Goodbye Jesus

The Importance of a Moment

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

For the past year or so I have been trying to become more mindful of, and present in, The Moment.  As this present Moment is all that I really have, It is Life; and a series of Moments is what my life will be, the sum total. 

So, a thought occurred to me today: if this Moment is my Life, then, by extension, whatever I am doing at this Moment, must be the most important thing in my life (at this Moment, anyway).  Thus, I should proceed with doing it as the most important thing in my life.  

I haven't really had the time to explore this thought fully; or work out the practical applications and implementations of it.  Just berbalizing it for now.

• Like 3

That's basically what mindfulness means for me, living in, taking in the moment. Maybe you were looking to start a more philosophical conversation about this but that's my two cents. 

• Super Moderator

23 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

That's basically what mindfulness means for me, living in, taking in the moment. Maybe you were looking to start a more philosophical conversation about this but that's my two cents. 

Right.  But let's say that in that Moment I am making a cup of tea, or some other "mindless" task.  I'm forgetting that all of my life (that moment) is making a cup of tea.  That cup of tea is the most important thing in my life.  How do I approach that?  

As I said, I haven't really had time to flesh out the thought.  But it seems as if my mind is trying to draw a distinction between observance of the Moment, or "taking it in", and living the Moment with deliberate determination.  

The first thing that pops into my head is the question "But is it?" Sometimes we have to pee, but it isn't philosophically important unless looking for an analogy of getting rid of stuff that you don't need. Tea can be a relaxing time, which contrasts with much of life. Right now I'm typing this (and eating jalepeno hummus and drinking stout), interacting with you over a concept after having worked a full day of physical labor. I find it worthwhile to bounce ideas around, partially to help myself see if I missed something that I should incorporate, partially to see if I have something worth contributing that may help another person make it through life more satisfyingly. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I figure you can't help but live in the moment. Takes no thought or effort at all.

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, florduh said:

I figure you can't help but live in the moment. Takes no thought or effort at all.

Being alive in the Moment takes no effort, perhaps.  Being cognizant of the Moment seems to be another story.  It's easy to make tea while thinking about the upcoming deadline, or the boy's next karate tournament, or what you should say to that asshole the next time he insists on heating up his garlic crusted tilapia filet in the break room.  It's a little harder to make tea while thinking of nothing else besides making tea.  

• Super Moderator
32 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Sometimes we have to pee, but it isn't philosophically important unless looking for an analogy of getting rid of stuff that you don't need.

I find peeing to be a refreshing reminder of our shared humanity.  It is very useful in learning to show compassion for others.  That douchebag in the diesel-guzzling 4x4 who cut you off on the interstate: he pees.  That Paris Hilton wannabe who vomits her essence all over the office: she pees.  Hell, I bet even a rich boy with an orange cotton candy comb-over probably pees just like the rest of us.

• Haha 4

Intetesting topic.  I have wrestled with what living in the moment really means.  I often have the problem of being preoccupied about something from the past, or something about the future.  Not being fully aware of what is going on in the here and now has caused problems in my marriage. Is this what you are talking about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Hell, I bet even a rich boy with an orange cotton candy comb-over probably pees just like the rest of us.

He will only pee in a gold plated urinal!

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Being alive in the Moment takes no effort, perhaps.  Being cognizant of the Moment seems to be another story.  It's easy to make tea while thinking about the upcoming deadline, or the boy's next karate tournament, or what you should say to that asshole the next time he insists on heating up his garlic crusted tilapia filet in the break room.  It's a little harder to make tea while thinking of nothing else besides making tea.  

My point is only that you are "thinking about the upcoming deadline" in this moment. Memories are experienced in this moment as is any future planning. Just my observation, not particularly deepity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Yes it's harder. That's essentially what mindfulness is. Paying attention to the scent, the flavor of your tea, the scenery around you as you sip it. It's actually difficult to do. It's almost a form of meditation. But after awhile it starts to calm your mind and ground you in the present in a way that makes you appreciate it more.  It slows down all the trillions of thoughts that automatically flip through our mind without effort, just because it is intentional.

I suppose I don't make a distinction. Taking it in and living it with deliberate determination are the same thing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Intetesting topic.  I have wrestled with what living in the moment really means.  I often have the problem of being preoccupied about something from the past, or something about the future.  Not being fully aware of what is going on in the here and now has caused problems in my marriage. Is this what you are talking about?

Sounds like it could be anxiety, the preoccupation? Just saying as I have some myself and actually "living in the moment" in a mindful sense can ease it quite a bit. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
7 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I suppose I don't make a distinction. Taking it in and living it with deliberate determination are the same thing. 

I think i am making a distiction because when I first started trying to train my brain to stay in the moment, observing it was about all i could do.  

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like "zen" thinking. Years ago, I read a book about zen and the practice of completely living in the moment and giving your current task, however small and trivial, your complete and undivided attention. I think it was called "Zen Keys". 

• Super Moderator

Sometimes the current moment is about worrying if you're in the current moment. Namaste, bitches.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, florduh said:

Sometimes the current moment is about worrying if you're in the current moment. Namaste, bitches.

And personally, when I am in a worrying state, I now ask myself 2 questions so I can get back to staying in the moment as quickly as possible.. I practice this purposely today because I have wished my whole life away and didn't pay enough attention to the many good things in my life and now I'm old. Life went by way too fast. So by staying in the moment and trying to enjoy it, I feel that I am able to slow down time a little. Lol 

I was always worried about 'something' so my mind was always busy with fear. When my thoughts run crazy now,  (and they do) they normally still are about things I are worried about.

The 2 questions I ask myself are: Can I fix this? (person, situation or organization) If the answer is no, I do my best to let it go. If I can 'fix' the worrying thoughts about a situation, I go about immediately to find a solution. Then I get back to my day and try staying in the nice moments.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, Derek said:

Sounds a lot like "zen" thinking. Years ago, I read a book about zen and the practice of completely living in the moment and giving your current task, however small and trivial, your complete and undivided attention. I think it was called "Zen Keys". 

I've heard about that form of zen before.  Whatever you do, strive for perfection in it.

10 hours ago, florduh said:

Anxiety and worry are more often related to what occurred in the past or what could occur in the future. 

This idea reminds me of Eccl 9:10, my favorite book of the Bible as a non-Chistian... (and Margee's too =))

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Insightful said:

This idea reminds me of Eccl 9:10, my favorite book of the Bible as a non-Chistian... (and Margee's too =))

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

I LOVED the king!! He was so effing pessimistic!! :yelrotflmao: But real!! 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, Insightful said:

I have different favorite verses (as a non-Christian), but you are quite right. In my opinion the New Testament is unenlightened garbage. But once you can recognize that the Old Testament is a.) not written by Christians, b.) does not support the notion of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, and c.) was written by fallible humans who were not divinely inspired, it is possible to recognize there's a lot of wisdom and introspection to be found here. Just as there is in any ancient literature whose popularity has endured into modern times.

• Like 1