Goodbye Jesus

Christians: A logic problem - an all knowing God and free will

LogicalFallacy

9 hours ago, Justus said:

That is the difference between the doctrine of Christ and Christian doctrines. 

Christian doctrines also say that all things are possible with God, but don't ask if it is possible for God to lie.

Hi Justus, happy new year. Haven't seen you for a bit.

Isn't it Christ that said all things are possible? Seems that it's a doctrine of Christ:

Matthew 19:26 New International Version (NIV)

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

So Jesus himself forgot to ask himself if he could in fact do all things. Apparently he cannot because in another bible verse it says God cannot lie.

It is perhaps more accurate to state that god can do all things that god can do. But then it becomes a tautology doesn't it?

9 hours ago, Justus said:

PS  Isn't Eden that planet with all the trees?

I am fairly certain, as in 100% certain, the bible describes Eden as a "garden" meaning it was a location on a planet. Which planet I'm not sure, but highly unlikely it was earth as we haven't seen talking snakes. :D 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Hi Justus, happy new year. Haven't seen you for a bit.

Isn't it Christ that said all things are possible? Seems that it's a doctrine of Christ:

Matthew 19:26 New International Version (NIV)

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

So Jesus himself forgot to ask himself if he could in fact do all things. Apparently he cannot because in another bible verse it says God cannot lie.

And something something about iron chariots...Judges 1:19.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:14 AM, Justus said:

That is the difference between the doctrine of Christ and Christian doctrines. 

We must learn the difference between Jesus the Christ and Christ Jesus ... 

One time at bandcamp when I was searching for knowledge I shuffled along the ground using my feet at approximately 2.5 miles per hour..... but then as wisdom grew , I no longer shuffled. No, I walked!

5 hours ago, midniterider said:

And something something about iron chariots...Judges 1:19.

True dat :D 

On 1/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Hi Justus, happy new year.

Thanx, and happy new year to you and all the members of the forum.  

On 1/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Haven't seen you for a bit.

Hadn't had much me time since the last time I posted,  kinda got involved in the November election in Texas regarding a proposed amendment to the State Constitution known as Prop 4 which was widely represented as an amendment that would permanently ban a State income tax on Texans.    For example here is an except of one such article published by the Hill County Community Journal

There is no current constitutional bar on imposing or collecting an individual income tax. The proposition is worded on the ballot so that a voter might think that voting “No” means he or she is voting against a state income tax. That would be wrong, in this case. The proposition is, to establish a permanent ban on a state income tax. Voting “yes” means a voter supports that permanent ban.  This is what it will say on the ballot:

Proposition 4  “The constitutional amendment prohibiting the imposition of an individual income tax, including a tax on each individual’s share of partnership and unincorporated association income.”

But the reason I mention it is due to a verse in Deuteronomy 32:20 wherein  it is written that the LORD said, "I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be...:"  Now one can take that he doesn't know what the end shall be since it isn't written that he has seen what their end will be.  But then again one doesn't need to actually see what the end shall be in order to know what the end shall be.  

The reason I became interested in the election regarding Prop 4 is due to the State Constitution at the time the amendment was proposed.   Section 24, Article 8 of the Texas Constitution which was repealed by the passage of Prop 4  prohibited any tax on personal income from taking effect until it was approved by a majority of votes in a state wide referendum, it also required that the State obtain the approval of the majority to voters in a state wide referendum on the rate which the personal income would be taxed by the State.

While advocates who supported Proposition 4 predicted that it would be approved by 90% of the voters, it has to make you wonder what they believed necessitated the need to amend the necessity of the people of Texas to approve any new tax on personal income, including the rate that would be taxed  on the personal income that they had to approve before it could take effect.  But it shouldn't gross anyone out that Section 24 was repealed since it was replaced by Section 24(a) which prohibits the State from taxing the net personal income of its residents. 

In such, I apologize for getting off topic but would be interested in hearing what those who pay a State income tax think about it, but it regards to your topic, since I don't know if the eternal God knows everything or not then I can't say that he doesn't.  But as far as free will, I don't consider free will to be the ability to do whatever we want or describes the ability to choose, so IMO free will is that our ability to do what can be done.