Goodbye Jesus

What keeps people from joining atheism/agnosticism?

Christopherhays

1 hour ago, Citsonga said:

The belief system ("ism") goes with the "theism". The prefix "a" just means not. So, in other words, "atheism" means "not a god belief system". Thus, there's no grounds for them claiming that the word "atheism" means it's a belief system. 

True, but they think it does it anyway.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:38 PM, florduh said:

I refuse to fall prey to their semantic game; they coined the term "atheist" and I am not ashamed to say I don't believe in gods and this word makes that clear to them. They will think as they choose, that much is clear.

If you are in a position to be totally independent, and not worry about what others think, that is okay.  But there are situations where it will not be in your, or your children's, or your wife's, etc. best interest.  Sometimes you need to be pragmatic, or discreet, for your own, or others best interest.  

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, Weezer said:

If you are in a position to be totally independent, and not worry about what others think, that is okay.  But there are situations where it will not be in your, or your children's, or your wife's, etc. best interest.  Sometimes you need to be pragmatic, or discreet, for your own, or others best interest.  

I understand and have been there. It's not easy. However, this sounds like the advice gays were given years ago. I have concluded that dishonesty about who you are serves no one in the long run, though it may put off a few disagreements for awhile. I don't know how many times someone has found this site and posted, "I thought I was the only one." I have also had personal experience with this phenomenon. It's not easy for most, but let your light shine so things can get better for the next generation of people who do not believe. Maintaining a false peace wears one down eventually. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, florduh said:

I understand and have been there. It's not easy. However, this sounds like the advice gays were given years ago. I have concluded that dishonesty about who you are serves no one in the long run, though it may put off a few disagreements for awhile. I don't know how many times someone has found this site and posted, "I thought I was the only one." I have also had personal experience with this phenomenon. It's not easy for most, but let your light shine so things can get better for the next generation of people who do not believe. Maintaining a false peace wears one down eventually. 

Agree agree agree. I will not shout it out to employers for obvious reasons but if you're in my more personal life you're going to have to accept my agnosticism/athiesm. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 5:51 AM, florduh said:

I understand your position, but to me it's not an issue of being dishonest, but rather a matter of using lanuage they understand. To them, the term "atheist" is a much more negative term than to just say "I'm not a believer," or "I don't believe in gods." It seems to me that they see "atheists" as anti-Christian zealots who want to stamp out their religion. I see the latter phrases as just as honest but also not waiving a red flag in front of the bull.

• Like 3