Goodbye Jesus

Christian views on Jews

Wertbag

As a Christian what was your view on Jews? I see some commentators talk about Judeo-Christian values, joining the two together as allies in certain ways and yet considering salvation is via Christ so all Jews will burn in hell?

Seems strange to think the whole OT is written about the Jews as gods chosen people and yet Christians think they now have it wrong for not believing in the NT. Like god doesn't care about the history or worship, its all about the new set of rules. 

But the Jews killed Christ! But Christ was a Jew! But we all follow the same god! But Christ is god so we don't anymore! 

The high school I went to was about 70 percent Jewish, and the local community was heavily Jewish. And the kids there were just as snotty as any other bunch of teenagers. Years later, when I was a wedding photographer, I noticed that the more fundamental Christian the weddings, the more up-tight the people seemed to be. The Catholics were more relaxed. Most of the fundamentalists treated me as hired help, and sometimes I was treated like a scullery maid. But the Jewish weddings were big parties and everyone was relaxed and having a great time. I was usually treated as one of the guests and sometimes invited to sit at one of the main tables with family members. I felt more welcome and at home among the Jews than I ever did among the Christians. If I was going to go back to religion I'd take a good look at Judaism.

(And besides, Yiddish slang is wonderful (mazel tov!)*, and kosher food is great. )

_______

*https://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know/

https://thoughtcatalog.com/nico-lang/2013/10/61-hilarious-yiddish-insults-you-need-to-know/

• Like 1

There was a default "Ooh-aah" that went with Jewish things, like blowing a shofar and having oil with frankincense and myrrh, and any Messianic Jews were given kind of a glow in the dark special treatment. That said, I didn't like what they were doing to the Palestinians, though others in my congregation were adamant that whatever they did was from God. They treat believers like that as useful idiots who will back them, and get our government to back them come hell or high water. 

Being related to some Jews, and having seen the gang-like orthodox in southern California, it is a cult like the rest. The different hats and outfits they parade in while going to temple are essentially gang signs, conforming to whichever rabbi they and their family follow. They call it cultural identity, but so little of it has to do with anything we recall from being Christians reading the OT, and a lot more to do with rabbinical alliance. Some are still fine people, and I've been to a nice whiskey tasting hosted by an observant Jew locally. I've wondered why anyone would cling to such stuff as cultural identity when there are so many crappy things about that identity. Create a new identity instead of conforming to a toxic belief and culture. So many families in general are toxic, there is no reason to honor bloodlines instead of behaviors. 

• Super Moderator
20 hours ago, Fuego said:

Messianic Jews were given kind of a glow in the dark special treatment.

Yes, MJs were highly sought after as speakers in Christian churches. Their presence validated the Christian myth for the congregation.

• Super Moderator

They are better than those lousy Irish.  🙄

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

They are better than those lousy Irish.  🙄

Oooooh, them’s fightin’ words, ya fecker!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, the Irish invented Guiness!     :beer:  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TABA said:

Oooooh, them’s fightin’ words, ya fecker!!

👍👍👍  my family would still be there, if not for the potato famine. 

• Super Moderator

A third of my genes are Irish, but I'm not an alcoholic. I do like potatoes, though.

To read in your best Irish accent:

The old man stumbled out of the Dublin pub and he spotted a small boy sitting on the curb, crying his eyes out. "What's wrong, sonny?" he asked. "I just found out me mum was killed in an accident." "Saints be with us! Would you like me to go get Father Flanagan?" "Thank ye, but no. Right now sex is the last thing on me mind."

• Haha 3

On 12/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, Wertbag said:

As a Christian what was your view on Jews? I see some commentators talk about Judeo-Christian values, joining the two together as allies in certain ways and yet considering salvation is via Christ so all Jews will burn in hell?

Seems strange to think the whole OT is written about the Jews as gods chosen people and yet Christians think they now have it wrong for not believing in the NT. Like god doesn't care about the history or worship, its all about the new set of rules. 

But the Jews killed Christ! But Christ was a Jew! But we all follow the same god! But Christ is god so we don't anymore! 

I believe "Judeo-Christian" is a modern (post-1920s) construction. Nobody from 100 to 1900 talked about "Judeo-Christian values." The main appeal of Christianity is that they were better than the Jews. They were the real chosen people, not the Jews. They (in their minds) triumphed over the Jews. 

The Bible was written by Jews for Jews. Unfortunately, they made the serious error of evangelizing (never a good idea), and brought in some Greeks and Latins ("Gentiles") to the fold at a certain point. After awhile, some of this faction decided that while the texts themselves were pretty cool, the whole "Jewish" aspect of the religion had to be whitewashed. There were no copyright laws in those days. So they essentially not only stole the main intellectual property of the Jews (which would have been bad enough), they compounded the theft by audaciously writing new scriptures that demonized the Jews. These actions have been the main source for the schizophrenia of the West for the last 2,000 years.

• Like 1

When I was a Christian I bought into the idea that the Old Testament pointed to the New Testament, as Paul said, "the law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ." So I believed that the Jews had been the god's chosen people, but that the promises of "forever" came with a caveat -- as long as they were obedient. So, when they disobeyed, the god sent them off into captivity. When they repented, the god let them go home. When they rejected the messiah, the god rejected them as a nation and within 100 years there was no more Israel.

I believed that people of Jewish descent could go to Heaven just like anybody else in the world -- they just had to become Christians!

I believed that Evangelicals were fighting against the god when they facilitated the return of Jewish people to Palestine in the mid- and late-20th century. I thought they were trying to help the god out just like Abraham had when he fathered Ishmael. I did not believe that Jesus was going to establish an earthly kingdom.

Anyway, overall I guess I was ambivalent about Jewish people. They were just like anybody else.

It still confuses me that many Evangelicals are still trying to help Russian Jews immigrate to Israel and want the US to support Israel, and other Evangelicals are very anti-Semitic.

Christian views on Jews:

It's a love/hate relationship 

As a former member of the Church of Christ, I have a vague recollection of preachers telling us to respect Jews, even though they were no longer the "Chosen People".

They were God's instrument of bringing Christ into the world, after all. Sure, the evil lil' buggers killed him an' all that, but that was part of the plan, dontcha know.

• Like 1

Also my memory of the CofC position.