Weezer

Faith in no-faith is being tested. Still stands.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I’m 74 my wife is 76. I’m in good health but she is having some issues. At our age death becomes a certainty rather than an abstract reality. Like you Weezer returning to religion isn’t an option for me either. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that both Heaven and Hell are myths created by ancient superstitious cultures. I am also convinced, after much study and research, that Jesus is a mythical character in a fictional story. Christianity is just one of many ancient man made religions.

Death is simply the end of life. There isn’t anything else. 

• Like 6

At 71 I feel like a kid here! Yeah, I'm okay with death, though I hate how it affects the still living.

I like the story about the Hospice worker who asked the terminal patient, "How does it feel to realize you'll die soon?" The response was, "How does it feel to not realize it?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I do appreciate the mature folks we have around here, who offer valuable perspective and wisdom.  At 59, I’m no spring chicken myself, but I do appreciate you guys!  I sometimes get hung up on my failure to seriously question my Christian beliefs earlier in life, but then I remind myself that so many people go right through life without questioning or growing, and I feel better. 

I wish all my Ex-Christian friends good health in 2020, especially those like Weezer who’ve been experiencing setbacks.  Sláinte! as we Irish say.  But even more important than physical health at the end of the day, may you enjoy the love of others and the peace that comes with a complete deconversion.  

• Like 6

I plan on being the last person to die during my lifetime. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

As Mark Twain once wrote: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and it hadn't caused me the slightest inconvenience."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Geezer said:

Death is simply the end of life. There isn’t anything else. 

You are probably right, but I haven't completely closed my mind to there being "something", "out there" we don't understand.  Some kind of "spirit" existence??  Reincarnation??   LOL!  If there is, and I die first, I'll come back and tell everybody!  

• Haha 1

I'll be 60 next week, Weezer. I'm an old guy at work, but pretty young on bulletin boards of this sort! Younger people are on tumblr.

I'm in okay health. I have a tachycardia condition that is fixable, but I don't like the fix (they go in and kill some nerve endings), so they gave me a beta-blocker to help control it. It's something that happens only a few times per year, anyway.

But my sister died of MS almost 2 years ago, and my brother found out that he has a tumor on his liver and another on his lung. Surgery number 1 is next week. Our mother is still hanging in there. She's 91, and has been on hospice about 7 or 8 months, but the condition that sent her to the hospital a couple of times in the spring (which is why she chose hospice -- no more hospitals) has been under control since then. I find myself wondering if she's going to outlive a second child.

Anyway, the mortality is right in front of us. I"m actually more afraid that I'm going to live 25 years beyond my wife and siblings. Truth is, I'm done. A year ago I wanted to see my grandchildren grow up, but somewhere in the last few months I've quit caring how long I live.

But, like you, I realize that I'm not at all worried about it. I cannot imagine life after death -- that we merely cease to exist seems rather obvious to me. The "mind" is an emergent property that requires a physical brain.

A few years ago I had my gallbladder removed. As I lay there waiting for them to start the anesthesia I realized that I wasn't the least bit worried. I thought I was supposed to be, but I just wasn't! Maybe that's a sign that I don't have much of an imagination.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to death, but I think it will be so wonderful I will save it for the last.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2019 at 2:01 AM, Weezer said:

I posted my leaving Christianity testimony almost 2 years ago,  but have another testimony.  I am 78 years old, but still functioning very well.  HA!  At least physically.  But there is a history of strokes on both sides of my family with a couple of sudden unexpected deaths.  Due to a suddenly occurring hearing problem, they did an MRI of my head and found I have already had 3 tiny strokes.  But they were not the cause of my hearing loss, and there are no other obvious after effects that aren't typical for my age.  But my mortality has reared it's head!!  

My New Testimony?   My de-conversion must be complete.  After decades of worrying about it, there are no second thoughts about my "salvation".  Hopefully this can encourage those who might be having second thoughts.

You're there. Me too. It feels good to be immune to all of the fictitious nonsense doesn't it?

Looking at death, dying and mortality. Meh, so what? Bible's still no alternative. 

Done deal.........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lerk said:

Maybe that's a sign that I don't have much of an imagination.

More like a sign of rational thinking?

• Like 1

Weezer said, " If there is, and I die first, I'll come back and tell everybody!" Sadly we have sent over one hundred billion before you and not a single one has returned to give us a report, which leaves us here speculating like this.

1 hour ago, DanForsman said:

Weezer said, " If there is, and I die first, I'll come back and tell everybody!" Sadly we have sent over one hundred billion before you and not a single one has returned to give us a report, which leaves us here speculating like this.

Yeah, if Harry Houdini couldn't do it, what chance do the rest of us have?

7 hours ago, DanForsman said:

Sadly we have sent over one hundred billion before you and not a single one has returned to give us a report, which leaves us here speculating like this.

5 hours ago, florduh said:

Yeah, if Harry Houdini couldn't do it, what chance do the rest of us have?

But, but, this talking serpent told me that if I would leave Christianity I could come back and talk to you guys!