Sign in to follow this  
Moonobserver

Is Christian fundamentalism finding its moral compass again?

Nah. The fundamentalists call Christianity Today a liberal magazine. 

It is good to see CT take on the issue, though. 

• Like 2

It is hard to believe some of my "christian" relatives see Trump as god sent.  I am beginning to see how Hitler came to power.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

I am beginning to see how Hitler came to power.

Yep.

• Like 1

For every 10 christians, there are 10 different doctrines/interpretations/answers to any question asked.  Perhaps it's the same in other religions; I don't know.  What I do know is that there is no way a person could understand christianity according to my doctrine/interpretation/answer and simultaneously support Trump.  There's too much about "doing unto the least of these..." in the scriptures for the marriage of religion and conservatism to be anything more than a marriage of convenience.  And if there ever is a day of reck'nin', there'll be a metric shit-tonne of people pissing themselves for putting Trump in office. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

For every 10 christians, there are 10 different doctrines/interpretations/answers to any question asked.  Perhaps it's the same in other religions; I don't know.  What I do know is that there is no way a person could understand christianity according to my doctrine/interpretation/answer and simultaneously support Trump.  There's too much about "doing unto the least of these..." in the scriptures for the marriage of religion and conservatism to be anything more than a marriage of convenience.  And if there ever is a day of reck'nin', there'll be a metric shit-tonne of people pissing themselves for putting Trump in office. 

Christians who are big on hate and paranoia always revert to the Old Testament as their guide. All that NT shit about peace, love, kindness, etc. is for liberal pussies.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Even though I was politically conservative as a Christian, I still would've agreed with you about how bad Trump is. 

Even my parents, who are still conservative Christians, don't like Trump. They did vote for him because they always pull a straight Republican vote, but they would've rather had someone else as the Republican nominee. 

• Like 1

img (34) (1).jpeg

As a Christian, I would've found the first 5 things to be outrageous. It's amazing how many who blasted Bill Clinton just turn a blind eye to the fact that Trump is far worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Even my parents, who are still conservative Christians, don't like Trump. They did vote for him because they always pull a straight Republican vote, but they would've rather had someone else as the Republican nominee. 

I don’t think Conservative Christians are a unified MAGA-hat-wearing monolith.  Many are, many are not. 

• Like 1

I do know some Christians who normally vote Republican but refused to vote for Trump. My wife voted for Hillary and her sister voted for Johnson. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TABA said:

I don’t think Conservative Christians are a unified MAGA-hat-wearing monolith.  Many are, many are not. 

Yeah, my impression is that most of the religious people who are gung-ho for Trump are more of what I'd call "redneck Christians."

• Thanks 1

I don't really want to delve any deeper into the political side. Focusing on the religious side, as RNP pointed out, there are different kinds of Christians. I was more of an introspective Christian, concerned with discipleship, in-depth Bible study, personal moral growth, getting closer to God, and helping people. I was not a gun-toting, in-your-face dominionist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Yeah, my impression is that most of the religious people who are gung-ho for Trump are more of what I'd call "redneck Christians."

No offense taken.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No offense taken.

Haha. I didn't even think of that. Sorry, man.

I was thinking along the lines of the gun-toting loudmouths, many of whom don't really know much of what the Bible says, but rather just get worked up over what they hear from their preachers and FauxNews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it comes down to abortion. Extremist Christians will never back down on that and will vote accordingly, everything else being less important. 

• Like 2

Some of the republican xtians I know who support Trump are heavily invested in the stock market, and like the right wing judges he has appointed.  And hope he will be around to appoint more.  

I never thought I would send the publication a thank you for an article, but sent them an email today thanking them for the article about Trump.  Hopefully it will change a few minds.  He probably won't get thrown out of office, but maybe will make a difference in the election.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, older said:

I think it comes down to abortion. Extremist Christians will never back down on that and will vote accordingly, everything else being less important. 

Yeah, that's the primary issue for my parents. The only way they'd ever vote for a Democrat would be if we had a pro-life Democrat running against a pro-choice Republican. The likelihood of that happening is obviously quite slim.

I don't think Trump really cares about abortion, but he knows his base and goes along with their demands.

4 hours ago, Weezer said:

I never thought I would send the publication a thank you for an article, but sent them an email today thanking them for the article about Trump.  Hopefully it will change a few minds.  He probably won't get thrown out of office, but maybe will make a difference in the election.

I hadn't thought about doing that. Good idea.

However, even though Trump deserves to be removed, in the very unlikely event that it would happen, we'd be stuck with Pence. In some ways he'd be worse.

• Thanks 1

Seems relevant to the issue of Christians and Trump

img (40).jpeg

• Thanks 1

This impeachment, IMO, is for show only. This is about rallying the Dems base and converting some open minded Republicans & Independents to vote for the Democratic candidate in the next election. I believe that because Pelosi knows the votes are not there in the Senate to convict.

No sensible prosecutor would bring charges against a suspect knowing he didn’t have the evidence to convict. In Trumps case the evidence is there but the Jury is so bias they aren’t going to convict and everyone knows that. This impeachment is a political tactic designed to strengthen the Dems in the upcoming Presidential election.

The Republicans tried that with Clinton and it blew up in their face. The Dems are betting that won’t happen to them. It will be interesting to see if they’re right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Geezer said:

In Trumps case the evidence is there but the Jury is so bias they aren’t going to convict and everyone knows that.

BBY7TVf.jpeg.jpg

20191128_160504.png

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Weezer said:

It is hard to believe some of my "christian" relatives see Trump as god sent.  I am beginning to see how Hitler came to power.

I was there quite a while ago.

Trump is not Hitler. But there are lessons to be learned here. And no one seems interested in learning. As a Canadian, this situation is legitimately frightening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Weezer said:

It is hard to believe some of my "christian" relatives see Trump as god sent. 

And here's the latest from The Onion: "Prominent Evangelical Magazine Calls For Removing Trump From Holy Trinity"

CAROL STREAM, IL—In a scathing opinion piece published Thursday by Christianity Today, the evangelical magazine’s editor-in-chief Mark Galli made the case for President Trump’s removal from the Holy Trinity. “The president has demonstrated repeatedly that he lacks the ethical convictions necessary for us to continue worshipping him as a part of the triune God,” said Galli, explaining that when Trump was seated at the right hand of the Father, many Christians assumed his behavior would by extension be righteous and godly, but this has not been the case. “While it is not a decision we undertake lightly, our position is firm: If we do not reverse course now—if we continue to accept Mr. Trump as our Lord and Savior in spite of his blackened moral record—who will take the evangelical community seriously in the years to come?” Galli’s editorial goes on to reassure readers the magazine supports the deification of Vice President Pence, who in the event of Trump’s removal would ascend to a place alongside the Father and the Holy Spirit.

https://politics.theonion.com/prominent-evangelical-magazine-calls-for-removing-trump-1840559882

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, disillusioned said:

I was there quite a while ago.

Trump is not Hitler. But there are lessons to be learned here. And no one seems interested in learning. As a Canadian, this situation is legitimately frightening.

If it were Trump vs Trudeau, I’d vote None of the Above.  I’d vote for Stephen Harper for POTUS if he could run. 

As Citsonga noted above, if we remove the political issues, Trump still fails the "Christian Values" test. He has had three wives and has cheated on all three of them. He has bragged about sexually abusing women. He has made cruel and insensitive remarks about the disabled, prisoners of war, and the deceased. He lies on a regular basis. He has violated five of the Ten Commandments. And he has used vulgar words including "shit", "fuck", "son-of-a-bitch", and "motherfucker" in his public speeches. None of this is subject to dispute, yet so-called Christians somehow rationalize their support by claiming that he supports their long-term goals, which include prohibition of abortion, the subjugation of the LGBTQ community, and the creation of a theocracy. Thus the end justifies the means.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, older said:

And he has used vulgar words including "shit", "fuck", "son-of-a-bitch", and "motherfucker" in his public speeches.

He's even used "goddamn" at least a couple times, which is highly offensive to most Christians, yet many still say Trump is a Christian and Obama is a Muslim.

Cue the "Republicans in action" meme above.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.