Goodbye Jesus

Study Shows White Evangelicals Want Christian Supremacy, Not “Religious Freedom”

Citsonga

• Super Moderator

No! I don't believe it!

• Haha 2

I have frequently written in this space that fear is a key component of Christianity. Many Christians I encounter have numerous fears from the significant, fear of death or of Hell or the Devil, for example, to the inconsequential, such as fear of spiders or of the dark. I sometimes wonder if fear is intrinsic to their personalities, which in turn propels them toward religion, or if fear is instilled by the institution. Perhaps it's a bit of both. It is certainly perpetuated by the church. Of course, Christians will say they are not afraid because God walks with them and protects them, but the reality is that they are scared of the unknown and of those who are not like them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Who needed a study to find that out?

I always remember the words of Jesus saying how blessed they are when they are persecuted, etc, because that was how the prophets of old were treated. They sure as hell don't want that blessing. Nah, streets of gold are fine, just keep all that torture and whatnot far away. We'll just call it persecution when people don't like our church or don't vote for our candidates, yeah. We'll just pass enough laws to bring about the Kingdom of God©®™ where we get to do all we want to do and don't have all those pesky brown illegal aliens and hungry refugees begging for money. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thurisaz said:

Who needed a study to find that out?

There's more to the blog than just the headline. ;)

• Super Moderator
12 hours ago, older said:

Christians will say they are not afraid because God walks with them and protects them,

They still look both ways before crossing the street, though.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, older said:

...I sometimes wonder if fear is intrinsic to their personalities, which in turn propels them toward religion, or if fear is instilled by the institution. Perhaps it's a bit of both. It is certainly perpetuated by the church. Of course, Christians will say they are not afraid because God walks with them and protects them, but the reality is that they are scared of the unknown and of those who are not like them.

Yes, some of both.

My sister repremanded me for saying there is no god - and affirmed that god is looking after her. But she is the most insecure person I know. And dragging others with her on her road. Our parents have a lot to answer for - I wonder what St Peter said to them at the gate?  🤣

• Like 2

I mean it kinda loops back around to a lot of missionary colonization concepts. It's their way or the highway because there's no way someone as unenlightened as a non christian could be right.

• Like 1

Of course they want that. Most christian faiths have the idea of 1. Exclusive acces to ultimate truth 2. The duty to proselityze. 3. Universal appeal This one of the reasons of their resounding succes layer copied by the christian sect that became its own separate religion, Islam. 

Non Christians are to be talked to in order to be saved, not let to run the country. I mean christian factions fought violently among themselves, with millions of deaths. The others...are unenlightened demonically influenced - every convert to orthodox christianity has exorcisms pre baptism enacted on him - people. Sometimes I think christian misions in Asia failed in antiquity because most asians already had universal religions and pretty broad and well functioning states. Christianity did not become prevalent in the roman empire until the fourth century, in a time of roman decline and was adopted by emperors by chance I would say. Then the church hierarchy became a building block of the state. Speculation i admit but interesting speculation

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

Then the church hierarchy became a building block of the state. Speculation i admit but interesting speculation

I would say a pretty accurate speculation.