was part of that Christian friend circle from back in the day but is now also an atheist.

Another major change that I've made is abandoning all political groups.  Politics has nothing to offer me aside from having me dislike people that I would normally get along with.  It is hate just for the sake of hating.  And for what?  For a politician that is likely to break all promises and run business as usual as elected?  It's insanity, people doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  I have replaced this with an open mind and a willingness to engage with as many people with diverse views as possible.  On top of that, I actively go out and socialize right now, I would just rather have fun than be angry just for the sake of being angry.

Finally, I am working with a career counselor and putting significant effort into improving my career situation.  I spend most of my waking hours at work, if that time is negative then it will undermine everything else.  If this endeavor bears any fruit then I will let everyone know.

Thanks for checking in. Looks like things are looking up. I'm happy for you. :)

And yes, politics is basically 'hate club.' I went non-partisan a few years ago. 

You know, you could delete this account and then come back as Reality Checkarcito just to fool us a bit. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for giving us your update, RealityCheck.  I must not have been paying attention, but I did not realize you were experiencing such personal trauma, aggravation and despair.  Good news that you have solved and/or mitigated those issues.

Keep in touch with this forum.  There is no reason to quit it.

• Like 1

Island time! 

I grew up in Islamorada. Then moved to mainland. But visited Lower Matecumbe to my grandparents house regularly through life. You can feel very isolated from the rest of the world when you're down there. Sort of like you're in a time warp. After a while it's good to head back to the mainland. But I always liked going down for a while until I got tired of it. Sometimes that would be a few weeks or a few months. But I surf, so my interests always lead me back up coast. 

Good on you via the political realization. I think you'll get along much better that way. 

32 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Island time! 

I grew up in Islamorada. Then moved to mainland. But visited Lower Matecumbe to my grandparents house regularly through life. You can feel very isolated from the rest of the world when you're down there. Sort of like you're in a time warp. After a while it's good to head back to the mainland. But I always liked going down for a while until I got tired of it. Sometimes that would be a few weeks or a few months. But I surf, so my interests always lead me back up coast. 

Good on you via the political realization. I think you'll get along much better that way. 

If you spent any time down there, then you are aware of the condition called the "Keys Disease".  For those not familiar, it is when people become too comfortable with island living and lose all motivation or desire for intellectual pursuits.  In this regard, my peers were some of the most "diseased" people you could ever meet.  This was a type of hell that I had to endure for several years and my only reprieve was a bi-annual vacation out of there.  Now that I'm back on the mainland, there is this energy around me because everyone is trying to accomplish something and/or better themselves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

If you spent any time down there, then you are aware of the condition called the "Keys Disease".  For those not familiar, it is when people become too comfortable with island living and lose all motivation or desire for intellectual pursuits.  In this regard, my peers were some of the most "diseased" people you could ever meet.  This was a type of hell that I had to endure for several years and my only reprieve was a bi-annual vacation out of there.  Now that I'm back on the mainland, there is this energy around me because everyone is trying to accomplish something and/or better themselves.

My relatives were some of the naturally intellectual of the region. High school educations, but above average IQ. Many of which made big money via investments, real estate, stocks, and boat building. So we grew up in a bubble outside of the "Keys Disease" lot. But I know what you're talking about. No shortage of idiots. 

On 12/4/2019 at 9:43 PM, Joshpantera said:

My relatives were some of the naturally intellectual of the region. High school educations, but above average IQ. Many of which made big money via investments, real estate, stocks, and boat building. So we grew up in a bubble outside of the "Keys Disease" lot. But I know what you're talking about. No shortage of idiots. 

I wouldn't call them idiots, some of them have had an interesting life.  Then they get down there and just give up.