Goodbye Jesus

Praying for resurrection of child

midniterider

Redding... I was there when the preacher I promoted (David Hogan) preached about raising the dead and how he'd seen it 21 times, plus every part of the body healed or replaced. Charismatics eat that shit UP because it seems to validate their frustrating relationship with their powerless invisible friend who controls the universe.

We did the same thing in Portland's largest church (City Bible) when a beloved underling pastor died. I think it was 48 hours of prayer and fasting in the presence of the body. I brought handkerchiefs that had been prayed over by Hogan and his men, and that they anointed with oil. The body stayed cold and dead.

When healing doesn't happen, Hogan would harp on being even more committed since that is the only thing that looses the power of god.

The more obvious answer is that we were in a cult worshiping an imaginary friend, reading aloud the stories from a book of myths and expecting reality. But when a room full of people gets going in worship, one can feel all kinds of "manifestations" that seem to validate the reality of spiritual power. Not sure if it is group hypnosis/hysteria of a sort, or what exactly. But the dead stay dead, amputees stay amputees even if you feel "power".

• Thanks 4

The death of a child is always horribly tragic. I pity the parents, but this delusional "false hope" is something that raises my ire. I wish that they would stop this idiocy and get on with the natural grieving process.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know the cause of death. 

And let this be an example to viewers of this site as to why so many of us left religion. It gave us a false hope. If that works for you - so be it.

For those who would rather confront reality, either by choice or because reality is thrust upon all of us, kudos!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, Fuego said:

amputees stay amputees

In the week after I processed the self posed questions of "What if God is imaginary?  What would this imply for the people around me and the how/why they interact the way they do" I feverishly researched online to see if others had a similar revelation.  During this feverish search I ran across the "Why does god not heal amputees" website".  I completed the deconstruction process five days previously, now fully understanding that god did not exist (I had dismissed bible god four years prior).   But, this site was the first to hit my brain with the thought "Oh my!  It is so clear and obvious.  How could I of been sooooo stupid to fall for all of this.  How could I stay stuck in this crap for 25 adult years?"

This, in turn, sent me on a much longer search to answer the "why did/does this happen to me and others?" question, which Fuego is so well versed and articulate in.  I now am confident I have a firm grasp on most all of the processes that lead folks to a state of being programmed/indoctrinated.  I like being at this place in my knowledge.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2019 at 8:25 AM, midniterider said:

It would be interesting to know the cause of death. 

Prayer.

mwc

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, ConsiderTheSource said:

This, in turn, sent me on a much longer search to answer the "why did/does this happen to me and others?" question, which Fuego is so well versed and articulate in.  I now am confident I have a firm grasp on most all of the processes that lead folks to a state of being programmed/indoctrinated.  I like being at this place in my knowledge.

I have been asking myself this question too. Could you recommend books or links about the indoctrination/programming process?

8 hours ago, LostinParis said:

I have been asking myself this question too. Could you recommend books or links about the indoctrination/programming process?

I am not immediately aware of books or links, and this may be an oversimplification, but here is my take on the programming.  Most of us were born into a "faith".  Both sides of my family were believers, so I got a full dose of it.  But it wasn't as extreme as trying to raise people from the dead.  From an early age the beliefs were viewed as fact, or reality.  And if nothing happens to conflict that, it remains a reality.  That is your "world."   That is why cults like to isolate their members, especially the children, and censor their education.  That even happens on a grand scale in some societies.  They want the thinking to get deeply engrained. 

Children need positive attention/nurturing, and their biggest fear is of being abandoned, or hurt.  They don't like pain.  One way to raise very obedient children is to make the attention they get, and the avoidance of pain (their salvation) dependent upon obedience, and not questioning your authority.  And if enough fear is instilled into them, that becomes their life, and their mind tends to shut out anything that might cause abandonment or pain.  As an older person that can transfer over to God the parent, and the gates of Hell.  Evidently, eons ago, people who wanted to control the masses figured this out and developed religion and "not sparing the rod" in raising children.

In some cases, fear based upbringing, and perhaps some heredity or other neurological reasons, people can even use complete psychological denial to avoid potential "pain."  And in some cases severe trauma and it's pain, as in abuse, or tragic events, can be blocked out of conscious thinking, especially when it happens with children.  The earlier the fear based obedience begins, the deeper it tends to be in personality.  And it doesn't always have religion involved. 

It can be very complicated, but that is my simple explanation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 12:52 PM, LostinParis said:

No magic book got me to the point of understanding the process.  It was my cognitive processes, examining my life experiences, those of others, and the response patterns of these folks; bouncing the responses off of fact and reality, and reprocessing it all over again.

It was exhausting.  But, I got "there" after a few years.  Now, my mind is very much at peace with it all.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, Weezer said:

In some cases, fear based upbringing, and perhaps some heredity or other neurological reasons, people can even use complete psychological denial to avoid potential "pain."  And in some cases severe trauma and it's pain, as in abuse, or tragic events, can be blocked out of conscious thinking, especially when it happens with children.  The earlier the fear based obedience begins, the deeper it tends to be in personality.  And it doesn't always have religion involved. 

Wow. Thanks for explaining that so well.
This is exactly what happened within my ex-husband’s family. The abuse was blocked out of conscious thinking. And the fear-based upbringing about the gates of hell prevented them from ever questioning their beliefs/authority.
The indoctrination stops with my kids. I had to cut all ties with that side of the family. What a f#*king relief.

• Like 2