Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Joshpantera

An atheist abroad!!!

Recommended Posts

My brother believes in a young earth.  6,000 years old?  Says God could have made it to look millions of years old.  How do you argue with that??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could start by asking him why a god would want to make things old.  The simpler explanation is that things really are that old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha!  I would get better results talking with a fence post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 1:25 AM, Astreja said:

You could start by asking him why a god would want to make things old.  The simpler explanation is that things really are that old.

 

He would probably say it's to test our faith. But again, you could respond with something like, 'isn't showing no evidence for gods existence enough of a test of faith as it is? Why is any more testing needed or necessary?' 

 

You could start stacking all of the cards. No evidence of gods existence. Creating a world to look old, to try and deceive his created beings. Making it look as though life has evolved, when it hasn't. Making it seem as though light is red shifted, and that red shifted light means an expanding universe, etc., etc. And maybe reflect on how this fits into the belief of a loving, all good god? 

 

But at the end of the day, it probably would be like talking to a fence post....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

The contractor got into some interesting stuff tonight. He explained how all dinosaur fossils and eggs are a hoax, made in China. To the extent that Lucy is a hoax. And all similar fossils given as evidence for evolution. Museum fossils, fake news basically. The devil being behind the whole shebang.

 

There's no reason to even argue or disagree with this guy.


Yeah, I don’t see any upside for you in revealing yourself as not a “godly man” to this guy.   He’s so hard-core, he could decide to do business next time with some Christian competitor of yours, even if his work isn’t quite as good or his price a bit higher. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, Derek said:

Yup...a tool... 😜

I got a short story...my employer is a deeply religious man. A while back he asked me how I spent my Sunday afternoon. I told him my wife and I went for a hike in the woods. His response was, "Why weren't you in church?" My reply..."maybe I was". He said nothing else.

 

The end. :)

 

 

Fantastickal response!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Astreja said:

You could start by asking him why a god would want to make things old.  The simpler explanation is that things really are that old.

 

Yes, why would God want to confuse his people like that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, midniterider said:

 

Yes, why would God want to confuse his people like that? 

 

Just for kicks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

 

Just for kicks?

 Maybe Abraham and Isaac know? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, midniterider said:

Yes, why would God want to confuse his people like that? 

  

I'd word it more strongly: "So God lies to his children?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, TABA said:


Yeah, I don’t see any upside for you in revealing yourself as not a “godly man” to this guy.   He’s so hard-core, he could decide to do business next time with some Christian competitor of yours, even if his work isn’t quite as good or his price a bit higher. 

 

So this guy is hardcore. He actually ran a "church of evolution" for a while just to try and prove the point that atheist's and scientists have a belief system based on faith in evolution. He put on parody sermons and had a congregation. Apparently that was a while back. Registered it and had religious status. He was in contact with Ken Ham about it. And he told me that he stopped because it was too much work to keep up with and everyone thought that the rabid atheist's, liberals and such, would come to find him and kill him!!!

 

Oi, fuck'n, vey!!!

 

He'd die if he understood who he was talking to. It's probably best that he doesn't. I only discuss religious issues around here with people that I deem ready enough to hear them. And only so far into the issues as I deem they are ready to be exposed to, based on their current state of awareness or personal place of doubt. This guy's completely off the map! I've kept the discussions aimed at politics in favor of keeping religion at arms length, put it that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

 

So this guy is hardcore. He actually ran a "church of evolution" for a while just to try and prove the point that atheist's and scientists have a belief system based on faith in evolution. He put on parody sermons and had a congregation. Apparently that was a while back. Registered it and had religious status. He was in contact with Ken Ham about it. And he told me that he stopped because it was too much work to keep up with and everyone thought that the rabid atheist's, liberals and such, would come to find him and kill him!!!

 

Oi, fuck'n, vey!!!

 

He'd die if he understood who was talking to. It's probably best that he doesn't. I only discuss religious issues around here with people that I deem ready enough to hear them. And only so far into the issues as I deem they are ready to be exposed to, based on their current state of awareness or personal place of doubt. This guy's completely off the map! I've kept the discussions aimed at politics in favor of keeping religion at arms length, put it that way. 

 

I'm sorry that you are doing work for Alex Jones. That really sucks. :)))

 

...

 

Matthew 5:43-48 New International Version (NIV)

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS IS A POWERFUL MOVEMENT THAT NEEDS TO BE WATCHED!  (I originally said stopped, but they are too powerful to be stopped)  I have watched the 5 parts of the Netflix series on "THE FAMILY", and have finished about half of the book.  This is a very sly movement operating all over the world.  They are out to take the world for God, through Jesus.  But they have a very slanted view of what the story of Jesus was all about. They are being very effective at working with powerful people in the USA at tearing down the wall separating church and state.   Some Evangicals have "swallowed their hook, line and sinker," and are using Trump to their advantage.

 

In effect they are sucking money and power to the top in any way they can.  They are out to take the world, and to many they appear to be saints from heaven.  They are the ones who sponsor the National Prayer Breakfast.  The book is interesting, but overly detailed for my liking.  For a quick overview, watch the Netflix series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, Weezer said:

THIS IS A POWERFUL MOVEMENT THAT NEEDS TO BE WATCHED!  (I originally said stopped, but they are too powerful to be stopped)  I have watched the 5 parts of the Netflix series on "THE FAMILY", and have finished about half of the book.  This is a very sly movement operating all over the world.  They are out to take the world for God, through Jesus.  But they have a very slanted view of what the story of Jesus was all about. They are being very effective at working with powerful people in the USA at tearing down the wall separating church and state.   Some Evangicals have "swallowed their hook, line and sinker," and are using Trump to their advantage.

 

In effect they are sucking money and power to the top in any way they can.  They are out to take the world, and to many they appear to be saints from heaven.  They are the ones who sponsor the National Prayer Breakfast.  The book is interesting, but overly detailed for my liking.  For a quick overview, watch the Netflix series. 

 

Thank goodness for term limits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, midniterider said:

 

Thank goodness for term limits. 

  

But, unfortunately, not in the House or Senate. It could be argued that the Speaker of the House and the Senate leader have more power than the president. Yes, the pres has the nuclear codes but lots of other kinds of damage can be caused by the legislature.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, older said:

  

But, unfortunately, not in the House or Senate. It could be argued that the Speaker of the House and the Senate leader have more power than the president. Yes, the pres has the nuclear codes but lots of other kinds of damage can be caused by the legislature.

 

True, we'll just have to vote the religious whack jobs out of office.

 

One problem they might have with taking over America for Jebus is the younger generation of "Nones", in a rapidly declining religious America.

 https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

 

I agree we should keep an eye on organizations like The Fellowship ... but they have been in business since 1935. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Price has commented on these christian and muslim fundamentalist flare ups in recent years. His take is that it's a natural fall out from religion losing ground in society. Especially where older fundamentalist ways are waning to new liberal forms of religion. This affects christianity and islam. Liberal theist's tend to water down the old hard line positions and that's part of it. And so these push backs flare up from the fundamentalist sides. And in Prices view, it's all signs of the decline and some last desperate grasps for air of an old dying beast. And looking at it that way, I tend to agree with him. 

 

This Fellowship business is more of the example. That's why I say good luck to them. Gaining power as religionists as religion is in rapid decline seems more of a going down with the ship while screaming orders and commands at the crew as the ship sinks. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's certainly worth following and paying attention to. I'm just not worried about them gaining major control or the country turning into a theocracy or anything like that. 

 

I don't think this contractor down here is associated with the fellowship. He's just an over zealous southern baptist certain that evolution is a hoax, and that museum fossils are made in China. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, older said:

 

 but lots of other kinds of damage can be caused by the legislature.

 

True, and if we get 1 or 2 more right wingers in the Supreme court, things will swing the Christian way.  I hope RUTH can hang on a while longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.